It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada gets own "3 Strikes" program.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Rehabilitation is, by and large, a myth. As for your friend...he CAN be treated with meds, but you can't KEEP him in there if he wants out. And, he may or may not kill someone. If he does, well then... I guess he'd have to pay the piper, just like any of us.

It's sad, but Canada values offenders more than victims.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As much as I'd like to agree with you, DE and intrepid, I grew up near Wingham and had most of my life to live with the questions surrounding Steven Truscott.

He was very nearly hung in Goderich, a town just south of me now, after being convicted of killing a little girl when he wasn't much more than a child himself.

There are 'circumstances' which suggest the killer may have been a serviceman from nearby Clinton, which had an airforce base at that time. That man was never brought to justice, even though he was a suspect for a number of assaults at the time.

Steven Truscott spent most of his life behind bars...at great cost to the taxpayers (me included). I'm glad he wasn't hung, though...because he was innocent of the crime.

He's not alone, though

injusticebusters.com...

Canadians who have been wrongfully convicted because of improper investigations combined with zealous Crown

Supreme Court orders new trial and quashes conviction in two more cases with improper disclosure issues

A round-up of wrongful convictions in Canada

Robert Baltovich
Michael Burns
Sebastian Burns
Rodney Cain
Wilbert Coffin (hanged, 1953)
Jason Dix
Jim Driskell
Jody Druken
Randy Druken
Michel Dumont
Peter Frumusa
Walter Gillespie and Robert Mailman
Clayton Johnson
Yvonne Johnson
Herman Kaglik
Darren Koehn
Kulaveeringsam "Kulam" Karthiresu
Stephen Leadbeater
Donald Marshall
Chris McCullough
Michael McTaggart
Felix Michaud
David Milgaard
Guy Paul Morin
Shannon Murrin
Jamie Nelson
Greg Parsons
Benoit Proulx
Atif Rafay
Louise Reynolds
Thomas Sophonow
Gary Staples
Steven Truscott
Joe Warren
Leon Walchuk

Death penalty?

~~~~~~~~
added link

[edit on 14-10-2006 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Oh my!

Look how fast this thread has grown.

Originally posted by DeusEx
Duzey, why is the onus on the bad guy a bad thing? I mean, look at the Jonathan killer. He's elligible for parole in seven years.

From what I understand, the Jonathan killer wouldn't have been affected by this kind of law. You would need to be convicted three times before it kicks in. Once the bill has been tabled and I have read it, I will be in a better position to decide if I like it or not.

In my (never humble) opinion, innocent until proven guilty is the foundation of our legal system. If the Crown thinks someone is a dangerous offender, they should be able to prove it. If making someone prove a negative isn't good enough for ATS, it certainly shouldn't be good enough for our court system.

And while the Young Offenders Act is an entirely different topic and it does need review, the only point I will make about it is that if it weren't for the YOA, Duzey would be unemployable. I had my record expunged when I turned 18. Everyone can make a mistake or two in their life.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
One WOULD point out that we don't know about the Jonathan killer, since HIS criminal record was also expunged when he turned 18. Also, was he not charged with a number of charges?

People make mistakes, but rape isn't one of them. Rape is a capital crime, and you hang those bastards high. Ditto murder.

I have no problem with innocent until proven guilty...it's English law, good law. but after three counts of violent offences, I think it's pretty clear you're 'guilty'.

DE

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I once had the 'pleasure' of working with a gentleman that had been convicted of murder and served his time. He killed the man who raped his daughter. In my mind, that's kind of justifiable and I would hate to see that count against him in a '3 strikes' situation.

We can kill all the pedophiles, however. I have no problem with that.

All I'm saying is that if such a thing were to come into effect, I would prefer if it were used on a case-by-case basis, with the Crown proving their case before a judge.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
S'the exception, not the rule, Duzey. To me, that's perfectly fine. Hell, it wouldn't have happened if we hung rapists instead of giving them a slap on the wrist.

As I said, this isn't the case. The guy who murdered his girlfriend, or shot another banger, or did a driveby...well, it should be up to him to figure out why he should be let free, since we don't have a hanging judge to our name. I wonder if they'll extend 'dangerous offender' status to members of criminal organizations. Couldn't hurt, right? I mean we have a revolving door system here, where bangers go in for six months for a drug or weapons charge, come out, get in a gunfight, serve another six months, get out...

DE

top topics

<< 1   >>

join