It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Demands Death For US Citizen In Iraq - On Behalf Of Romania?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Here's Some More Information

And again, I don't want to send the wrong signal, because you know how I love you guys.

Here are some interesting articles from last year that offer a different perspective on this story and Mohammed Munaf:

Reporters sans frontières - Iraq / Romania 27 May 2005

Former American 'Hostage' Indicted for Plotting Romanian Hostage Taking

And Google also has some interesting "chatter" on all this as well:

www.google.com...

Personally, I'm concerned about the possibility of the U.S. government doing anything illegal, unethical or inappropriate under any circumstances -- and we know it has done these sorts of things too many times to count, so there's legitimate reason for concern.

I'm also very concerned about any case (such as Abdullah al-Muhajir, aka Jose Padilla) where a U.S. citizen is deprived of due process or other constitutional rights.

However, in this case, I'm concerned that there may be smoke without fire, and I really have a problem with the use of deception in controlling public opinion, whether by the government or its critics.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
this article

Romanian officials had indicated previously that they did not want to push ahead with charges, according to Munaf's attorneys. They said no Romanian representatives were present at Thursday's hearing.

It's pretty good prima facie evidence that the Romanians were not pressing charges if they didn't have a representative there in the courtroom.

OK Rich now I am going address this quote from your Washington Post story you seemed to think I was avoiding.

Basescu: Romanian authorities able to follow Munaf’s court case

Yesterday in Targu Mures, President Basescu dropped the bomb: the Romanian authorities had permanent access to Mohamad Munaf, and even the possibility to follow the judicial proceedings in his case, via video broadcasting, according to Mediafax. Basescu’s statements blow up everything the Ministry of Justice and the Romanian Embassy in Baghdad have maintained so far – that they had known nothing about Munaf being on trial in Iraq. Moreover, Basescu said very clearly that Munaf continued to be in American custody. In the light of this presidential disclosure, the entire scaffolding of explanations the Ministry of Justice has built all this time about the refused extradition is falling apart.

‘He was taken over into American custody. We do not have the right to take him’, stated Basescu, without explaining why Munaf had been taken by the Americans from the Romanian Embassy to Iraq immediately after the hostages had been released.

The president said that, although he was not very familiar with the Iraqi legislation, he hoped Mohamed Munaf would be granted the means of legal redress over his death sentence, Mediafax further reports.

Nine O"clock

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There goes the assumption that Romanian authorities did not watch the trail because this clearly shows they had a direct video feed. Now the question would be did any of them watch? Only the Romanians know that and you might want to read the whole article it contains some info that shows there is also a controversy of sorts in Romania, just how factual it is I do not know.

--------
MAJIC thanks for the links I am digesting them now. I also have several others but it takes time to read all articles

[edit on 10/19/2006 by shots]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Always do your reseach before you make your judgements. Just because someone said something doesn't mean it's true, so stop pointing fingers.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Ok, I guess the confusion is dissipating a littler bit.

Thanks Majic for your Majical intervention

So back in May 30, 2005 he was held in Iraq by US authorities, Now what kind of US authorities we have in Iraq? FBI, CIA HLS? Beside military?

Anybody knows?

Now, he is an American after all so I guess is ok to be held by US authorities.

October 17th, 2006

He got Sentences to death? By Iraqi Judge?

Well I guess that for now is hearsay until we get more information on the matter, been an American citizen is probably going to be all over the news, I hope, at least his execution.

And how he will die, by firing squat, gas, electric chair, lethal injection I kind of find that hard to imagine.

Critics say it is disingenuous because the prisons Munaf and others are being held in are operated by the U.S. military.

Is more US citizens held in Iraqi prisons? That is new to me.

Now as by the Washington post I guess the story most have some credibility. I find this very interesting as how the law will be interpreted for an American citizen caught in Iraq but by US custody.

I don’t get it, what rights does an American citizen may have? Iraqi laws? for been in Iraq or American for been under America Authorities in Iraq.

Confusing.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Post Rant Post

There's definitely more to the story, and I've posted some links which would seem to implicate Mr. Munaf as an accomplice to a brutal kidnapping and hostage ordeal.

However, I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, or if the U.S. government has acted inappropriately in this case or not.

Even if every news source available were carefully examined and analyzed, I suspect many questions would remain.

The fact that various sources seem to conflict or imply deception suggests that the credibility of all reports should be carefully considered before relying on them.

Any number of things are possible here, I'm not advocating any particular theory and I sure as hell am in no position to point fingers at Mr. Munaf, the U.S. government or any of the other parties involved based on what I know at this time.

I'm just recommending skepticism and informed discussion -- something I hope isn't too controversial a position to take.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join