It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Help Quick!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Guys! As I had mentioned earlier, my Windows XP is a pain - still is!!
After booting, the desktop comes up in all its glory and then...nothing!! It hangs like a darn petrified monkey. Can't open any aplications. Can't open nothin'.

I switch off the computer and on again. Same story. All the icons on the desktop are displayed but nothing functions. Sometimes the 'hour glass' appears and then...stasis. Hangs. And nothing works.

So WTF is happening??

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I could name almost a hundred different things to what it could be right now, but lets start with this.

Virus & Spyware Help

If you read through this thread you will gain alot of information surrounding virus and spyware. The prevention and removal steps are listed clearly for many issues.

Also, what I would like you to do is this:

Click on your Start Menu

Go to Run

Type in msconfig

Click on Services

In the box that says Hide All Microsoft Services -- Check That

Now click Disable All

Go to Start Up

Now Click Disable All

After this you will need to click OK and then Restart Now

---

What this has done is prevented all non-essential Services from starting up with the Computer, and all programs from starting up in the background. These start up items could be hanging up your computer and preventing usage.

If this is succesful, let me know and I will let you know where to go from here.

If not, let me know as well and I can offer further instructions.

For your own help though, read through the link provided above as it will inform you on alot of different areas surrounding Virus & Spyware.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Chissler,
Thanx. I'll try out what you said as soon as I reach home. And give you a feedback at the earliest.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Be sure to post when capable.

If I am not online at the time, please contact me via u2u and I will see what I can do for you fromt here.

Do not forget to read through that thread, there is alot of information in it.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yep - first thing is to check for viruses.
Next stop would be to restore system. That should get you functioning well enough to tinker with it anyway.
Then take an inventory of all the programs you've put in since the computer was working properly. (They won't be on there after you restore the syster).

You may need to clean your registery... but if your not reall farmiliar with this, don't play around in there!

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thanx Chissler and Angel!
I've finally got the system going! Cheers!

Yeah, I've got the registry cleaned too and now it's running smooth like a knife through molten butter!
Mike.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Great news!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Thanx Chissler and Angel!
I've finally got the system going! Cheers!

Yeah, I've got the registry cleaned too and now it's running smooth like a knife through molten butter!
Mike.

COOL!

I wanted to check back in to make sure all was wel, but I was out for a few days again.

top topics

join