It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dispatches debate, Muslims and free speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Last night Channel 4 (what an excellent channel that is for diverse and provocative content......and no I have no connection with them at all) held a 'Dispatches debate' on Muslims and free speech.

It's extremely interesting and well worth a look -

TALK SHOW: The Dispatches Debate: Muslims And Free Speech
On: Channel 4
Date: Monday 23rd October 2006
Time: 20:00 to 21:00

Jon Snow chairs a special Dispatches debate on whether Muslims are threatening freedom of speech in the UK. Recent events such as the protests over remarks made by the Pope about the nature of Islam; to demonstrations over the publication of Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed; and to the censorship of works of art depicting holy scriptures have all raised an urgent question: whether the objections made by Muslims are legitimate reasons to prevent publication or display?
And, given the strength of those objections, are we now as a society afraid to speak out?
Jon Snow questions a series of guests who have been directly involved in these controversies.

www.uknova.com...

It can be found on bittorrent at UKNova.com but you need to be a member to get it.
(as I've said before it's a scrupulously legal site and is an exceptional repository for all sorts of British TV.......and no I have no connection beyond being an ordinary member)

If I can find it on another open site I will post the link.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Oh cool, will see if I can sign up, and watch the programme.

So have you watched the debate, was it any good any pointers?

See this is why Im glad we have channels like channel 4, at least most of their programmes are hard hitting unlike those on the BBC or Sky

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It was very interesting sj, as per it didn't really 'settle' anything but it was fairly wide-ranging and took some nice turns.

For instance, how free is our idea of 'free speech' in reality now anyway?
Does that or should that have any limits?
Does it or should it include the right to insult or do we have a right to live free of insults?

I think uknova is a great resource and full of good stuff, it's hard to get into but IMO well worth the effort, it's a limited membership but spaces do crop up from time to time.

join