It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT: North Korean A-Bomb May be a Fake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two U.S. government officials with access to classified information tell CNN that the initial air sampling over North Korea shows no indication of radioactive debris from the event Monday that North Korea says was an underground nuclear test.

www.cnn.com...

If true, this would be a huge embarassment to North Korea. Do you still think the sanctions would be justified?

[edit on 10/13/06 by RedDragon]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
True, it may be a fake. Just so they can use the UN to manipulate the US and other countries for charities and for funds, etc. Which for the people is good, but they still end up holding on to the dicatorship. Honestly, I still have no idea what to think of the bomb they blew up.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't see why North Korea would say they exploded a nuclear bomb if they had not, except of course to make other countries fear them and take them seriously, though I think they would have thought about the consequences of it and if the world found out it was a fake.

Either the bomb was a fake, or the U.S. and our allies want it to appear so. Why, I don't know.

I don't know if sanctions could be justified, since we do not even know what the nature of the weapon they tested is still, after all this time.

The world just gets crazier...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I may be mistaken here, but aren't most nuclear tests conducted in a manner that ensures the greatest capability of recording and analyzing said results?
i.e. underground (a dense substrate provides more accurate seismic readings), oceanic (strategically placed bouys and airborne monitoring devices), surface (well, I think we've all seen videos from those).

What I find odd is the Global variance of opinion as to "just what the hell took place".

The US seems to be [publicly] scratching it's head. Russia has reported that it was in fact nuclear, and possibly as large as 15Kt. China intially came to a nuclear conclusion, but has since seemed to back away from such.

It's not rocket science, here. Well, actually, it is ... but I think you get my drift.

Reportedly the test was conducted in a region with less than optimal geographic properties (i.e. soft substrate). Which leads me to wonder ... WHY?

If it was truly a Test, to determine the capabilities of a virgin nucular (sic) state, then wouldn't you seek a more optimal location to ensure the ability of monitoring/recording said results?

Unless, of course, it was simply another opportunity to stand on a soapbox and, yet again, spout threats to the world, in the hopes of using such as a bargaining chip. The squeaky wheel comes to mind, here.

Void of military action, which doesn't seem the desire nor best interests, by concerned parties, I see a situation where Only a unified Voice/Reaction would possibly achieve resolve.

Personally,
Regardless of what the initial intent may have been, I feel that Lil' Kim needs to be held accountable and his provocative actions firmly addressed.

IMO, the "boy who cried wolf" needs to be brought front and center and dealt with, whether to his liking or not.

Just sayin'
$.02

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
NK said there were no leaks straight after the test.

I think this is the US's only way of trying to get out of their predicament (ie, if they dont invade, they are liars about WMD. If they do invade, there will be massive losses) by insisting there is no nuclear bomb so no action is necessary.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
NK said there were no leaks straight after the test.

I think this is the US's only way of trying to get out of their predicament (ie, if they dont invade, they are liars about WMD. If they do invade, there will be massive losses) by insisting there is no nuclear bomb so no action is necessary.

Then the other countries have also join the American conspiracy to keep this quiet since they also said that they detected no radiation which could mean no nuke test, or at least failed to detonate properly.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

12m8keall2c wrote
Reportedly the test was conducted in a region with less than optimal geographic properties (i.e. soft substrate). Which leads me to wonder ... WHY?

Perhaps NK took a leaf out of the US's research book, and detonated their nuclear device in an excavated chamber in a salt dome - just as the US Government did in 1966.

If the test was conducted in an underground salt dome, it is unlikely that radioactive gaseous by products of the detonation will reach the surface, which would make verification extremely difficult.

This would also explain why the seismic shock wave was not as large as expected.

The process of detonating an underground nuclear device in a chamber, is known as 'decoupling', and is quite widespread knowledge. It can muffle a seismic wave by up to 70x.

see ATS thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

zero lift

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Then the other countries have also join the American conspiracy to keep this quiet since they also said that they detected no radiation which could mean no nuke test, or at least failed to detonate properly.

You misunderstand.

NK said there was no radiation leak. Now the US says the same. I think they will use that info to say there was no nuclear detonation so now action is necessary.

I hope that clears it up for you.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

You misunderstand.

NK said there was no radiation leak. Now the US says the same. I think they will use that info to say there was no nuclear detonation so now action is necessary.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Post the link to the source, so I can see where NK says it.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero lift
The process of detonating an underground nuclear device in a chamber, is known as 'decoupling', and is quite widespread knowledge. It can muffle a seismic wave by up to 70x.

see ATS thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for the insight, as it was most informative and appreciated.

However, if the core intent is/was to "Announce to the world" specific capabilities ... WHY?

It would seem prudent that the results of such a Test would be universally verifiable. No?

Otherwise ... what's the point?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So the test is conducted deep underground and they used a very low yield bomb so how would the radiation escape?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
It would seem prudent that the results of such a Test would be universally verifiable. No?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Post the link to the source, so I can see where NK says it.

there you go

news.bbc.co.uk...

"North Korea says it has carried out its first test of a nuclear weapon.

It said the underground test, carried out in defiance of international warnings, was a success and had not resulted in any leak of radiation. "

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think that this government should be extremely careful as to what they say. Those people are nuts and are already peeved off that we do not believe it was a nuke.

Are we trying to hide something for political reasons? Are we right? I dont know.

I think however, we should be very careful as to our approach to them- Lest they decide to launch something our way to verify that they have nukes. That would not be a pretty sight.
Diplomacy is extremely desirable in this situation- but look at our leaders!

They wouldnt know diplomacy if it crawled up their pant legs and bit them.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
zero lift,

I certainly cannot and will not debate you on that point.

My personal thoughts are Very similar to that which you purport.

While it remains "undefineable", it also remains in question. What better way to play your cards?

Quite the tenable "bargaining" chip. No?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, looks like the White House is confirming radiation at the test site.

No story link to give you, but it's all over the MSM, hit up CNN or somesuch.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia
Well, looks like the White House is confirming radiation at the test site.

No story link to give you, but it's all over the MSM, hit up CNN or somesuch.

I'm seeing it now. So much for containment of radiation that NK says it contained. No matter how secure it is, it would be leaked even if underground.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

zero lift,

I certainly cannot and will not debate you on that point.

My personal thoughts are Very similar to that which you purport.

While it remains "undefineable", it also remains in question. What better way to play your cards?

Quite the tenable "bargaining" chip. No?

Theres also the fact, 12m8keall2c, that NK have raised prevarication to a fine art. They love the 'long game'.

I remember reading an account of the 1950s Korean War peace talks, and NK always tried to drive their opponents up the wall with demands about: the size of the room where peace talks were to be held; the size of the table; the height of the table; etc.

Anything that would annoy their opponents.

zero lift

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, if the device misfired, the explosives would have blown the fissionable material all over the place instead of compressing it into the critical mass required for nuclear detonation. If that misfire happened, I would think there would still be plenty of radiation around the site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join