It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is torture acceptable?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It depends on how torture is defined. However I wouldn't doubt that certain methods that may be regarded as -torture- would be required in order to obtain vital information from suspects. Typically these suspects are there because they have been identified as being involved in terrorist activity. So I refuse to call them 'innocent'. So yes, I do support these methods if they benefit the safety of American citizens.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
You know what? I'll go against the grind, and say YES! As long as you don't get caught, then it's acceptable, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I see no problem with torturing terrorists who are KNOWN to have information. In fact, every means possible should be taken to ensure that every last piece of helpful information is extracted.

Seems pretty simple to me.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I don't think direct pain (ie. cutting, electrocuting, burning) is acceptable or effective, but I have heard that things like cold/hot (within reason, say 50 to 100 degrees) rooms, sleep deprivation and loud music all work. Absolutely nothing can cause lasting physical harm, but we don't need to be giving them lobster meals and cable tv.

Personally, I think the best way to extract info is to force them to do somehting physically demanding (running or something), don't let them sleep and ask them tons of questions, most of which are basic (how old are you, where are you from, what is your name...). If you do that, it becomes very hard for people to concentrate well enough to lie effectively.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Torture is as acceptable as war. If you are not willing to do one then never do the other. You cannot win. That is why the US is losing the hearts and minds in Iraq and why we lost Viatnam. War is won by submitting the enemy population to your will through fear untill suficient time their children grow up and are educated to think your way.

Saddam understood this and eventually under his rule Iraq would have become unified.
We disrupted that process. War is not how a civilized Nation can win the hearts and minds of other Nations.

Once in war torture is used to try and gather information fromt he enemy that will cause your side to win. This after all is what war is all about. If you are not willing to do evil mean murderous things you should never start a war since you cannot hope to ever win.

You can how ever remove enemy leaders then leave the people to rebuild thier government. That is how Iraq should go down. More and more Iraqi's will start to fight for thier country agains us. It is just how it works. We would do the same if we are invaded.

We should have learned this in in Viatnam.

[edit on 21-10-2006 by Xeven]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join