It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current NHL News Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I am sure it is a small portion of our board who follow hockey on a regular basis, but I would like to create a thread to keep up with the events of this NHL season. I'll begin with a few topics, and hopefully other members will jump in with news of the past few days.

Anyone have any major surprises from the early portion of the season?

My two biggest:

Philadelphia Flyers
Buffalo Sabres

The Flyers have been so bad, while the Sabres have been so good. Although my Habbies have predicted a win tonight. (Well Janne Ninnama did, but anyways) The firing of Hitchcock & resignation of Clarke. Is it going to actually change anything? I don't see how Clarke stepping aside is going to have any immediate impact, but a fresh face behind the bench may make a difference. Although Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the league, so it may be a negative impact it has. Only time will tell.

How about Malkin, a goal in three straight games since debuting?

Lets leave it at that for now and open the door for other members to jump in. I know you hockey fans are out there, so lets hear your opinion.

Note:

I understand Sportz Tawk is a productive Message board for Sports chat but I find the board too quiet at times. I would much rather have a quality discussion on the subject right here at home on ATS.

So lets have at it hockey fans.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I honestly do not see how Hitchcock's firing and Clarke's resignation could make the team any better. I agree that someone needs to come in to the front office and behind the bench to possibly lift the teams spirits. I just don't see the Flyers getting into the playoffs this year. Plus, they need another goalie to replace Robert Esche. The guy lost the game against Buffalo by letting nine shots light up the lamp. The guys Philadelphia needs are Guy LaFluer or Pierre LaCroix in the front office and Scotty Bowman as their man behind the bench.

How about those Sabres winning games like they have been. Buffalo has won nine games in a row. That is, they are 9 -0 - 0 and leading the Adams Division, Prince of Wales Conference. I get the feeling that this team may make it deeper into the playoffs than what they did last year. Is it possible that I smell Lord Stanley's Cup making a stop in Buffalo, New York at seasons end? How can I forget about the season the Pittsburgh Penguins are having? They are in second in the Patrick Division, Campbell Conference, with a record of 4 - 3 behind New Jersey. Sid 'The Kid' Crosby has been almost unstopable.

Hope I didn't confuse you with the old conference and division names.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Well done.

I think Buffalo is 4 wins away from clinching a playoff spot.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
NHL record for consecutive wins is 10, which Buffalo may beat. Four more wins??? Try two more wins and they've already clinched a playoff berth!!! Just can't wait for the playoffs though.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Having a look at the current state of the Calgary Flames. Is Playfair to blame?

The core of the team has remained the same, additions of Tanguay & Friesen only help. Is the absense of Sutter behind the bench the downfall of this team?

Too early to tell if Playfair is the wrong person for the job, but I personally would rather see Sutter back at the helm.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Having a look at the current state of the Calgary Flames. Is Playfair to blame?

The core of the team has remained the same, additions of Tanguay & Friesen only help. Is the absense of Sutter behind the bench the downfall of this team?

Too early to tell if Playfair is the wrong person for the job, but I personally would rather see Sutter back at the helm.

I don't think that it's Playfair's fault that the team isn't doing to well right now. It could be that when Sutter left the head coaching spot, the team's spirit to compete just deflated. I agree that it is way too early to see if Playfair was the wrong person for the headcoaching job. I want to see Sutter back at the helm too becuse of with Calgary last year.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I watched the Habs & Leafs game last night and it was really entertaining.

My habs made a late charge to tie the game at 4 and basically steal a point. The shootout went deep into their benches with the leafs taking the second point. Was a great game.

The Sabres have finally lost a game, the Trasher took them down in OT.

How about Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh. Is he going to be the next Marc Andre Fleury? Play remarkable and get repayed by a demotion to the minors? The business ramifications should be the farthest thing from their mind right now, they are in first place in their division. Yet being the Penguins, they let confirmation that Staal is going to remain with the team linger. Thumbs down to the management of the Penguins for letting this sit as long as it has.

new topics

top topics

join