It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears of Muslim Attack Cause Opera Cancellation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
As a pre-emptive measure over possible Islamic fury against a scene which depicts the severed head of the prophet Muhammed and Jesus. A Berlin opera company has cancelled the Mozart production amid fears that the production would cause an outcry from the Muslim community.

news.bbc.co.uk
A Berlin opera company cancelled a Mozart production over security fears because it features the severed heads of the Prophet Muhammad and Jesus.
Deutsche Oper said "incalculable" security risks would be posed by staging Idomeneo.

"We know the consequences of the conflict over the (Muhammad) caricatures," the opera company said in a statement.

We believe that needs to be taken very seriously and hope for your support."

The opera was staged in Berlin in 2003, drawing criticism over a scene where the king presents the heads of Greek sea god Poseidon, Muhammad, Jesus and Buddha.

The director, Kirsten Harms, said security officials had now warned of possible problems if the production went ahead, and that it was in the best interests of performers and opera-goers to cancel it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While Berlin's mayor, Klaus Wowereit has said that the production's director had made the wrong decision to scrap the opera, Germany's Islamic council leader, Ali Kizilkaya supported the cancellation saying that the Muhammed depiction could possibly offend someone.

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
www.news.com.au

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Idomeneo is one of the great operas and it was staged last season at the New York Met. Islam is one of the world's great religions and is one deeply misunderstood by the west. Unfortunately it is also deeply misunderstood my many is Islam.... this is nothing new, the teachings of Jesus never caught on in the west either.

Religions are what the teachings of a spiritual master become when his followers realize how hard it is to live up to them.

It is sad when people of any religious persussion are incapable of understanding context. There was an uproar here in Va recently over some cartoons that were published in the UVA student paper that was taken as being disrespectful of Jesus....no difference really except...no difference really.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My God Mozart would have wanted this!

hmmph... dont cancel my opera... Ill get mad and fuss over everything. This is an insult to artists. We are suppsoed to break the bounderies! We are suppsoed to go beyond the norm! THE VALUE OF SHOCK AND AWE!!! Its our job as artists to piss people off and express ourselves in ways we cant in real life!

A CRIME AGAINST AESTHETICISIM!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
We've lost something when we let fear rule the day, it is out of fear that the director cancelled this program.

Should we let fear make us censor ourselves? The Berlin mayor was right about this cancellation being a mistake. we should stand our ground for what is right. Freedom of expression is at stake here.

[edit on 26-9-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think when fear dictates our daily actions its called ..

hmmm...

TERRORISIM

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
no its called cowardness.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Whatever you want to call it, it is spreading like a cancer across the whole world so apparently terrorism works.

The sad thing is people dont want to offend anyone so the true nature of terrorism is hidden behind the veil of political correctness.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
Whatever you want to call it, it is spreading like a cancer across the whole world so apparently terrorism works.

It seems to have worked in America...terror alerts, Patriot Act, international and domestic spying programs, extraordinary rendition program, two wars. Wow, they sure did scare some people in the US.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
You're right sentinal. I'm sure there are many many people who were hesitant at calling Timothy McVeigh a Terrorist before he bombed that building on Oklahoma(cuz you know, he was white and christian, and everyone knows that even the radical Christians don't bomb buildings right?
).

Interestingly enough, these are probably the same people that can't wait to label all Muslims as Terrorists and the like and to try to spread lies about how Islam is a religion of Violence and Persecution when in reality the amount of Violent and Intolerant passages in the Quran is far fewer then the amount of times those types of passages appear in the Bible. Don't believe me? Here are two links for you to mull over.

337 Passages dealing with Cruelty and Violence in the Quran

855 Passages dealing with Cruelty and Violence in the Bible

And why the hell not, lets include the Mormons as well.

140 Passages dealing with Cruelty and Violence in the Book of Mormon

So actually, verse for verse, the Book of Mormon is the most "peacefull" religion, scripturally that is. Practically I'm not educated enough to know.

It's all in the interpretation. I just think there is a regional sophistication gap. Religious people who grow up in a civilized country generally turn out to be civilized people. Religious people who grow up in a savage-war torn hell hole have a higher chance of being recruited by extremist/criminal sects.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You're right sentinal. I'm sure there are many many people who were hesitant at calling Timothy McVeigh a Terrorist before he bombed that building on Oklahoma(cuz you know, he was white and christian, and everyone knows that even the radical Christians don't bomb buildings right?
).

Interestingly enough, these are probably the same people that can't wait to label all Muslims as Terrorists and the like and to try to spread lies about how Islam is a religion of Violence and Persecution when in reality the amount of Violent and Intolerant passages in the Quran is far fewer then the amount of times those types of passages appear in the Bible. Don't believe me? Here are two links for you to mull over.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by sardion2000]

I cant believe that you would try to weight the level of violence between Christianity and Islam, does it qualify or disqualify either? the point IS that terrorism seems to be working when articles like this are popping up.

Lets all stay indoors and dont go out lest we offend someone and cause a riot because they cant share the world with an unbeliever.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal

The sad thing is people dont want to offend anyone so the true nature of terrorism is hidden behind the veil of political correctness.

No terrorism is an act....when you allow it to determine your actions out of fear its called cowardiness.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Do you remember Flemming Rose from this post (13.03.2006)?

Hellmutt

Here is a claim from a former colonel of the FSB (KGB) who now is a political refugee in England: Flemming Rose (the editor of the culture department of Jyllands-Posten) is an agent of the Russian FSB and FSB played a major part in this cartoon-story. Flemming Rose is according to this claim married to the daughter of the general of the FSB!

Here's from Reuters today. Flemming Rose's statement regarding the opera cancellation.

Fear of offending Islam spurs hot debate in Europe (Reuters)

Sep 27

"Here we go again. It's like deja vu...This is exactly the kind of self-censorship I and my newspaper have been warning against," said Flemming Rose, culture editor of Denmark's Jyllands-Posten paper, which met a storm of Muslim protest after publishing satirical cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad last year.

He said bowing to fears of a violent Muslim reaction would only worsen the problem: "You play into the hands of the radicals. You are telling them: your tactics are working. This is a victory for the radicals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I read an interview with him in a danish newspaper yesterday (I haven't found this on the web yet). He claimed that danish media (TV2) "misquoted" him on one occasion during the cartoon war. He also confessed to saying something to the CNN which wasn't true (I'm not sure what it was, but he claim it was a joke). He said that these quotes/misquotes contributed to an escallation of the cartoon war. Hmmm...

Related ATS Thread:
Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Latest news says that Germany's Chancellor Merkel along with German Muslim leaders disagree and they want the show to go on.

Muslims agree it was wrong to silence Mozart opera

Kudos to Merkel; at least she has want it takes to stand up against religious blackmail by fanatics

new topics

top topics

join