It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a terrorist hijack a plane now? I don't think so

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

This is an increasing issue that you seem to see more frequently. No, not people acting strangley on planes, but the fact that if they do, people do not wait to jump up and literally beat them. I have no problem with this. Also, It is my understanding that every flight is supposed to have Air marshalls for such incidents(especially cross-continent), but it is refreshing to see people taking things into their own hands. Seems like this camo waering ninja nutball was 3 short of a 6-pack.

A man wearing military fatigues and throwing punches into the air tried to open the exit door of a jet during a cross-country flight on Tuesday night, airline officials and passengers said.

What, if anything, would you do if you were on a plane and you believed it was to be hijacked. Would you, or could you, attempt to stop it? Remember, if 9/11 happens again, every hijacked flight will wind up like 93.

"This man came out of the bathroom, he was dressed in like an army suit. Full army gear," said passenger Naomi Rodriguez.

This is the part that I am most interested in. Did he bring something in the bathroom with him, and change? With all of the lastest plane diversions and found articles and such, it is almost like a diversion. Read the Art of War and it tells you to attempt to win by deception, and showing a hand that will not be used.

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
After the events of September 11, 2001, I made my mind up, if ever in that situation on an airplane, or anywhere else for that matter, I'll fight till the end.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Do you want an honest opinion? Sure they could. It would take more than one person, and would be a lot more difficult now than it was a decade ago, but it can be done.

A lot of this has to do with the almost purely reactive measures of our security scans: Someone tries to smuggle a bomb in in a shoe, therefore everyone has to take off their shoes. Someone tries to create a binary liquid weapon, therefore we can't bring in any more liquids. We're not thinking, seriously, about how someone might try and take over a plane, only how they have in the past. While I'm sure that there are proactive steps being taken behind the scenes, at the level where people get on the planes, there's a woeful lack of preparation.

Heck, step one would be to take your lightest-skinned jihadists, shave them, then put them in khakis and a blue button shirt, just like the hundreds of other business travelers flying daily.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think that the guy in this link has it right!
*CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE* But is VERY Funny

thekidfrombrooklyn.com...

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The question was the hijacking of a plane for use as a missle as on 9/11. There is nothing to stop someone however bringing something on board to kill the passengers, this is true. I think it would be alot harder however to do anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'll tell you the truth - if I was on a plane and sincerely believed someone was a real danger to the flight, I would beat the stuffing out of them and worry about possible consequences later.

Which is precisely what these passengers did, and good for them.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
That really made me wonder shortly after 9/11 why did'nt the people try to stop it? The terrorists were'nt armed with any conventional weapons, ya know. I rather take a box cutter to the gut rather then die along with 2 thousand thinking my last taught "I could'nt do anything". Id take action, i grew up in a hood and not 4,5,6,7 whatever number of guys don't scare me. I act upon instict and previous knowledge and of course reason. And a few guys would'nt have taken over my plane.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Think of it this way. In the service. you are trained to shoot, but no matter how many rounds you may fire in qualification or excercise, there is always the first time you shoot at someone or take fire. You can guarantee the next time it happens, complacency is not an issue.

On 9/11, the flights were light on passengers for one, and it was fast and effective. Hijackings used to be land the plane and demand something also. There is no precendent for putting it into a building.

Now that this precedent has occured, people are more vigilant.

join