It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Beautiful Acoustic Guitar in the World (need Help)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I've been looking into getting an acoustic guitar so I've been doing a bit of research on the Internet because I don' t know the first thing about guitars.

I came across a guitar company called Seagull and fell in love with their beautifully crafted instruments.

I mean look at this guitar, F'ing gorgeous, I must have one.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Check out the Martin Guitar site. They are absolutely stunning, and play like butter. In my opinion, it is the finest guitar on the market. For beauty, performance, and tonal qualities.
Yep, Martin is my choice.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That IS one beautiful guitar !! although I am a fan of Ovation.....I would be proud to play that !!

[edit on 12-10-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
lombozo, I hear that Martin is one of the top acoustic guitar makers in the world but it comes with a price from what I've seen....they are very expansive. I'm sure they play well but I haven' t seen one that is as beautiful as the Seagull I posted above.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
How about getting a harp guitar?

Harpguitars.net Home Page

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow,, those are some wild looking Harp-guitars...!

I'd love to hear what one sounded like...

Might have to set my Takamine 12 string aside for one of those...

Very cool...

Can we get a sound-byte off one of these????

Thanks...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Good God Hellmutt.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have been playing on Ibanez for decades, and the acoustics they have are great. First they aren't expensive, I can't see paying over $1000 for an acoustic and the ones I play on are around $350. They sound great, but I also play throught the Bose cylindrical radiator amp. I lowered the action so the strings are lower then any other acoustic I have played on. My friends have Taylors and Martins that cost alot of money, and I still prefer my Ibanez. AE18NT is the model number for one of them, the other which is a newer version, is on load to a girl I know. I have played many shows and had many musicians ask about my guitars. They loved the sound and loved the way they played when I let them try it out.
I won't knock other brands, and this is my opinion. I would try one of these out before you drop some cash on something that may not turn out to be as good as you think. Make sure you get a great amp if you get one since that will make or break your sound. Thankfully Bose saved me from having to lug around a huge amp. I can go on and on about this, so i'm done for now. Enjoy and don't ever stop playing.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous

Can we get a sound-byte off one of these????

Maybe you'll find something here?

Like this one:
Eric Loy on Harp Guitar

But of course it won't be like hearing the real thing live, instead of hearing it through the soundcard on your computer...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
KL,

I recently sold a 1974 Guild D-35 on Ebay , for a friend. NOW, that was a beauty.

All original and in impeccable condition. The sound, well, that pretty much goes without saying.

Someone in Illinois did a B-I-N for $695.00. Well worth the price, IMO.

Having played it, having experienced the action and sound, I can't understand why anyone would feel the need to opt for the addition of a pickup [factory option].

The sound of a well-tuned and played acoustic is tough to beat, or should I say The Feel.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Taylor guitars are sort of the new kid on the block when it comes to acoustics but they make guitars that rival Martin. I can afford neither but I am extremely pleased with both sound and appearance of some Chinese imports that sport the
Fender, Washburn, Epiph0ne, Ovation, name.

I gig on weekends and have had so many good guitars stolen, I now travel with cheap Chinese Imports and they sound GREAT, so I leave the Gibson at home.

KL, that Seagull looks great but my suggestion would be to hold and play everything you can get your hands on. Even some guitars that most would consider junk have a soul that money can't buy.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice. Like I said I've never played a guitar but would like to learn. I would hate to spend $600 on a wonderful guitar only to find out that I can't and will likely never be able to play because I just don't get music or don't have the talent.

I'm thinking I might get something around $200 to test the waters. From everything I've read the Washburn D10S is the way to go. It was rated #1 by Acoustic Guitar magazine as the best guitar under $500.

Any other suggestions as to equipment or learning how to play?

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
KL, there are plenty of good computer programs to learn from.

A suggestion would be to get an acoustic/electric and a small amp. Sometime you need a little "push" to get the sound you hear in your head.

Chech out the Musicians Friend web site and Catalog.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Really? you think I should get an acoustic electric rather than an acoustic? Would it be easier to learn on an acoustic electric?

Thanks for the advice on the software learning option. I explored that a bit and I think I'll defiantly take that route. It looks far better than some of the DVD instructional videos I was looking at.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well, almost every guitar player I know winds up with a Strat sooner or later so having to option to play plugged or unplugged even in the beginning stages I feel is the way to go. Plus when you are plugged in, you don't have to bear down as hard to get a good sound. When your fingers are accustomed to the strings, then
you can go for the pure acoustic sound.

Get a good teacher to get you started. They will probably tell you I'm full of it.

What ever way you decide to go KL, have fun and remember playing the guitar is an art, not a competition sport so just be true to the music which ever way you decide to play it.

Do not get discouraged in the beginning; it won't take long until you will be in love with wire and wood.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Can someone with knowledge in guitars give me their opinion please?

I'm leaning towards getting an electric-acoustic so that I can play plugged or unplugged, seems like the best of both worlds.

Ibanes was recommended and I found this one in the price range that I want to spend on a first guitar. I can pick this one up for $250 and would like to know if it's a decent guitar.

www.ibanez.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ibanez makes a quality instrument and that model is a more than adequate to start on. Team that guitar up with a decent solid state amp, tuner, strap, picks and patch cord and play. Sometimes it's good to take your instrument to a good luthier to set it up for maximan playability.

A little further down the road you can upgrade to a valves [tubes] amp and some pedals and you can access any sound you can imagine. But ultimately regardless of what you play, be it a Martin or pawnshop junk, the music comes from your soul thru your fingers.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
kinglizard, Ibanez is a good brand, I tried them before... it all comes down to the player, not the guitar in the beginning. Later on when you are wanting some serious tone, then it's $$$$$

$250 thats a good price for starters.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hey there...you gotta try a Garrison!! Instead of a traditional wood bracing system inside the guitar Garrison has a patented fiberglass one piece mold. Allows for rich sound at very affordable prices. Visit the website and read the reviews. I have one and it is a beautiful instrument. Dealers are listed on the website. Les Paul himself gave them a thumbs up!

top topics

join