It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-ever "fully anonymous talk" given at Toorcon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I bumped across this on BoingBoing:

This year at Toorcon we had a talk that was done fully anonymously over Tor. As far as we can tell, it's the first anonymous talk ever given at a conference. Alan Bradley and Kevin Flynn gave the talk on methods for circumvent and conceal software copyright protection which technically violates the DMCA. Hopefully this sort of format will be used in the future to talk about somewhat controversial subjects without having to worry about the speakers being arrested (like Dmitry Sklyarov at Defcon and Steven Rambam at Hope). Alan Bradley ended up posting up his notes on how he got the talk to work, and so I just thought I'd share it in hopes that other conferences will adopt this setup.

I got to reading into how the "Onion Router" was created and I was somewhat surprised how it utilizes the Tor cloud for use with Ventrilo. The setup allows for a complete untracable discussion!

I find myself wondering the uses this router may bring forth.. truly anonymous government leaks maybe?

Do the homework:
tor.eff.org...
wiki.noreply.org...
www.toorcon.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
What would happen if such a system were to be used to transfer money without being able to trace it? Would a "Snow Crash" type of world come about, because if it does, I don't think I'd enjoy it that much. Though, working for a Mafia Pizza Delivery service does sound like fun, or being a RadiKS Kourier, or a Hacker in the Metaverse. Heh.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Uhh, I don't think this was the first-ever "fully anonymous talk," Dell's Customer Service Centers have been doing this type stuff for years!
Most of it is autonomous but the rest is anonymous.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Low Orbit]

join