It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC vs Apple Mac - Which is better?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My main computer has given up the ghost and i'm soon to get a new one. I've seen the new Apple G-whatever Chip is the fastest processor u can get. I'd not really not ever thought about getting an apple mac b4. I've spoken to a few people at work about the different options. As you can expect the PC users say get a PC and the Mac users say get a Mac, but the difference is a lot of the mac users seem to try much harder to convince you, like they have somthing to prove or somthing. Why is this and which is better, i use my computer for video, the web, games and general word processing etc??

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
William will say Mac. hehe

thats my prediction I am not up on macs, so I say PC.

But I know macs are more secure, just not sure if most games are mac comp, but I am sure most of them are and will be.

I myself however like PC because it's what I was raised on

and Bill Gates controls my mind.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i would say a pc. but then again, i've never had a mac.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
just not sure if most games are mac comp, but I am sure most of them are and will be.

God that was horrible contradiction of myself lol what I meant to say is I have no idea how many games are Mac compatible.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What are you going to do with it ?
Is it for Games .Surfing ..Music ?
Macs kick Pc butt on some apps
But software variety for Pc is better

ect....

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
1) What will you be using the computer for?

2) How much does design/style matter to you?

I'm very partial to Mac's... more on that depending on your answers.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I will be using the comp for games / playing large video clips / web surfing / general word, excel etc. Not bothered what it looks like coz it sits under the desk.

And Lysergic........bill gates controls your mind.........scary

Which is cheaper to upgrade?

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by Kobyoshimaru]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well........i'm not all that knowledgable about computers. However if you want to play lots of games I would go with a PC. It can be very hard to find games for a Macintosh.
Though, I have many more problems with my PC than I ever did with any of my previous Macs. Eventually all those nice computer games brought me into Gate's empire though.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   
get a AMD 64bit cpu then... but get it after longhorne comes pout, then the prises will drop

theys 64bit cpus are going to revoltionize the pc market

3.000 x 2=6.000mhz

im not even going to explain that 64bit cpus are even 25% faster do to desighn inhansments

thats also 2x more ram

PC ALL THE WAY!!!

xn

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'd say PC. The last time I used a Mac it kept on freezing for no reason. The latest chips in the Macs is the G5, developed by IBM. I've read that the floating point performance is great.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
......god, its not the "mac" or the "pc" that make it "freaz"

it freazes becouse iether a OS! bug or more likly a application bug/error

hell, i got a 366mhz no video card 220 ram running xp pro no crashy!

and the reason old pc;s seam to crash is that they usly dont have enf RAM so its swamping like crazy sooner or later theres going to be a error

i dont like macs becouse there software isnt nearly as supported as windows.. and there hardware costs a arm and a leg...

i have to say it but you mac'ers need to GROW UP dang it!!

and if you dont like "windows" try linux to all you makers out there, at least "try" a uptodate windows system, i trust you you wont ferget it

i used to be a macer too untell i tryed a good working windows computers..

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Sounds like mabey I should stick to PCs.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kobyoshimaru
I will be using the comp for games / playing large video clips / web surfing / general word, excel etc.

Go PC.

Mac's are meant for getting stuff done, not fooling around.
So there are plenty more games for the PC.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have both, but price goes to PC hands down.

I used a apple g3 400 (b/w) and amd athlon 1800.

I still prefer the mac, so speed isn't everything.

if games are your thing then a PC is a must. Macs get game ports but only the biggest titles (which dosent bother me since I play maybe 1 or 2 games a year).

Mac's have less need for apps since the ones made for macs are normally better, esp since OSX has come out.

but test them out, that way you know what your getting into

if you do go PC then go AMD64 , if you go MAC G5 dual

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
For me, I just get stuff done on my computer. I have all these games, but I rarely play any of them. I mostly go on ATS, surf the net, type up stuff, do my HW, do stuff in photoshop/illustrator, go an ATS, stuff like that.

I reaaallllly reallly want a mac, badly!!!!

I read that these group of students at this university built the world's most powerful home computer by putting like 1500 G5's together. I forgot where I got the article from. It was really coo, they had to set up a new plumbing system to get the water in the building so the comps wouldn't explode.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
if you are doing mundane tasks such as surfing and utilizing windows based applications then a pc/clone would suit nicely, winxp pro is pretty stable as well...

if you were to be doing productivity type applications ie. studio, graphics, and multimedia then definately go for a mac...

the pros of the mac are its paralell processors which zoom through mhz on apps like a car with nitro's, and if you were to get serious about production most suites are more powerfull on a mac, also osx is unix based and one of the most stable os'es available and configurable as well...

the pros of the pc/clone are universability and cheapness of parts and labor for mundane issues...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Actually, the main difference between the two types of computers is the OS's. Windoze, like I have said in the past, is crap. Mac is much more stable, and I personally think that the design is alot better. You can see all these people condemning Windoze, but not Mac, so there is a difference.

There is also another OS out there, called Linux.
I don't see why people don't use it, I mean, it's a perfectly good OS, and it's FREE!!!!! YOu have to pay over $100 for a crappy OS like XP, when you can get a much better OS for free! Plus, don' t you think the penguin is just too cute?

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i was a computer scientist?

maybe you did, started in the ibm pc jr. days even then macs were more configurable other than just the gui platform...

unix/bsd/linux is the cleanest os in terms of stability...

in fact most corporations use a distribution of it...

windows is a very competent os for your day user with nothing in mind other than viewing things...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
XP is NOT crap.

i havnt had it crash at all on my gaming rig..

2700mhz
1 gig 3200 speed ram
radion 9700pro i have everything updated, anti virus, firewall and spyware software

iv had this pc on for 2 moths doing everything, stable as a rock

i tryed redhat 9.0 but i couldnt get ANY video software working becouse of a bug..... and "linux" was "sopsidly" bug "free"

everyone says macs are good with video, then there MUSt be truth

but i realy havnt heard anyone doing any seriece gaming on one...

i would LOVE to put mac os on one of my 3 "PC" computers but there anal about soporting PC hardware witch is better in alot of ways mainly video card's

my computer is mainly being held back from the harddrive witch is 80 gig 75.000 rpm 8mb cach,

when it loads most the time the cpou is only like 70% usege

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Dmsoldier]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
they are definately not crap in terms of whats available for pc/clones...
they are based on a kernel of nt(new technology)
and the file format is ntfs(new technology file system)...
some of the code resembles the stability of unix in that applications are independent of the core os(at least thats what you percieve)...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join