It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Death of a President" Fictional Documentary of "Bush" Assassination!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
That's the kind of talk that gets a knock on your door (if you're in the US, of course).

This guy, while being more detailed dramatic, got a lot more than a knock...

www.suntimes.com...

A Purdue University graduate student was arrested and charged with threatening to kill President George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Vikram Buddhi allegedly posted the detailed and threatening messages on an online message board.

So it might be advisable to restrain one's opinions about killing the President to the fictional movie topic.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
A bullet through the ... ermmmmm!!! BRAIN????????

Funny guy!!! However as mentioned above best not to dwell on the topic. We all need to keep in mind that there is a fine line when it comes to threatening others, especially the president during a time like this.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hey don,t worry guys.

If it ever came to court i could get off on the purely hypothetical fact that this guy has a brain at all..

I,d insist on tests and scans to check the results

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Actualy, I can shed some small amount of light on this 'subject.' As an author or political fiction, I have portrayed the death of government officials in my work. Before I did so, I had to get schooled on a few things.

First and foremost, you've got libel issues to be aware of. These apply even for movie makers. First and foremost is the "like" rule. Public figures can be written about, or portrayed in film, but the resemblence should never be precise. Fore the most part, you can reference them by name, and put words in their moths, but you should never go out of your way to present your work as fact and you should always go out of your way to create characters that are "like" the people you want to use in your work.

Secondly, you got slander issues to be concerned with. This goes back to putting words in people's mouths. To avoid the pain of the yawyer's visit, don't make your publicly referenced characters say or do anything that is humiliating, d3egrading, known to be morally wrong, or known to be out of the realm of possibility. The ideal example is that people who are known to be diabetic will not gobble down loads refined sugar.

The third and final factor is "intention." If you start off with the clear and deliberate intention of telling a fictional story, you can get dangerously close to the truth. For the most part, it is best to develop made up characters who are "like" people known to exist in the real world. This is what I did in my work. Those of you politically savvy people can no doubt pick out who is...like...people in the real world that you might recognize in my work.

As much as you may like or dislike this guy's film, the fact ofthe matter is that he has to fight the same law suits that anyone else might be exposed to. If you don't like his work, you can fight him with well-thought reviews that convince others to NOT see his work.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
Some films are better left on the shelf this may be one of them, a fictional documentary of the assassination of president Bush. The 93 minute film has Americans outraged and to make matters worse, in the film, after president bush is killed Dick Cheney becomes president.

www.foxnews.com
I'm guessing there are a couple of things Americans, no matter what their party affiliation or political ideology, really don't want to see in a movie. One would be the assassination of a sitting American president, and the other would be a black man getting pinned for his murder just to make a point about anti-Arab sentiment since Sept. 11.

But that hasn’t stopped British filmmaker Gabriel Range and his team from Film Four in Great Britain. Their film, “Death of a President,” which will air on television tomorrow night in the UK, was such a hot ticket last night in Toronto that publicists at the Paramount theater had to make a human chain to block out gate crashers. Weeks of hype had caused a frenzy, and there was talk of scalped tickets. But as one potential distributor said to me as we went in, “What if it’s bad?” Whoops! We never thought of that, did we? Film Four makes very good documentaries in Britain, so the assumption was that there would be merit to this controversial film. Maybe it’s me, folks. Maybe I’m not hip enough for “Death of a President.” I know there’s a point to this thing. As the writer and director said during the Q&A after the screening, they wanted to show our “rush to judgment” and how Arabs have been treated in the U.S. since the World Trade Center disaster. But this really sounds to me like stuff people who don’t live in New York and didn’t actually experience Sept. 11 might say from a safe distance. In “Death of a President,” George W. Bush is murdered after making a speech in Chicago on Oct. 19, 2007. Outside the Sheraton Hotel there are massive, violent demonstrations that recall the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago more than anything of recent times.

The president’s motorcade is stopped by unruly protesters; the police don riot gear and use tear gas. It’s a bad scene, as the faux Secret Service agent who was protecting Bush recalls during the mockumentary part of the film.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Did anyone stop to think that maybe this would inspire some crazy copycat killer to carry out this plot? I mean we have no shortage of people who dislike president Bush so the logical question would be, what if someone liked what they witnessed on screen to the point of accomplishing it for real, would they?

[edit on 12-9-2006 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 12-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

it could be argued that constantly airing violence on e.g. TV and in video games has the same result in creating copy cat perpetrators.
Now what would have a greater impact , TV or a movie that a few thousand people are going to see .
interesting link : does TV kill ?
Scandalous, work of fiction depicts the assassination of the current US president. Meanwhile tens of thousands die of starvation , war and disease.Well yes you have to prioritize of course.
Do you really believe extremists and nutcases need a work of fiction to think about assassinating anyone.
Has anyone seen "In the line of fire" clint eastwood is a secret service agent trying to prevent the assassination of the president . Never heard anyone complain about that movie or any other similar one , after all , even if the fictional president is , yes but a fictional one, the caracter is still the president.

Gabba gabba hey !

People need to put aside their gut feeling and think rationally

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
You will find that most people feel much more comfortable about "allowing" bad things to happen to fictional people. they don't feel very comfortable with the idea of bad things happening to known persons even if the action is purely fictional.

You'd be surpised at how much flak I get for what I write. All of my characters are clearly fictional, but the mere fact thatI present the ideas that I do...makes some people...squeamish. You will never make everyone happy on this score.

Any idea can kill. Too many ideas can be midified im somple ways to take life. Televisioh itself coes not kill, but the people who watch it can become wrongly insired to take life. that's also true for literature. Am I responsible for what somebody else does after they read my work? Some of you will say that I am, and others will say "no."

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by AGENT_T
A bullet through the ... ermmmmm!!! BRAIN????????

Funny guy!!! However as mentioned above best not to dwell on the topic. We all need to keep in mind that there is a fine line when it comes to threatening others, especially the president during a time like this.

Especially at a time like is being scripted...

The Burning Bush uses the word crusade in the runup to the war against Iraq and now the Poop hiding in the Bush, put there by god or dog recites some ancient Biblical scripture meant to inflame..., no other reason.

Careful what you say, think, feel...right?

duh grow up...become Secret Service...put on some shades so people can't see your twitchy eyes.....

namaste

Raphael

[edit on 18-9-2006 by Kachina]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kachina
Careful what you say, think, feel...right?

You always have to be careful of what you say, it's a reflection upon you and in some cases it can get you in trouble, however I don't particularly care for how you feel or think.

duh grow up...become Secret Service...put on some shades so people can't see your twitchy eyes.....

That would be a cool job actually but I prefer something with a more... hands on approach.

namaste

Raphael

Young Jeezy

Lil' John ???

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Once upon a time, I was mistaken for a Secret Service agent. That made for some interesting moments.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Okay, then. I guess that's a wrap. I've got one last observation. For those who do or do not like this movie, I suggest that you get ready for more of the same. Ever since "Primary Colors" hit the big screen back in the late 90's we have witnessed mroe and more films of one sort or another being used to make a point. The same has held true for fiction.

Movie and docu-dramas are no different than the same sort of fiction I wrote. These are vehicle to send a message. those who don't get the message can still take spme pleasure in the story. For those who get the message, there is a lot to talk about with friends and family.

In the same way that anyone else would criticize my work, I hope you'll take the time to choose your words as you critique this film. If you don't like it, say "why" you don't care for it. If you love love love it, say it. Then tell us why. To avoid becoming that which we are trying to fight, we need to remember to be good examples. If we don't, we will get nothing more than what we deserve.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Regarding the one man assasin discussion, don't forget RFK and MLK. Bobby was running for prez, and MLK was as influential as a president to many people.

I say, let them show it. Give away free tickets, I don't care. After all, we have schoolteachers that are applauded for burning the American flag in the classroom, and people defending the Phelp's "church". "Piss Christ" has been called great art.

So, show it. We have the 1st amendment. I'm not afraid of some British twit's money making scheme.

But I do wonder where are all the people who cried foul over "The Path to 9/11" are now. Why so quiet?

Edit typo

[edit on 20-9-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Ok.. It's been a bit but I finally got my hands on the DVD of this movie. It's not what everyone thinks it is. It's not a shot em down and kill bush and that's it. It's got more insight than that. It also shows the corruption of the judicial system in the states and also the power of the media and the effect it has on people. Most of the film is interview type shots interviewing people involved with the protection of the president (his secret service main guy, his speech writer etc) and also people involved with the investigation of the assasination. IT's quite an interesting ending and really opens your eyes. I really suggest searching ebay and getting this DVD. The film really makes you think and wonders if what we keep doing is right.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join