It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need the govenment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I was thinking about something earlier and i realized that we are having the government think for us. why? couldnt we just not have 'tony blair' and take decisions into our own hands? what would be wrong with that? all we get are asians taking all our new houses, mobiles, cars and stuff. he wont listen to us though, the amount of complaints going through every single second of the day. i would be soooo cool to just run our own country.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Interesting question...

In my opinion, yes we need a government, but we need a government that works. We need a government that works for us, the general populous... not a general populous that works for the government.

In my eyes, as goes with many subjects here at ATS... our government(s) should fear us, the people, not us, the people, fearing our government. After all, they are the one's "we" put in office to represent "us".

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The framers of this country were against government. However, they realized that "government is a necessary evil" as said by Benjamin Franklin. They took steps to limit power of any office and power be distributed, checks and balances. The power be distributed between the three branches. The power be distributed between federal and the states.

The federal government has grown in power over the state and local level.

The executive branch has accumulated unprecedent power. War is no longer declared by Congress. The power to declare war is handed to the Administration. The executive branch is judge and juror (Military Commissions Act).

The imbalance of power is destroying America. We need to go back to a constitutional government.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by tazadar]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tazadar
The framers of this country were against government. However, they realized that "government is a necessary evil" as said by Benjamin Franklin. They took steps to limit power of any office and power be distributed, checks and balances. The power be distributed between the three branches. The power be distributed between federal and the states.

The federal government has grown in power over the state and local level.

The executive branch has accumulated unprecedent power. War is no longer declared by Congress. The power to declare war is handed to the Administration. The executive branch is judge and juror (Military Commissions Act).

The imbalance of power is destroying America. We need to go back to a constitutional government.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by tazadar]

Actually, that's what I was going to say.

Thanks Tazadar

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemlock
couldnt we just not have 'tony blair' and take decisions into our own hands?

How? By plebiscite? Who determines when to have a plebiscite and what to have it on? If there was no UK government, who is the 'we' you are talking about? People that happen to live on an island north of continental europe?
What happens when half the people want one thing and the other half want something else?

all we get are asians taking all our new houses, mobiles, cars and stuff.

So? If you put something up for sale, anyone is entitled to purchase it. If an 'asian' bough your house, then its your fault for putting it up for sale or for not being able to make the payements.

i would be soooo cool to just run our own country.

And that is why we have government, to prevent people who'd prefer to be dictators for everyone else from coming to power.

tazadar
We need to go back to a constitutional government.

The US has a constitutional government. Granted, war powers have become blurred, as to what happens with an 'official, on formal paper with congressional letterhead 'war declarations. So what? Congress voted for the afghan and iraq war anyway, what does it matter that the executive has the ability to make executive military decisions? What war did we get into that is destroying our country that congress didn't vote for????

The executive branch is judge and juror

The executive has not replaced the judicial branch, even the military comissions trying members of al-qaida can be appealed in certain situations to the civilian military.

top topics

join