It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Question of Gravity!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Ok guys,
There had been a tremendous response to an earlier thread of mine titled “A Question of Gravity”.
www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Here
That one sure tickled many a brain! So here’s another one for the road…

You must have heard about ‘Orbital Towers’. In a nutshell, an orbital tower is a long structure or cable attached to a satellite in geo synchronous orbit with one end tethered to the surface of the Earth and the other end of equal length extending outward into space from the satellite, for equilibrium.
(So far this is SF, but scientists are working on this).

Now the question is:

What gravity would you experience if you were:

1. At the Earth end if the tower.
2. In the middle.
3. At the far end of the tower (extending into space beyond the satellite).

P.S. Remember that you're weightless in space! (Unless you've induced artficial gravity).

[edit on 20-9-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I take it you mean satellite as in small man made object and not as in the moon. If so.... You would experience the same gravity in those positions whether the satellite and cable were there or not. They generate such a small amount of gravity compared to Earth that there effects would be negligable.

So then....
Q1 .... Normal earth surface gravity.
Q2 .... Dunno exactly but about half earth surface gravity I guess.
Q3 .... None at the satellite. if you are in g/s orbit your orbital speed counteracts the gravitational pull of the earth. Beyond the satellite, if the tower/ tether continued into space, you would need to cling on tightly or else be flung off into space.

new topics

join