It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Network Problems HELP Please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I have a D-Link DI-524 Series Router. Connected to it is my cable modem, my computer and my brothers computer.

Me and my brother had setup a network using the network wizard and we could see each others computers fine and share files.

However My brother recently formatted his computer and now i cannot get the two computers to see each other in My Network Places... This is really frustrating can anyone offer any help?

Edit: BTW we are both using Microsoft XP.

[edit on 2-10-2006 by iCEdTenG]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
rerun the network wizard and create a new network might work.
also does he have all his drivers installed and make sure he has a folder created for sharing.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMachinist
rerun the network wizard and create a new network might work.
also does he have all his drivers installed and make sure he has a folder created for sharing.

I've rerun the network wizard and the router wizard many times.... All his drivers are installed. Now how do you create a sharing folder? Usually a sharing folder a appears when i have run the network wizard is this what your talking about?

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
have you tried switching off your firewalls and then tried looking for the network? when i first tried to set up my wireless network my laptop couldn't see it, it was only later that i found that windows firewall was blocking it.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
iCEdTenG have you and your brother disabled simple file sharing ?
To disable simple file sharing go Start - Windows Explorer - Folder options View.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I run Win2K, so this is a question ............. does XP need NetBEUI installed in the network in order to use File Sharing?

iCEdTenG, if you're here before anyone answers that, you can check by looking in your PC's Network box (on the PC that had no changes), see if you see that protocol installed (would be seen in the same box you see TCP/IP and Microsoft Client).

Misift

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
well you can do this. Make sure both Computers are using the same workgroup name. I always set WG-1 as the default name. You can do that by right clicking on MY Computer and Left Click on properties and go to Computer name from there.

Set both to WG-1 for Workgroup.

reboot

Ok now on the newly reformatted machine make sure that you have Microsoft Networking and Printer and File Sharing installed by looking at the properties of Local Area Connection 1 in your Control Panel under Network Connections

After you have done that, go to My computer and Right click on Local Disk C: and left click on Sharing and Security.

Click where it says " You understand the risks and still want to share the drive blah blah"

Click where it says Share this folder on the network and leave the share name as "C" and place a check where it says Allow network users to change files...click Apply and then OK.

to test it.
ok as an example say your computer name is Station-1 and your bothers is Station-2 from your machine click on Start then click on Run and type in

\\station-2\c and hit Enter or click OK

you should see station 1's folders. If you do, then close the box and go back to start/run and type \\station-2\ and hit enter

you should see the C drive listed and then you can right click on it and left click MAP Drive and set it to F or something like that.

Do the same for your brothers system to you.

Pie

[edit on 2-10-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
I run Win2K, so this is a question ............. does XP need NetBEUI installed in the network in order to use File Sharing?

Nope if my memory serves me correctly NetBeui isnt installed by default in Win XP in other words it cant installed from the Network connection dialog box .
Instead NetBeui can be installed from the Win XP CD should the legecy protocol be required.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I did everything thepieman told me to but still nothing and i cant find netbeui on my windows cd

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
NetBEUI is legacy now. It's an old non-routing protocol which doesn't tend to be used so don't worry too much about.

If both PCs are receiving their IP Config from your Router with DHCP, check that both machines are being assigned valid configs.

If a PC setup to use DHCP can't obtain an address it will automatically assign itself with something unusable.

Find out the IP Address of each machine the first three octets will probably 192 168 0 or 192 168 1.

If both machines have similar IP addresses, and the same subnet 255.255.255.0, try to see each machine with PING 192.168.0.? from a command line (CMD from Start\Run).

If PING gets a response from each machine, the problem lay with DNS, this means the PC see each other as IP addresses not Names.

If none of this makes sense, let me know.

Jon

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hey Jon thanks for the response... yes i can ping each machine from each other... what now? :bash:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Just a thought but I have run across instances where XP after a clean build has used an incorrect network driver getting the chip ID right but not the specific vendor implimentation (Macronix instead of SOHware or Realtek or something like that)... the Macronix driver would ping and give all semblance of normalcy but no Net and no LAN. If you need NetBEUI (for machine to machine look in the valueadd\msft\net\netbeui folder on the XP CD... it works if you copy over the nbf.sys and NETNBF.INF to the specs in NetBEUI.txt.

Maybe see what the NIC is and try and get a fresh driver... all the other recommendations sound fine. BTW: there are significant firmware upgrades for some routers depending on the harware and firmware revisions... look yours up.
The default IP for that router is 192.168.0.1 check the manual.

Cords (RJ-45) can sometines be a hassle same with individual LAN connectoin points on routers... try a different LAN port and a known good cable... if all else fails you might consider uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP... that used to fix stuff on earlier OS's pretty good but I've never had any trouble to speak of with TCP in MS XP pro...

Please be aware that sharing a whole hard drive from it's root can be more risky that sharing a discreet folder on a hard drive especially on an OS drive . Perhaps use a lower level directory as a share say sommething like C:\temp.

You can find the manual and other stuff about your router at the following link:
support.dlink.com...

Let us know how it works out.

Victor K.

38'

[edit on 3-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Im pretty sure i have the correct network drivers... i installed them from the manufacturers CD's

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Did you ever at one point install Zonealarm on your old machine? Did you shut down windows Firewall ? This is a strange one.

Pie

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
as i said above have you switched off your firewall? this can stop the machines seeing each other.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yeah i have shutdown both window firewalls i have no other firewalls running on my computer and im prety sure neither on my brothers

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is the NIC on-board or in a slot? If it is in a slot perhaps see if there are any IRQ conflicts (XP handles these pretty well normally). Consider forcing bios hardware enumeration "Non PnP" and see what happens... if it's not networking anyway perhaps try a different NIC... if it still won't do what you require pehaps something to do with the install may be corrupt or the firewall stuff isn't quite right.

Normally if you can ping something and you have the shares and workgroup correct and TCP then Bob's your uncle. Hope you get it figured out... sometimes sortin' this stuff out can get a bit frustrating. Try and be patient, you'll get it.

Victor K.

38'

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you can ping each other, id assume the network is all setup correctly.
try creating a shared directory on one pc's C: name the share TEST

go to your command prompt

net use X: \\[ipaddress]\test

see what happens...

have you tried SEARCHING for the PC ? instead of just looking in network neighborhood?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
Yeah i have shutdown both window firewalls i have no other firewalls running on my computer and im prety sure neither on my brothers

Yes but have you ever installed Zonealarm on yours and then uninstalled it? I've had many machines with this problem that Zonealarm did not fully uninstall itself and it screws up the network.

Can you get out to the internet on both machines??

I would also try uninstalling all the network protocals on your machine and reboot and reinstall just Microsoft Network, file and printer sharing and tcp/ip. You don't need QOS installed. Re share your drive as well.

Something is not right.

Pie

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
No i have never had zonealarm installed on my pc

top topics

<<   2 >>

join