It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the brink of extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Looking through the world airliner survey I have noticed three types of aircraft that are a hairs breadth from joining the Dodo, these are grand old types that in one case moved the art of airliner design forward a generation and in the other two cases gave birth to product lines that were highly successful and remained in production until very recently. There remains only two examples each of these three types in airline service, and at least one of the models will have completely disappeared by this time next year.

A salute then for the Aerospatiale Caravelle, the Handley Page Jetstream and the Douglas DC-9-20.

The other grand old timer that is close to the end of its life is the Vickers Viscount, of which only 6 remain in service today, all of them in Africa.

[edit on 4-10-2006 by waynos]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Only two Jetstreams left!

I'm really amazed by that - do you know where thay are Waynos?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
They are in service with TAAN in venezuela, although there are over 200 of the later BAE version serving (as there are many leter models of the DC-9 still serving) these are the last of the originals.

Once the Caravelles disappear though that will be it for the worlds first rear engined jetliner. I have reports from Flight magazine from the mid 1950's in which the caravelles engine arrangement is described as 'bizarre looking' and 'unwieldy', yet today, what looks more normal on an airliner than having its engines either on the rear fuselage or under the wings?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
although there are over 200 of the later BAE version serving

Errrr yeah, I kind of realised that was what you meant after I asked the question in a fit of astonishment. Nevertheless, I certainly echo your sentiments on these fine aircraft.

top topics

join