It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel's President To Face Criminal Charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Israeli President Moshe Katsav is at the center of a sexual and rape allegation. He is also under pressure to resign office. Police told the attorney general that there is enough evidence to indict Mr. Katsav. The charges would be rape, sexual harassment, and wire tapping. He is Israel's first president from an Islamic country and first from a right wing party. He was born in Iran and was elected in 2000 who upset front-runner Shimon Peres.

www.news.com.au
Overnight, police told Attorney-General Menachem Mazuz there was enough evidence to indict Mr Katsav over charges of rape, sexual harassment and wire-tapping.

The police investigation, initially overshadowed by Israel's war in Lebanon, has brought Mr Katsav's otherwise solid public career into disrepute as he fends off increasing calls for his resignation.

The previously low-key head of state and married father of five is Israel's first president from an Islamic country and the first from a right-wing party.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After reading this two ideas came to mind. One, that no one should be above the law. So if the evidence is there then he should be arrested and subject to due process. Two, I can't help but question whether or not all that is being said happened, actually did happen. It is not like no one ever lied in the past to bring down a man in office. All can really do I think is to wait and see what happens.

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
www.ynetnews.com
www.alaskareport.com
www.unison.ie

[edit on 10-15-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Good catch, this news item, Red.

In general stories about mass murder do not glean attention like sex scandals do. I already smell something fishy in Israel. Do you think they learned from us Americans?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Good catch, this news item, Red.

In general stories about mass murder do not glean attention like sex scandals do. I already smell something fishy in Israel. Do you think they learned from us Americans?

Thanks Matyas

As to what draws atenchen, that I am not to sure about. The U.S. in general is much more up tight when it comes sexual issues. Because of that a sex scandle would not draw as much atenchen in other countries then it would in the U.S. But the charges that the report talked about is not a small deal. Like I said above some one lieing to remove a political figuer is not something unheard of, so that is still a possibility at this point.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ouch, this has a Lewinsky feel all over it.

In other Israeli scandal, Israel's Ambassador to Australia has been recalled to Tel Aviv to explain himself over reports that he spoke a racist anti-Asian diatribe. Something about Australia and Israel being similar since we're both "white race" and surrounded by Asians. Asians who he went on to redundantly describe as "yellow" and "slanted eyed".

Envoy recalled over 'Asian comments'

ISRAEL has recalled its ambassador to Australia to investigate comments he reportedly made on Asians.

Ambassador Naftali Tamir was believed to have been in Singapore on his way to Australia after a short holiday in Israel, when he received instructions to return immediately.

In an interview with the widely circulated daily, Haaretz, last week, Mr Tamir allegedly said Israel and Australia needed to co-operate because they were like sisters in Asia. "We are in Asia without the characteristics of Asians. We don't have yellow skin and slanted eyes. Asia is basically the yellow race. Australia and Israel are not — we are basically the white race," he was quoted as saying.

Embarrassment and scandal abound.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
FWIW, the Katsav scandal has been going on for quite some time now. It was first hitting Israeli press long before the Lebanon conflict etc.

As mentioned in the article, the office of president is pretty much ceremonial, from my reading I've never understood what he does besides go to state dinners and greet guests.

With two consecutive presidents having such controversies it makes me wonder why the office still exists anyways. The decisions are made by the PM and the Knesset parliament. Why keep an irrelevant office who's occupants can't stay out of trouble.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
With two consecutive presidents having such controversies it makes me wonder why the office still exists anyways. The decisions are made by the PM and the Knesset parliament. Why keep an irrelevant office who's occupants can't stay out of trouble.

Heads of State are a kind of constitutional 'get out of jail free' card for nations who fall prey to unfavourable leaders. Lets say Israel got rid of the President post, who would be able to stop a government from running amok?

In the United States the same function is exercised through Congress's right of impeachment. To remove the Israeli office of President would be akin to removing the US congress's right to impeach a US President.

[edit on 16/10/06 by subz]

new topics

top topics

join