It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean "Dead Zones" Increase 34% in 2 Yrs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Another bleak finding, this time released by the UN:

Source

Scientists have found 200 "dead zones" in the world's oceans - places where pollution threatens fish, other marine life and the people who depend on them. The United Nations report Thursday showed a 34 percent jump in the number of such zones from just two years ago.

Apparently there is now a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico the size of New Jersey. Here's a list of some of the new ones found this year.

Researchers led by Robert Diaz, a marine scientist at Virginia's College of William and Mary, said they found new dead zones at the Archipelago Sea in Finland; Fosu Lagoon in Ghana; Pearl River estuary and Changjiang River in China; and Mersey River estuary in Britain.

Other new zones found were at the Elefsis Bay and Aegean Sea in Greece; Paracas Bay in Peru; Mondego River in Portugal; Montevideo Bay in Uruguay; and in the western Indian Ocean.

I just don't know what to say anymore, we are destroying our planet in so many ways.

Has anyone else noticed it is next to impossible to find fresh fish that isn't farmed raised already? Almost makes me wonder in a "soylent green" kind of way if there isn't something more to the fact that fish caught in the sea has practically vanished from our grocery stores.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
our sushi chef drives up to salt point, ca (nor-cal) early in the morning and speer-fishes his own 'specials' for that night. it's good stuff.

it does make you wonder when any type of 'alarm' will go off. shortages, etc.
i know central america is being over-fished, which is a whole other problem adding to pollution.

there should be a PSA reminding people the ocean is a critical entity. not to mention part of our bio-chain and food-chain.

join