It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's give our support to ATS members of the military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Everyone has an opinion on the "war on terror". There are those who agree with President Bush's aggressive stance against Al Quaida, the Taliban and the extremist Islamic groups. Likewise, there are those who would seek a more diplomatic/political tact to acheive peace and cordial relations with those we would call "our enemies". I am not here to argue the difference nor the merits or faults of either position.

I am here to suggest that we all come together to offer our support to the men and women of the military -- specifically those who happen to be members of this wonderful community.

The other night I was in the ATS Chat Rooms and I spoke with Deus Ex. I am sure that many who frequent these boards are familiar with the views, comments and biting wit of this young man. Deus mentioned that he had been accepted by the Canadian Forces and that he was heading off for training (sic, "boot camp"). I think that Deus Ex, and anyone familiar with the Canadian military is aware that this ATS member is certainly destined to make a service rotation to Afghanistan, a war zone, for a tour of duty.

It occured to me that we should support brave, dedicated and sincere young men and women, like Deus Ex, as they leave their familes, friends and their homes to serve their countries.

I would hope that Deus Ex and other members of ATS who are serving their countries would post their military addresses, email addresses or simply state the fact that they are in active service. Perhaps we can offer them our support, encouragement and, if possible, send them "care packages", especially as we approach the holiday season.

I know that sending letters or packages directly to these individuals might breach some sort of protocol or ettiquette but if they should post on this thread, you might pick out a familiar name and U2U that individual for any "private" info. In a sense, I am offering for consideration the concept of "adopting an ATS serviceman or woman".

I would also hope that any ATS members who are in active service might post their experiences. it would be interesting reading, I'm sure.

Good luck Deus Ex. I would hope that you could keep us all informed of your progress and your experiences. God speed.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
God speed Deus. You didn't even let on.

Does anyone remember Medic? Haven't heard from him in a LONG time.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I will think of DeusEx serving my nation. My nation needs more young folks like he... young folks that of their own informed volition choose to live a life of dedication and service. There's a shortage of that...

GD glad we got some Nyala RG-31's - not enough - but some. I wish he were destined for "a straight-up fight" - he isn't.

I'm gonna put in a good word with my maker on his behalf just like I do for all our folks who choose to serve.

Highest respects DeusEx,

Victor K.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This might be a good time to try this out then:

Its the 'service flag'.

www.legion.org...

displayed by families who have a loved one serving in the armed forces including the National Guard and Reserves of all military departments

One star for each member of the family in service during wartime, overseas or not.

Lets hope we don't need any gold-star versions.

And here is a version for sigs:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Our Canadian Service Flag is a little different with a different but similar history.

Here' a nice Marshal McLuhan article written in 1959 that details the genesis of our Flag Of Service amongst our other flags of occaision.

Those wishing more information may wish to contact the Canadian Legion.

Thanx much from the many who owe the few.

Victor K.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
My older brother served in Viet Nam. During that time, I was quite diligent in sending my brother and, eventually, some of his friends "care packages". Yes, "care packages" of items that are not regularly supplied by the military. It's lonely for young men and women who are serving their countries while posted thousands of miles from home. A letter -- even from a stranger -- or a care package filled with "odds and ends" can mean an awful lot to a young man or woman serving in the military.

What I am proposing is to set up a list of ATS members who are in active military service in the war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan. If an ATS member wishes, he can u2u an ATS member/soldier and request their "address". ATS members can then send that fellow ATS member a letter, a card, an e-mail or, better yet, a "care package".

The want list of items for a "care package" from home hasn't changed much since the Viet Nam war. Things that the young soldiers, far away from home, want include; playing cards, comic books, paperback novels, CD's, skin lotions (sun tan products, sunscreen, bug repellants), socks, aspirin/tylenol, gum, hard candies, portable games (chess/checker/backgammon sets), fingernail/toenail clippers, pens, writing pads, envelopes, crossword puzzle magazines, sunglasses etc. It's amazing the assortment of things, that we take for granted, that can provide comfort to the young men and women serving in the military in posts far from home.

If you know an ATS member serving in the military or if you ARE an ATS member in the military, please add your name to this list and maybe the ATS community can come together, put their political views aside and provide "one of our own" with a clear message that we care about them.

[edit on 9/29/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

[edit on 9/29/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Benevolent Tyrant what a wonderful idea. My brother has already done one tour of duty in Iraq and will more then likely do another. We sent him care packages and my daughter's 4-H group adopted his entire platoon and sent them packages and letters; at Christmas we sent 12 boxes of goodies and toilet articles we also made up stockings for each member that included international phone cards so they could call home. One of the boxes contained everything needed for a party including a tree and decorations. The kids had a great time and the soldiers loved it. Many of our soldiers and sailors receive no mail at all. It would be my honor to provide some touch of home for another soldier.

By the way you get my vote for way above.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
Benevolent Tyrant what a wonderful idea.

Thanks for your approval. At this point, this is simply an idea. What I would hope is that some of my fellow ATS members might make some suggestions as to how to make this "idea" a reality.

What I envision is a list of all active-duty ATS members. This list of active-duty ATS members would include men and women serving in the armed forces of the US, Canada, Great Britain, etc. That is, anyone serving their country in a war zone. Though I do suppose that everyone in the military needs support, those in war zones are in particular need.

The problems arise in just how to put this list together. One complicating factor is the need for member anonymity. That is, it is vital that a members true identity be, somehow, obscured for the protection of the member and his family from any possible negative consequences of his/her service.
During the Viet Nam war, military personnel were identified by the enemy and by "peace groups" for harrassment. I most assuredly do not want anything like this to happen. I just want to support the men and women of their respective nations for the service that they provide. This has nothing to do with politics. It is simply an act of humanity, of support.

If you have any suggestions on how to put such a project together and make it work, please submit your ideas. It would be great if we could all pull together so that we could at least be in a position to offer our collective "thanks" and appreciation before the Christmas Season. If not, then we could hopefully be able to offer our support throughout the coming New Year. It's the least we can do for these brave men and women who are sacrificing so much in the service of their countries.

How about it guys?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Medic and I used to talk, every day that he was on ATS. I put a link to his website on my site (found on the "Patriot Page" about 2/3 way down), and let him know where to find it. His site of his is no longer working, or has changed. I am not sure...

I'm all for showing our support to those who are over seas, but am against the collecting of their addresses, that is a security risk, however a proxy or trusted source for a collection center, should be arrainged to manage any such support offerings.

This would ensure no hate mail or worse can be sent to those we care for.

I have seen other groups who have started these care packages, and heard it worked well. Even a group for pagan soldiers, not sure why it would matter, but maybe some bias was involved. In any case they are great ideas, just need to be conducted correctly. Maybe even set of a meet or phone conference with the RedCross.

BT, you know I am more than willing to, let us see what can be done.

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
--Thomas Paine

I can think of other forums and threads the above quote would go well in.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
attention all ATS members in the military

i appreciate what you're going through, and i want to bring you people back as soon as possible

i'm sorry that you have to lay your life on the line all the time

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
While I have been contemplating different ideas about offering our support to ATS members of the U.S. military (and, of course to ATS members who might be in the military of other nations involved in the coalition; U.K., Canada, Netherlands, Poland, etc.) I have come across a site that will allow you to send a message to the troops.....at least American troops. If you come across sites that would allow you to offer support for the troops of other coaltion nations, please add the site here;

SUPPORT US TROOPS

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
To give our support to the members of the CANADIAN FORCES use this link to access a special page through which you can send your messages

SUPPORT OUR CANADIAN FORCES

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I understand that Above Top Secret is an international site. We have members from numerous countries from around the world.

I would ask that you all support the troops of your respective nations in their efforts in Afghanistan as part of NATO

ISAF contributing nations
(as of 21 February 2005)
NATO Nations
Belgium
Bulgaria
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States
Partner Nations
Albania
Austria
Azerbaijan
Croatia
Finland
former Yougoslov Republic of Macedonia (1)
Ireland
Sweden
Switzerland
Non-NATO / Non-EAPC nations
New Zealand

If you have links to pages through which people can send "messages of supprt" to members of their respective military, please include that link in a post.

I will assemble a page with all the links when I have accumulated the data.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Canadian ATS Members in support of our comrade in Active Duty

November 11th is Remembrance Day in Canada. This is a day when Canadians remember and honor the tens of thousands of Canadians who have selflessly served their country in the military.

Let Canadians everywhere take a moment to reflect upon the dedication of these fine servicemen and women of the Canadian Forces who have served in past military missions and who continue to serve their country, striving to establish peace and stability in a chaotic world.

At this same time, we would hope that the Canadian members of Above Top Secret would honor one of their own... Deus Ex. Deus Ex is currently in Basic Training.

One way that Canadian ATS members can show their respect and honor for the proud men and women of the CDN Forces -- especially one of their own, Deus Ex -- is by accepting this avatar designed by Chissler and by adding this "signature tag"; • Deus Ex - Supporting our Comrade on Active Duty •

I would suggest that this avatar (designed by Chissler) be used from November 11th, Remembrance Day and, at least, through the month of November in tribute, honor and respect for Deus Ex (one of our own) and for the men and women who have served and who continue to serve their Country.

----------------------------------------------------------------

More than 3,000 Canadian soldiers, sailors and Air Force personnel are deployed overseas on operational missions. On any given day, about 8,000 Canadian Forces members - one third of our deployable force - are preparing for, engaged in or returning from an overseas mission.

Since 1947, the CF has completed 72 international operations. That figure does not include current operations, or the many CF operations carried out in Canada. www.forces.gc.ca...

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
My little brother, has already served one tour in Iraq, and in March is headed over for another while attached to an MP unit of the NG. All my prayers go with him and all the others who have that sort of courage and level of commitment. To those of you on ATS who have or will go where the smoke and fire are, my thanks and my prayers have always been yours, past, present, and future.

I'll second the call for us herein to set aside our differences of opinion on the WOT at least temporarily, to let our freinds here know we care and support them.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by seagull]

new topics

top topics

join