It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatwa against ringtones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
www.cellular-news.com...

Yep. This is real. A cell phone interrupted an Imam during his preaching and he issued a FATWA against ring tones. Anyone who breaks his 'no cell phone during worship' rule will be punished.

Actually, I really hate it when I'm in church and someones cell phone goes off. Just before Mass there is usually a reminder spoken from the altar that everyone should turn off cell phones. Every so often someone forgets and a phone will go off.

Usually the embarrassed person just apologizes and turns off the phone.

But hey ... a FATWA is stronger than a reminder. I'm sure no one will dare forget to turn off their phones.

www.cellular-news.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Mine's on permanent 'silent'. I despise mobile phone ring tones; the only one I'd use would be the normal ring ring type, but my phone seems to have everything but!!

Sounds like you wouldn't want to annoy this guy. Perhaps better just to turn the things off?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well, the imam would really hate my ringtone...

"When the Saints Go Marching In".

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Disneyland and a number of other places have electronic dampers so that your phones CAN'T receive any incoming calls when you're inside buildings. And if you think the Imam was harsh, you should see some of the Christian ministers and concert meisters and a variety of other speakers and professionals (including professors.)

In fact, my pharmacy refuses to deal with people who are talking on their cell phone.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
what's next? A jihad on ipods?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
In fact, my pharmacy refuses to deal with people who are talking on their cell phone.

I can actually see their point. Unless the conversation is pharmacy-related, like talking to a doctor's office.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Yes, our pharmacy has the same restriction. I think it's great. Our church also says a reminder to turn off cell phones before the Mass starts. I have a bumper sticker on my car - HANG UP AND DRIVE. Drivers on cell phones are an accident waiting to happen.

FATWA goes a bit far I think. I think the fella got his ego hurt when a cell phone went off during his preaching.

There are more gentle ways to deal with modern technology encroaching upon a worship service.

new topics

top topics

join