It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal? It Really is OK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I am a Conservative. I do not hide that fact, cover it up or proclaim I am a Moderate or any other "New Age" talking point or Power Word.

Here on ATS I have found that this is not a popular stance, yet I can only be who and what I am.

What I have found is that mostly the advocates against my usual position are insistent on being called Moderate. This is confusing when going back over their postings, it is obvious to a blind man that they support the liberal agenda.

Now I am not saying ALL of you, I have actually found some true, solid Moderates on here. It is the ones that are "foaming at the mouth" over every decision the current administration makes, the ones that blame the hurricanes on Bush and routinely cite such things as Illegal war, War Criminal and quote Michael Moore; all while protesting being called Liberal.

If your views and expressions are Liberal, it really is OK not to be ashamed of that. I do not agree with you, but I support your choice and wish that you would all come out and be proud of who and what you are. If you walk like a duck and quack like a duck, your a duck. It would sure alleviate a lot of confusion if you would just clear it up.

Semper

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Good point, Semper. Somehow the word "liberal" has become a dirty word and it is considered by some to equate to being immoral.
I like using the labels conservative, moderate or liberal, as opposed to political party affiliation, which is more divisive and not so accurate any more, both parties have changed drastically in the last 20 years or so. Just because a person may be a liberal doesnt mean that they will always vote Dem or a conservative will always vote Repub. I'm a lifelong liberal, but I would vote for Barry Goldwater (I like some of the old Repub party's platform) in a heartbeat or McCain if he ran against an idiot Dem such as IMO, Hillary.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
And you know what?

Though it may surprise many on here that have debated me in the past; I would support Lieberman in a heart beat!!!

I just think that as a people we need to understand that it is our differences that make us what and who we are; that make us special. If we ignore our differences long enough, or become intolerant enough of them, what will we have lost? What price will that be? I am not willing to pay that price!!!

I have proclaimed this the month of tolerance for Semperfortis and I plan on practicing what I preach. I am still going to debate my opinions of course, but I am going to "force" myself to read carefully and consider each side.

Semper

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I not convinced that there is such a thing as a Liberal and Im still working out just exactly what a Conservative is. I dont hide the fact that I have what would be considered to be very Liberal social viewers when it comes to the likes of gay marriage. As for the people that label Bush a war criminal some of them may be letting there emotions over ride logic it happens to the best of us at some point.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hi Semper,

I have had more than my fair share of debates with you.. and every one of them has been a pleasure. While not always on the same side of the coin; the mutual respect is consistently apparent.

As far as being liberal... Well, I dont know what the heck I am.. I see conservatively(traditional conservative; not neo-conservatism) on some issues like; small govt. But then I see some things on a more liberal approach like; gay marraige. And On a myraid of other issues I likewise fall on both sides of the coin.
I take each and every issue on its own and make my decisions accordingly... I cant stand either party at this point(going on 15 years now).

I really find myself more of a constitutionalist than anything else(especially given that I feel that both parties are aginst the constitution; as it restricts their power, IMO).

xpert11

original quote by: xpert11
As for the people that label Bush a war criminal some of them may be letting there emotions over ride logic it happens to the best of us at some point.

Ill raise my hand on this one...guilty as charged.... As much as I try to remain objective; I too become emotionally over zealous against "Bush"(which to me is just the face of the many in his cabal of felons)...ooops did it again..lmao.
Buyt seriously I do get alittle emotional sometimes about this stuff. I just cannot stand anyone or anything that tries to usurp our constitution... And you must admit with over 750 signing statements it does raise those questions. Especially with over 150 constitutional challenges..

I dont want to get into a debate about Bush on this thread as this is not the topic... I just though I would elaborate on xpert11's point. I also added one explanation as to why my emotion gets affected.

I dont personally know any "conservatives" or "liberals'... most of the people I know are like me in that they judge each and every topic by and on its own merit.. not according to what the parties dictate to the masses. Besides Who the hell really knows what defines these two catagories anymore.. they seem to be alot different then back in the eightees.

But regardless of which side you choose(if you choose a "side") then you should be proud of it... But one must beware when doing so as to not end up like a parrot. One cannot let thier individual opinions be overrun by said party.

But I have rambled on long enough...

thank you for your time,

TONE23

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
And you know what?

Though it may surprise many on here that have debated me in the past; I would support Lieberman in a heart beat!!!

I just think that as a people we need to understand that it is our differences that make us what and who we are; that make us special. If we ignore our differences long enough, or become intolerant enough of them, what will we have lost? What price will that be? I am not willing to pay that price!!!

I have proclaimed this the month of tolerance for Semperfortis and I plan on practicing what I preach. I am still going to debate my opinions of course, but I am going to "force" myself to read carefully and consider each side.

Semper

Semper, I think that is very admirable, and something we all should do. If we don't tolerate each otehr we run the risk of losing so much. And I think there has been a growing intolerance of differences in the last 20 years or so. I agree with the person who said that neither party supports the Constitution. And that is what I am most of all, a Constitutionist.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
You have voted TONE23 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

I think that one of the reasons America is struck with the two party system is that people vote for a political party blindly. It dosnt matter that the party abandoned its core values along time ago people continue to believe what there leaders and the media tell them.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Tone, I agree completely.

And yes the respect flows both ways.

xpert, Yes, I too think that MANY, perhaps the majority, just go in and pull the lever.

When I state that I am a conservative, I guess I have to qualify that some. I am a firm believer in "most" of the "old time" conservative values. Basically that the Government needs to just leave us alone as much as possible.

I too vote the person and my contention is that if they are not going to learn the political candidates, and make an informed decision, I would just as rather they stay home. I am not overly upset over the low voter turn out because of this.

Too many people fall victim to the diatribe and political pandering as it gets closer to election time and pay no attention at all to who or what they are voting for.

Semper

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i find this thread to be bizarro world(twilight zone lol) cause to me where i live it is popular to be liberal!!!! i am an outcast because i am a independant(w/conservative leaning morals lol

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Nixon was the first to use 'liberal' as a derogatory term. I think that sums it up.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I not convinced that there is such a thing as a Liberal and Im still working out just exactly what a Conservative is.

I second you on that one my friend I have not clue what a liberal agenda is or what a conservative agenda is also

I see our present suppose to be administration to be quite liberal when it comes to some issues.

Now as for people blaming Bush on all kind of things I don't know about you Semperfortis but that is called conspiracy theories and they make the most talk about topics of ATS.

Now that I agree with all of them . . . no I don't.

BTW I may fall into the category of Liberal because I oppose the present administration politics but to tell you the truth 2004 was the first time I ever voted Democrat since the 1980 when was the first time I voted for president and it happen to be Reagan.

So who is a liberal and who is a conservative? you tell me.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well, the way "Conspiracy Theorists" are precived worldwide now is as our own little subculture and subculture through out the world. But liberal Agenda refers more to a Congressman/woman or Senator using their power to vote for more taxes, birth control, less drug restrictions, etc.

Liberalism in of itself isn't bad, as long as it is within common sense, ethics, and moderation. But politically, the lines are so crisscrossed with politicans I vote for candidates not values or parties so much anymore. Unless, I know thier record.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
EXACTLY Smalllight!!!

It is a mind set.

Liberal / Conservative etc.

Some even got a little argumentative here when all I was saying is that it is ok....

Who you did vote for, who you used to vote for, who used the term first has nothing what so ever to do with this.

I have debated some of you and I know exactly which way you lean and that is perfectly ok. All I am saying is why keep hiding it?

Semper

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

You do?
No you don't.

I don't care to talk about who I vote for. It's personal, but I think both sides should respect each other reguardless of how the system is working in goverment. We need who can, have power, and are willing to slove the problems in society and goverment. Not create more, due to wealth, status, or family histories. Such as in American goverment.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The modern interperetation of what is "Liberal" or "Conservative" seems to hinge on differing beliefs as to what the role of government should be. I think this will change within the next twenty years, when the gen-xers begin to take control and will eventually decide that the role of government actually DOESN'T need to be re-invented. This will happen when Americans of both political parties finally recognize America as a great and noble country, and this self-realization will change all aspects of politics, from affirmative action to taxes to immigration.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Flatwoods]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ok, I agree it's okay to conservative, liberal or moderate I've never had a problem with people being who they are.

Now can someone help me figure out where I stand
? When I take course at the college I'm called conservative; when I go to work they call me liberal. The reality is I'm neither; I will vote for the person I think will do the best job. I see no purpose to being either a Bush-hater or a Bush-bot.

By the way Semper, I never could have figured out you are conservative

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
OH!!! GH

Your sooooo NOT funny...

I think the "label" is necessary/unnecessary depending on the individual. I have actually been called a liberal by one of the Guys that works for me, in reference to the Immigration issue.

He wanted them all rounded up and deported and when I tried to explain the purely impossible logistics, he LOUDLY proclaimed me a liberal.

I'm Liberal like Rush is Liberal...HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yet I am a realist and those that are so far to one side or the other, often lose their objectivity and their credibility in my eyes. Compared to a Limbaugh, or Hannity, I am actually Moderate, but in my eyes, I hold pure conservative ideals.

Semper

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Semper, somebody called you a liberal? Don't know you very well do they. I'm still giggling over that one.
Labels can be useful as long as they aren't the defining factor; I just don't like them. I think I would prefer to call myself a realist. No candidate will be perfect; no party line will be perfect. All of us must read, educate ourselves and when we have sufficent information from all sides of an issue make our decisions as our consience allows.

As far as me not being funny

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
hey, Galloping Hordes...

What did Mom tell you about sticking out your tounge like that? Shame, girl

Whether one is "concervative" or "liberal" or "whatever floats your boat", we need to educate ourselves on the issues...hating someone because of some arbitrary label is too stupid to be tolerated, and might even end up being discussed on one of the on going racism threads (shameless plug).

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hey Seagull Mom would have stuck her tongue out too. Remember she had a sense of humor too; where do you think you and I got our demented senses of humor
?

On a more serious note education is the key; research each candidate for ourselves and not make up our minds based on someone else's opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join