It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlled Lightning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I know someone who was hired by the government to research anti-ICBM technology. He told me the closest that they got was a aimed lighting bolt. Did anyone ever hear of such a thing?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A German team of researches has come up with a way to control (partially control) lightning using laser beam pulses.

They also experimented with a high voltage shock generator in simulated rain/dry conditions.

The discharge isn't affected much by either method. They do feel close to a better solution.

It's a fairly old idea (30+ years).

Naturally the practical application is in managing severe weather...the side product if they succeed is of course going to introduce a wide array of possibilities for weaponry.

Great white papers available online (pdf mostly) Google J. Kasparian and/ or R. Ackermann.

A bit more here Controlled High Voltage discharge

Lightning Attraction and the problems with lightning (PDF)

A definite great read on the subject is available from American Scientist

That should get you going

Love my electricity

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Aimed lighting bolt??

Telsa Coil anyone?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Any one hear of HAARP
((High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program))

[edit on 4-11-2006 by jwater88]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
More info on this site: Lightning on Demand

As for HAARP...

Not much success at all in that arena:

quote from :

Dr. Dennis Papadopoulos
Professor of Physics, University of Maryland
Senior Science Advisor, H.A.A.R.P
(High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program)

Tesla proposed that it might be possible to modify the weather, by using radio waves. I believe that this is impossible. I mean if I take really the most powerful facility, in the world, which is actually the Voice of America, and I look at the power that it sends, it's about one billionth of the power in a tornado. So it is the equivalent of trying to have a fly stop a tank. It's impossible, energetically, with radio waves. There is another reason: radio waves do not couple to the neutral atmosphere, they go straight through. So it's impossible in terms of energy, it's impossible in terms of physics.

It's pure nonsense that any radio facility even a million times stronger than HAARP would be able to change the weather.

I tend to agree on the above. I think the German researchers have the right idea.

top topics

join