It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The furthest distance we've ever seen earth from!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The article talks more about the image taken from the cassini probe.

Taken at a distance of 930 million miles (that's 10 AU!!!!!). I must admit, I thought the earth would have been much smaller or even not visible from this distance. What do you think?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well, we've gotten pictures from even farther. Voyager took one after it was past Pluto. It was really very, very tiny. You couldn't see it. They had to digitally enhance and zoom to find it.

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarium
Well, we've gotten pictures from even farther. Voyager took one after it was past Pluto.

I believe you are talking about the famous "pale blue dot" photograph that voyager took. Man, photographs such as these really put things in perspective. Good find Prote!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I've not seen the one from Pluto. Can anyone confirm whether this is actually what the Earth would look like from this distance? I always thought the inner rocky planets would be virtually invisible from the gas planets. We are talking about 930 million miles, thats ten times the distance from the Earth to the Sun! and we still see Earth as a sphere???

Scales are always fascinating.

apc

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
We reflect a lot of light this close to our sun. That's why Venus is so brilliant when visible. If Neptune and Uranus were a little closer to the sun, they would be just as easily spotted with the naked eye as Jupiter And Saturn.

>
great pic btw... I can't wait for the first picture of Sol from far outside the system.

[edit on 24-9-2006 by apc]

join