It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influenza Breakthrough A New Treatment For All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Scientists at the University of Warwick in the UK, have announced that they have developed an entirely new way of treating Flu. What is remarkable about this new discovery though is that it treats all types and strains of the virus, and can be taken in a nasal spray form up to one day after being exposed to infection, and still work perfectly well.

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists say they are developing an entirely new way of providing instant protection against flu.

University of Warwick researchers used a flu virus naturally stripped of some genetic material to compete with other invading flu viruses. This slowed the rate of infection so much the body could fight it off.

In effect, the invading virus became its own vaccine by triggering an immune response sufficiently powerful to neutralise it before it could gain a strong enough foothold.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is fantastic news. The ability of this method to be a “one size fits all” type of treatment, as apposed to the traditional method of new vaccines every season taken by injection

I think this is Fantastic. The very real and present dangers posed by an Influenza outbreak are huge to humanity. The ability of this new treatment to be a "one size fits all" type of solution to an ever changing virus is absolutely brilliant. If it goes through to human trials with success it could save millions upon millions of both Lives and $ spent on health care, and current vaccines.

I hope both the UN and the UK government as a matter of urgency financially back this massively to get it to human trials as soon as is possible, and then to the world at large.

I also believe that this is the best discovery in modern medicine in many many years and the researchers if it is rolled out to humans should win the Nobel prize.

Related News Links:
www.freemarketnews.com
www.innovations-report.de
www2.warwick.ac.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/121/pg1
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/last121
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread112220/pg1
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread149413/pg1

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Holy cow man. Props to the British scientists for hitting it first!!

Has it been tested on a variety of strains yet to identify any particular problem viruses?

If this works out like we would like it too, influenza may go the way of smallpox right? We would have to begin spraying everything alive I think for that to happen actually.

apc

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I hope they get this proven and propagated quick! I'm paranoid after the flu almost killed me last year. I hadn't gotten it in years and never got a shot and then WHAM, in a hospital bed. My body had completely forgotten how to fight it.

I would just hope that this wouldn't have some form of backlash... That a host of strains don't become super bugs that our own immune systems would be useless against.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I hope this pans out. The vaccines always make me sick even though all the health professionals say that's impossible, but over the years I've either been made sick by the vaccine or had the incredible poor fortune to fall ill only days after having been vaccinated.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Great news indeed!! It looks as though genetic engineering is taking off in unexpected ways. Hopefully, in time, we can find a way to reverse diseases such as Cancer. Looks like the quality of life for people everywhere is going to be going up here soon.

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

join