It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are your favourite 'real' sf writers?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Try the long (novel) version of Blood Music. Good to the very end - and yes, very 'hard' sf.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
has anyone else read the works of Glen Cook? His Black Company series is one of the best things I've read in recent memory. The Dread Empire series is similarly engaging.

Also of interest (and of recent discovery by myself) are Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy and Karen Miller's (I think that's her name) Godspeaker trilogy.

Staples in the genre include Steven Brust and Melanie Rawn.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Tom Kratman, John Ringo, Michael Z. Williamson..........

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Top sf authers for me would have to be, alister reynolds, ian M banks and ken mcleod ( apsolute best ever in my op)

ive tryed clarkes "last theorm " and was sorely disapointed at one who is hyped as a grandmaster of sf.

mcleods "learning the world" is my fave first contact book and my all time fave is reynolds "pushong ice". also just read enders game and found it excelent, a twisty plot at the end and fairly well written to boot.

however I have also indulged in some fanboy purchaces of star trek novels and found some hidden jems. articles of the fediration is a very different trek and offers a clever take on the universes politics. startrek: titan is awsome and borders on becoming proper hard sf, mainly because of its islolation from the main trek storylines, "above a torrent sea" is paticularly good. trek novels atualy pay more atention to continuity and science than the tv seris ever did.

ps: tryed to read reality disfunctional twice but never got past the opening, such a dull writing style! jeff sommers "electric church" is good near future sf.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I see John Ringo has been mentioned and I'm glad. He is my current favorite SF writer as he's both humorous and deeply stimulating in his writing style. For instance, his "Legacy of Aldenata" series explores the concept of an alien invasion by a species that is barely sentient and ravenous in their quest for resources and "food" with a twist of other "aliens" aiding humans because humans are so violent compared to other species of their little corner of the galaxy.

Another good series by him is "Council Wars" series which looks at a future utopia where humanity has pretty much become gods because of their own technology and what happens when we suddenly lose their power. Excellent series that successfully combines Science fiction with a fantasy overlay.

David Weber is another of my favorites with is space opera "Honor Herrington" novels. Great space battles and pretty good science behind his works as well.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My absolute favourite would have to be Arthur C Clarke. Hands down, my biggest influence in the Sci-Fi genre. Just finished Songs of Distant Earth, fantastic.

As an exercise to improve my own writing style, at least once a month I write a small sequel to one of his stories. Nothing I'll ever have published, just to add to my portfolio.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Philip K. Dick is my favorite fiction author. Some of his books I enjoy more than others. VALIS is my all-time favorite book. The Divine Invasion, Scanner Darkly, Man in the High Castle, Transmigration of Timothy Archer are great books. There are many short stories he has written to which are fun reads.

One thing which I love about every single PKD book are the characters. He has an amazing ability to create characters in great detail.

After PKD comes Robert Heinlein and Author C. Clarke. But PKD rules my sci-fi world =)

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Mr_Blank]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_Blank

Agree with you about Valis though it's been a few years since I read it. I may have to dig it out again.

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Alistair Reynolds. Iain M Banks fans will enjoy him I think, especially the Revelation Space series. Chasm City is my favourite. Century Rain is a good book as well, with a different take on the usual space/future milieu.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join