It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian made PT boat (new)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Orangetom and jlc163
I beg you not to group all Europeans with mediterranean ship "building". It's quite horrible how their quality control works in all areas of manufacturing

Out here in Scandinavia we build with stricter quality requirements that those used in USA, the shipyards themselves enforce these issues, since quality is our only advantage (we can never compete with just price). Out here every "critical" weld is checked with either ultrasound or x-ray.

As for the Iranian "PT Boat", only use for that kind of a design would be a mine layer... any ideas if it's capable for the task?

Ps. My credentials: Welder with experience in all major processes (from gas t0 MIG/MAG to laser to electronbeam), Fully trained welding quality controller, Mechanical Engineering student in a univercity that designs welding for the ITER

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
My apologies for lumping all of European shipbuilding into the same lot in shipbuilding. Thank you for correcting me.

I have worked on a European built containership...for the Maersk shipping line. This was a huge ship...It also had the biggest diesel engines I have ever seen...two of them and hence..also the biggest engine room too. It was a great physical labor to get up on this ship ..and then down into the engine rooms..then work all night and then climb back off to go home hauling ones tools the whole way. As I recall..my main complaint with this ship...other than the physical exertion involved..was that everything was in metric...not SAE as we were accustomed.

What I was told by the engineers about the tankers built here for the Greeks was that the specifications were carefully measured against profit potential/operating expenses over the life of the ship. I was a bit startled by this narrative from the engineer. So much paint ..so much thickness of weld..against maintnence costs..etc etc etc. In otherwords they cut the construction costs right down to the wire against profits over the usable life of the ship.
We built these ships to heavily...after years of working ships for the US Navy. They wound up being bought at a discount by a oil company named Mobile as I recall.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466
Futhermore, while I have a hard time believing a rocketpowered AShM is capable of 100km flight (the Exocet on which the C-802 is based is only a 40km weapon) without a HUGE loft, even an octet of subsonic missiles is not enough to make a significant difference in penetrating or killing a modern capital group.
The C-802 is turbojet powered.

<< 1   >>

join