It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian aviation ambitions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
India does seem to be really pushing it's aviation ambitions, not only have they just become licenced to build mig 29 engines source but they are also reputedly licenced to build su-30 mk1's as well source

when this is added to their own projects such as the tejas how long will it be i wonder before they are pushing the western aircraft manufacturers in the technology stakes and have a fleet of their own aircraft that can compete equally with those of the west? they will certainly be able to beat the on a cost basis with cheaper employment costs ect.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They can hardly compete with them with 4th generation aircraft.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well It won't be in another couple of decades for sure.

they are trying to fly Tejas from las 20 years. I agree that there were blockades but I wonder how come so called tech hub can't build one engine to fly plane. Why don't /can't they build pessenger and military aircrafts. I think its because they don't have industry/infrastructure there.

They are planning unmanned mission to moon . I donno how much success that will get and what they can do after that? I really prefer them to work along with some other country and build their own engine first (unlike Kaveri engine which failed in ground testing). rest of things can be improved with time.

For India Cheaper doesn't seems to be faster

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
When you take into account of how India has gone from effectively a third world country to one of the fastest growing countries in asia, and the speed at which their IT sector has grown it can only be a matter of time before they start to do similar things within aviation surely? and by gaining the ability to build russian engines and airframes they will be able to examing these and fast track their own knowledge?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Nope. I don't think they can do it. It will take lotsssss of time before they can something like that. though they have one of fastest growing economy, politics and corruption is also grwoing at same pace.

they have plans for hypersonic planes and other aviation plans however you need ability to make engines. prototypes are different than real products. I am from India and I always used to wonder and still wonder why can't india build their own planes and cars. not few years ago there were just few home made cars, rest all with help of other countries. Now I see progress but it will takes years before they can fly high in aviation and it will be decades before they can be compared with west's aviation strength.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
No infrastructure and limited funding..
Plus IT has nothing to do with it except for the fact that money thus gained could be diverted there.
India has a comparatively weaker manufacturing industry and suffers from that.
Building commercial a/c again has been put off due to the investments that it would require, though a commercial business jet of sorts(SARAS) has been built with a seating capacity of ~20 I think. Currently a 50-90 seater passenger a/c is being built.

Financial surplus from the booming industries is concentrated on social projects etc etc. and obviously that's a given.

The moon mission is no technological biggie for India from the launch capability point of view. The vehicle to be used (PSLV) has been in use for over a decade now I think.Onboard electronics imaging systems aare also something that India is pretty well-versed in. However the lunar orbital insertion and telemetry data channel establishment at such distances are new.

Comparision to western aviation is rather optimistic though joint ventures with aviation firms from Russia and/or France would be a fillip for the industry and give India access to technology that it would need years to deelop on its own; i.e. stealth, scramjets, TVC etc. etc..

new topics

top topics

join