It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't know if this is in the right place, but I was thinking about this earlier. I wonder if it would be possible to physically kill yourself in your thoughts (mind). Kind of like a CTRL, ALT, DEL, for you.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if thats what a coma is? We might be onto something here. Certainly would make sense to me?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think I've known people who commit mental suicide.

The one's I've known align themselves with a some group, sometimes religious, but not always, look at the world in black and white, answer all questions with a quote from some book and make snap judgements about everything and everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well,let me tell all of you a story.

In early 2002, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. My dad,2 sisters, and myself elected to help my mother through her terminal illness. My dad loved my mother very much.

Anyway, we had no idea that my dad was in worse shape than mother was. In about July of 2003, my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Now, my dad had said all along that he didn't think he could bear my mother passing before he did.

Well, on September 19 of 2004, my father succumbed to pancreatic cancer. He would have been 70 years old on November 16th of that year. I honestly believe that my father willed himself to die. I really do.

My mother died almost six months after. She passed away March 3, 2005. She was only 63 years old.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venoaris
I don't know if this is in the right place, but I was thinking about this earlier. I wonder if it would be possible to physically kill yourself in your thoughts (mind). Kind of like a CTRL, ALT, DEL, for you.

LOL, a CTRL-ALT-DEL... that's a good one

So can the mind be killed (or shut off) and the body still be alive...
-Or is the question...
Can you kill yourself physicaly with your mind?

The answer to both questions would be yes.

In the 'mind shut down' mode while the body is still living... an example would be found in mental institutions and nursing homes all across the world. They simply shut down - dead for all other purposes, accept the body still functions. There could be many reasons for this. The desire to quite/delete/call it quits/check out...
Or the body could be in such need of healing and repair that to allow itself to heal the body puts the person in a coma like state... many different reasons for this kind of thing to happen.

On the other hand - can the mind be used to kill the body? Yep. Most examples I know of 1st handed (or second handed) are more of the imagination killed the person (not that the person wanted to die). For instance, the coach that was kidnapped by 5 of the boys on the team. He was blind folded and tied up... he didn't know who had kidnapped him. The boys talked in detail about killing him, chopping off his head in a gullutine. They took him to a guymnazium in a different school, (continued to talk about "what they wre doing" as if they were getting him all set up in the gullutine)... they lifted him onto a table with his head resting on a block of wood that was carved as you would imagine.
Again, continueing to talk about the gullutine... One boy held and pulled gentaly on the head and another made a noise as if the gullutine was falling... at just the right moment, a 3rd boy dropped a shot towel over the coaches neck -

and that was that. He ws dead.

And of course you have those who decide to die - and do... we could go on and on with examples.

I hope I answered the question.

top topics

join