It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRA & Irish Republicanism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
FREE FREE IRELAND!!!!

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

You probably have no clue what the whole conflict is about

Originally posted by Teknikal
No I cant provide links but I have my memory and I live here I know for a fact it happened the media had a bad habit of leaving stuff like that out although I'm sure it could be found in Belfast Telegraph archives. I have nothing against catholics in general I get on with a lot of them fine but I have little tolerance about IRA supporters.

I'll have to do a search for it sometime. Do the IRA (in all its dominations)/UDA & other loyalists still patrol certain districts of Northern Ireland?

Let them continue their struggle as long as there people born here they want things as they are, even a lot of catholics I talk to and get on with fine admit they wouldnt want a United Ireland it would be a bad move for the country as a whole. Power sharing is probably the best solution but dreams of a United Ireland will never happen.

It seems power sharing is the only way to have a peaceful Northern Ireland, since you can't appease all the different sides since they'll never agree, not until the older leadership a là Ian Paisley leave the scene.

The IRA of today are drug dealers and crimelords same with the loyalist side to though niether are going to give that up to start again theres to much money in it.

That's why i think they may be a resurgent campaign later on. The troubles had seen some lulls where the groups would re-arm, re-equip and start again. Although i know the low level violence has never stopped. The CIRA & RIRA are still committed to the armed struggle/campaign, CIRA has a political arm but it seems more content fighting. While RIRA does not have a political arm at all and has vowed that only a total and complete withdrawl by British forces is enough for them. The recent attack in Newry suggests they won't be giving up their fight anytime soon.

The only danger is that the IRA groups will recruit more members, especially if they are disillusioned with the political establishment there. Also the groups may seek to strengthen their cause by solidifying relations with other groups around the world, providing access to new caches and supplies of arms.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just for the record thought I should add that the UDA, UVF, UFF etc etc are also murdering low life scum and also shouldn't be given the respect, rights or priveledges of army status either.

Both sides attracted psychopaths, thugs and crims and gave them a false veneer of political justification for their crimes.

The proddy side have always been better armed and trained (due to their involvement with UDR, British army etc) and have, unfortunately, a greater capacity for violence & mayhem than any or all of the republican groups.

I personally know of an instance where 600 rounds of 7.62 ball were unofficially issued by by the Army to the TA in NI - any guesses where they ended up?

Both sides would do well to remember the 16th and 36th Divs in WW1 who fought side by side in a just cause.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well they started again even though the Deputy First Minister Peter Robinson asked the CIRA (Continuing IRA) to stop the attacks they have not listened. The parties in Northern Ireland have united over this issue. The sad thing is people behind the attacks are mostly teenagers who have no idea about the Troubles that took place years ago. I just hope they stop ASAP it's pretty bad to hear about bomb threats near the place you live every day.

<< 1   >>

join