It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

light speed and space exploration

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yes, I am sorry I was not clear, 1/10th the speed of light is around 1000000 kilometres per hour, at that speed, we would hit the nearest star around 140 years, the Oort cloud is approximately one light year away from us, and marks the end of our solar system.
The problem I have with these numbers is that we calculate distances in other terms namely, astronomical units, so I have to calculate them back to normal terms, and since it is late there can be errors it is a lot of 0’s if you know what I mean.

Actually I believe that as much as 99,9% is dark matter, also I never said space was empty, it is just to large to traverse with conventional means, the theory I provided is the best hope we have of travelling through the stars, at least that is my theory.

I believe at current time there are around 1000000+ intelligent races in the universe and multiply that number with another 1000000 and you get all different life forms in the universe.

The problem is the size, and time

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Tetragrammaton]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
When I refer to thousands of years... not entering a debate here..wrong forum!

But it would seem from articles I have read, that the "native" populations contains genes from a variety of sources... that we know of over vast periods of time... Norse, Columbus... Hundreds of years apart, African Statues in SA... Indians being Asian...

America was settled or "found" many times by many people and that's not including dubous reports of Egyptians or Semetic People...accounts by the Chinese... other strangeness, it did take waves... even not counting European people, we know some of the Natives came by sea.. some came by land bridge.

My only point in that is... it took thousands of years... there was undoubtedly many false starts... the same will go for Mars... but it should be done...

first 20 guys that set out from Indonesia on Canoes... LOL they drowned... but someone eventually got the Canoe right...or just got lucky!

With every step we take AWAY...we have a little more ability to go further... so what if the best Mars can ever support is 100,000 people... it's a good start...

Each colony...is an inch closer...each island in the Pacific was another stepping stone...

Start filling the solar system... theres no room here for all of us... some of us have to go... and it will be War... or Horrendously painful and deadly colonization attempts...

I vote for dangerous expeditions!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by vecarnex
When I refer to thousands of years... not entering a debate here..wrong forum!

But it would seem from articles I have read, that the "native" populations contains genes from a variety of sources... that we know of over vast periods of time... Norse, Columbus... Hundreds of years apart, African Statues in SA... Indians being Asian...

America was settled or "found" many times by many people and that's not including dubous reports of Egyptians or Semetic People...accounts by the Chinese... other strangeness, it did take waves... even not counting European people, we know some of the Natives came by sea.. some came by land bridge.

My only point in that is... it took thousands of years... there was undoubtedly many false starts... the same will go for Mars... but it should be done...

first 20 guys that set out from Indonesia on Canoes... LOL they drowned... but someone eventually got the Canoe right...or just got lucky!

With every step we take AWAY...we have a little more ability to go further... so what if the best Mars can ever support is 100,000 people... it's a good start...

Each colony...is an inch closer...each island in the Pacific was another stepping stone...

Start filling the solar system... theres no room here for all of us... some of us have to go... and it will be War... or Horrendously painful and deadly colonization attempts...

I vote for dangerous expeditions!

I concur, though i would like to see the birthplace of the universe, and that would take 10 billion light years to get there, i would like to get there faster.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Okay... well not fully sure on that figure...

But I say... we can take that, a pity... but it would make the ARK method plausible...

and yes lol... not a Paul Allen Project... that's a big ship...your right on inbreeding...

6 families would be needed at least...

But then again... isn't that exactly how we get all those humanoid races we discover on Star Trek Humans with stripes, Humans with Lumps LOL

But the ARK method... it can be done...

I do say... interesting your thought on reducing humans to data... and sending... not there yet though... and someone will have to go set up a reciever anyway...

Just honestly ... it's imperative we get people off Earth if we wish to survive and soon... we are like a bacteria in an ancient tide pool...we risk being dried out or blown away... some ballsy bacteria needs to make the leap...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
"I concur, though i would like to see the birthplace of the universe, and that would take 10 billion light years to get there, i would like to get there faster. "

Yes
Me too... but that's what I was driving at in endless ramble...

Not going to happen for me... in my life time...

Willing to settle... for it happening for some man in his life time...maybe a decendant of mine? Who knows...

But we have to send them...by any means neccessary... or no one will see the things we dream of seeing... even hibernation if we can pull it off...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
No your right I just looked up alpha centauri, it is 4.6 light years away that means it would take around 50 years to get there with 1/10th the speed of light, though alpha centauri is only the nearest star. There is no evidence that suggest it has habitable planets, on the contrary, it is a triple star system, and that means it is highly unlikely to have a planet suitable for terra forming.
The star system I talked about is the one most probable of having a suitable planet, and with 1/10th the speed of light it would take 140 years to get there.

However, yes the Ark method is another viable solution, though we would still have to find a way to counter the radiation, which we would die from within a week or so. It would literally eat our skin, not a nice thing to experience I could imagine.

I agree that in order to survive we would need to colonize space, be it with closed eco systems, Ark ships and terra forming.

You misunderstand on the receiver part; the receiver is all ready inside the electron we send to the place we wanted to go. That receiver electron would have all the information stored to build new atoms. Thus creating us from scratch, but you are correct in your statement we are still far from that, but not that far I would like to add.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've dabbled for sci fi writing purposes in looking up our near by systems...

There are around 20 stars in the 15 LY radius one maybe 2 that we know of that could have an earth like planet...

And yeah A Centauri... isn't one of them...

But again... it's not imposible... a very close small planet to the dwarf of the system.. in theory could.

The thing is though... I am not sure why we model our search for habitable worlds... around Stars...

Europa presents a possible habitable zone... around a gas giant, and not because the sun heats it one iota...

Both Jupiter and Saturn have more planets... moons..rocky worlds than the sun... 4x or more as many...

I think most of the habitable worlds will be found around Gas giants... that we are more of an exception to the rule then the rule

Failed stars dwarfs and giants... greatly out number suns... if my theory is correct... there are more jupiters floating free in space we cannot see than stars...

More stable than a star... gravity and radiation for heat a Jupiter floating in space.. in theory could last forever... it is after all not consuming itself at nearly the rate

Most of the systems we have discovered...have multiple gas giant planets... I think it's safe to assume..they posses rocky worlds in orbit...

Even the Earth... more than one person believes we may yet discover a brown dwarf or another Jupiter in far orbit... I don't take or discard the planet x theories... But no one has discounted them either...

I think it's very possible a habitable planet... could well be found on the way to alpha...

But IF there are an abundance of free floating failed stars... and it seems there may well be when we are discovering all these giant Jupiters and brown dwarf around over half of all stars... well that's allot of planet we aren't looking for...

Thing is... I have a theory... that the surface of a planet is nice to evolve life... all that radiation... long lasting life... my guess is most of it exisits Inside planets under ground...

stable climate, low rad, no weather...meteors comets less likely to kill your civilization...

Many Planets become habitable if you look under ground... Mars... Mars would be fine with a little tech to extract air you go in 100 feet...great way to trap the air your flora and fauna produce...and thats where th water is...

Europa...would be an ocean world as is where it is now... or if jupiter was nowhere near a star

Bigger rocky worlds like ours... produce plenty of internal that and light...

So I think Earth Like Planets like Lightspeed is another Holy Grail one we should strive for..but not depend on... it's the Mars and Europas we want... at least at first...

I know Light Speed...is not tomorrow... but genetic engineering is today... Why is Mars not an option... we can make men with gills if wanted too... we can definitely make men that need less oxygen and can tolerate the cold...

we are for religous reasons not apt to do these things... but why not?

It just seems that far more realistic than altering Physics... altering ourselves is far more practical... going to Europa...requires a shot to turn your lungs into gills...we are not far at all from that...

A simple genetic mod... for living around a NON star bound gas giant or brown dwarf... inside the planet where it's warm if conditions are right... simple bio luminesence... all we need is light to see... we do that to animals already...

But back to the start... 2 systems in 15 ly offer hope... that we know of... add in gas giants... most of them have possibility...

You know I went through this my whole life... people who said there were "no planets" they are now in with the flat earth folk... I'm willing to bet the road between the stars is populated with failed stars we can't yet detect... Jupiters, that it's 1 LY to the next stop...not even 4... also willing to bet...Life is everywhere...

[edit on 27-9-2006 by vecarnex]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Here is a link that explains the present day principle used by scientists known as the 'Precautionary principle'. It states "Precautionary principle' - the assumption that experimentation should only proceed where there is a guarantee that the outcome will not be harmful."Precautionary principle' - the assumption that experimentation should only proceed where there is a guarantee that the outcome will not be harmful.

Follow the link to a list of human achievements that would NOT have come about if this principle was followed.

www.spiked-online.com...

Once we discover the enabling technology we (humankind) will master FTL travel.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join