It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Paid 10 Journalists for Anti-Castro Reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
10 Journalists, including three who worked for the spanish language sister paper of the Miami Herald received large sums of money from the Federal Government in exchange for anti-Castro reports and radio broadcasts over Voice of America and Radio Marti. The three reporters for El Nuevo Herald, the spanish language version of the Miami Herald were fired. The journalists received up to $175,000 from the U.S. government for their commentaries against Fidel Castro over Radio and TV Marti.

www.nytimes.com
MIAMI, Sept. 8 — The Bush administration’s Office of Cuba Broadcasting paid 10 journalists here to provide commentary on Radio and TV Martí, which transmit to Cuba government broadcasts critical of Fidel Castro, a spokesman for the office said Friday

The group included three journalists at El Nuevo Herald, the Spanish-language sister newspaper of The Miami Herald, which fired them Thursday after learning of the relationship. Pablo Alfonso, who reports on Cuba for El Nuevo Herald, received the largest payment, almost $175,000 since 2001.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am no fan of Fidel Castro and think that what the folks at Radio and TV arti are doing is admirable but when news journalists accept large sums of money to do the governments dirty work, then I have a problem. If we can not depend on local news reporters and journalists to maintain an ethical and unbiased stance on their reporting then what's to guarantee that this problem does not extend to the national press.

Are national news journalists and commentators "in the pocket" of the Bush Administration and skewing their news reports and commentaries to their masters agenda? I wonder. After the recent fallout over Reuters and other news wires fabricating and editing photos and stories, I find myself wondering just how we can trust any news report or political commentary as reliable.

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
www.boston.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Reuters using a Photoshopped Photo of Israel Bombing?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Is it news that we can NOT trust the media? The media tells us we cannot trust Conspiracy Theorists, the most credible UFO witness is made to look insane, Scientists tell us we can't trust our senses, Quantum Scientists tell us we can't trust reality, Politicians tell us anything we want to hear ! Its MADNESS and We are left to make up our own story as we go along and this is exactly where "they" want us to be - questioning every facet of our experience, trusting nothing to the point where we will believe what the majority believes just so we can feel "sane"and less lonely in our turbulence and doubt before it turns into total despair.

join