It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class Discrimination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I was reading another thread and it got me to thinking....

Class discrimination. Is it still around as much as it was earlier in the century, or have people generally learned to get along regardless of class and wealth?
I think we can all agree that there is still discrimination to a certain degree, but does it affect everyone or is it more of a race thing? Everyone has heard all about the Katrina catastrophe and how a lot of deaths could have been prevented, but how about some personal stories? I think it'd be a good topic of discussion. I'm well aware that there is already a thread about something similar, but I'm more interested in hearing about peoples personal experiences.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I live in a very segregated area - the upper classes are very rude until they are finished testing the waters with newcomers. It was very difficult my first three years here, seeing as how I no longer have my parents social standing to get me by.

Once they realized I came from a good home and family, behaved appropriately in a variety of social situations, they pretty much let me be.

Within the younger sets, ther eis still a great amount of stereotyping and common prejudices - but for the most part, the older community is just protecting it's interests.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Could you be specific enough for us to understand better your circumstances and still protect your privacy?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Discrimination is a strange thing the way it works because it rears its head even when everyone is the same race.
I live in small town Northern Wisconsin where pretty much everyone is white with only a few minorities mixed in to the area. The funny thing is the only thing people can discriminate about is class and they do and are quite good at it. We have all of the same issues that people in bigger towns have just on a smaller scale, there is always that side of town where most of the crime originates in one way or another. These people blame their issues on class discrimination the same as the low income people in big cities blame it on various discrimination issues. Real or preceived the issue is real enough for the people that are victim to it and the offenders may not understand that they are a factor.
I feel that it is nothing more than needing to feel superior to someone in some way and that is kind of the most basic of animal instencts for survival. Striving to lead the pack or at least not be on the bottom of the food chain.

top topics

join