It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and UK Seek Iraq Exit Strategy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The Guardian today reports 'frantic' activity by the US and UK to outline an exit strategy from Iraq, up to and including consultations with Iran and Syria. This follows the recent loss of Amara to the Mahdi army, as well as the admitted failure of a recent US military anti-insurgency drive in Baghdad.

www.guardian.co.uk
Frantic efforts are under way in Washington and London to find an exit strategy for Iraq as a renewed surge in violence led George Bush to admit yesterday that tactics there might need to change.

Diplomats and politicians in both capitals are desperately reviewing and debating options that were once regarded as unthinkable.

The review was given added urgency yesterday when 800 gunmen, thought to be part of the Mahdi Army militia, ran amok in Amara, a town transferred by the British to Iraqi control only a month ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story seems to be growing on from the initial 'Whitehouse Panel' headed by James Baker and developing a life of it's own. The British seem to be very keen to leave (albeit not unilaterally) and the Bush administration seems to be reaching the conclusion that the war is not winnable.

Which really only leave the question: who's left in charge of Iraq when the US goes home, and indeed will there be an Iraq left to be in charge of? A split along ethnic lines a la Yugoslavia may well be the end result, with all the consequent problems *that* will entail. In addition Iran and Syria, who were supposed to be isolated by the whole Iraq adventure are now probably going to have to be consulted to stop the region descending into complete chaos during any withdrawal.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but the Bush/Cheney administration seem to be struggling to shut Pandora's box having opened it.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hindsight ?
It was the responsibility of leaders that took part in the coalition of the willing to plan for the consequences of removing Saddam. I will put it another way.
If I was to upgrade a computer Network and I went ahead with no plan and things went wrong I doubt that I would be given the benfit of hindsight. No one would defend me and I would be out of a job.

Partitioning Iraq along tribal lines is the only viable way out it would be foolish to continue with a course that is failing. IMO we will have to wait till the Bush admin is out of office before we a change of course. Its funny how we havnt heard from the people that said that the polilitical process was going to defeat the insurgents nor have we heard from the people that backed the claim that the insurgerency was in its last throws.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Oh oh oh!! I've got a good exit strategy for the future, if not now . . .

Don't go in the first place!!

I think this ethnic option doesn't sound all too bad, but of course the U.S. will manage to

[edit on 21/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If f the majority of people are telling you to get out, such as they are, just get the hell out. What need you a fancy elitist liberal thing like strategy?

Charter some planes, pack your bags, and spin it as usual.

"We left Iraq because our work was done. Mission Accomplished. Victory."
-George W. Bush, Nov. 11, 2006
-Bill O'Reilly, Nov. 11, 2006
-Rush Limbaugh, Nov. 11, 2006
All together now in Talking Points Memo harmony!

It'll be just like when Nixon pulled out of Vietnam, just like Watergate. Because those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. And this is the proof.

Will there be a third Republican Vietnam in 2032?

Columbus,
The Dove

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Columbus
Will there be a third Republican Vietnam in 2032?

For sure I would bet money on it.
Although we may see Military force proping up a government before 2032. A lot of well meaning people including Hollywood movie stars are calling for intervention in Sudan. Of course no one has a plan on on how to end the human rights abuses and murders e.t.c in the region. Nor is the plan on how the security situation would be maintained after UN or coalition forces leave Sudan.

[edit on 21-10-2006 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join