It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas 'Shocked' By Global Opposition To Its Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
One of the political advisers for a Hamas leader said in an article that Hamas was shocked at the opposition and sanctions levied against them by the countries that had previously given aide and support to the Palestinian government. Hamas said it participated in the elections because "Hamas felt encouraged by the U.S. call for more democracy in the Middle East. The U.S. and the European Union regard Hamas as a terrorist organization and refuse to support a government run by terrorist.

today.reuters.com
GAZA (Reuters) - Hamas, the Islamist group that runs the Palestinian government, said on Thursday it could never have imagined the vast international pressure it would come under after winning democratic elections earlier this year.

In a candid article published in the Palestinian press, Ahmed Youssef, a political adviser to Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, a Hamas leader, said the group had been shocked by the strength of opposition to its electoral victory.

"It went beyond all imagination," wrote Youssef.

"The government ... did not expect the pressures and the siege imposed on our people would be so harsh, so strong and so large in scale."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is hard to believe that Hamas would think that they would be welcomed into the worlds political forum when they are responsible for supporting and encouraging attacks on innocent people in Israel. Hamas is responsible for terror attacks in Israel and acted surprised and outraged when Israel "stopped transferring $60 million a month in taxes and custom receipts it collects on the Palestinian governments behalf." Did they actually think Israel would hand money over to them (Hamas) so they could use the money to fund terrorist actions against Israel.

Did they really think they would continue to get aide from other countries when the money they would receive would be used to pay for explosives for suicide bombers and to support the martyrs family after the act had been committed? Well, I guess they know the answer to that question now.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 19/10/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Hamas was created by Israël to counter Fatah. Fatah is corrupt to the bone by the US and Israël. Hamas is not a good government, not because of his leaders or his cause, but because of:
- Actions of foreign countries cutting aid and not supporting them
- Fatah supporters who didn't accept the victory of their opponement
- Israël trying to start a civil war by cutting everything to Palestinians and try to blame the Hamas for it

Where is democracy? Where is the respect of the palestinian choice? The US government talk about democracy in the middle-east, and when it happens and they are not happy, because their funding of Fatah didn't work, they boycott it. What a shame.

The palestinians prefer to not have democracy rather than to die in a civil war or of lack of medical supplies, food or water.

Mission Accomplished?

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Palestine has it's democracy. The people chose Hamas.

The US and Europe have their democracy. They choose to not support Hamas. Where is it stated that other democracies have to give money to people they don't like?

A child has freedom of choice, but not to do what they want without repercussions from their family and friends. Hamas makes the wrong choices, so they lose their friends. Pretty simple to me. Either learn to get along with your friends, get new friends, or go it alone and face your hardships.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Because they are in shiat. And the US and Israël are responsible, not the only one, for this whole mess. Those responsible pay, no?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I won't give a hungry man one peice of gold that says after his hunger is satisfied that he will try to kill me or my friends.

I will give a hungry man a bag of gold if he is willing to sit with me afterwards and plan a great friendship based on forgiving past wrongs that both sides have done and to live in peace with me and my friends.

Unfortunately some in the Middle East (and other parts of the world) believe "God" has told them to take the gold and kill those that provided it because some book, prophet, holy man, saviour, or charismatic leader says that killing those that don't think like you is the best way to solve problems. And yes there is a man in the White House who has similar nonsense running through his brain that God is on his side. God didn't give me one leg to hop around on, he gave me two. God didn't give me half a brain so I could be irrational and believe some nonsense, he gave me and humanity a full brain to seek and evaluate what is true...yet some decide that the brain God gave you is a bad thing and it is better to listen to a book or person that has half brain ideas.

[edit on 20/10/06 by Atomic]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
As long as groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah maintain their own armies/militias/whatever you want to call them, they are not political parties. We don't have a Republican army and Democratic Army in the U.S. do we? Or any other modern democracy?

If they want to be serious about democracy they all need to give up their military wings.

top topics

join