It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funding for the universe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Funding for the Universe.

This is an interesting question to ask., should we as humans fund the search for knowledge of the universe as a whole. I say yes. The pursuit of human knowledge, and the pursuit of knowledge of our own existence has been on mans mind for millions of years. I believe that to learn of ourselves we must first know where we came from , and perhaps where were going.

We are an a very remote planet in a universe that is size would boggle the imagination. I believe that if we know about the universe we can inevitably find out about our own selves. I think that more should be spent on not people in space, but more like the probes and the robots, and the scanners to detect thing. Why not set up a radio beacon to lure other world to us, why not send probes to mars and Venus. I think that if we learn about the other planets (as I said with the universe) we will ultimately find the answers w have been searching for on earth for all our lives.

Granted the space program, and most missions use a lot of capitol, but I believe if the focus was off of men in space and more towards the scientific pursuits that the budget would decrease, and this it would enable humanity to send more probes and gizmos into the far reaches of space. We are a civilization that in the big picture has and will be around only a minute decimal of the time compared to the universe. For posterity and to persevere our culture this space pursuit is the only clear and logical way to go. To live forever, as mans ultimate goal is, we must not look at the earth for our answers but to the heavens.

The only way to achieve this is to spend more money on the scientific pursuit of space and trime, and spent less of it trying to find out if ant live in space. The possibilities in space are abundant, and far more enriched that anything we could find o earth . I believe to further our existence and our minds we should look up and take a glance at the Universe as a whole. I think it is a valuable, if not needed undertaking to use some money for the sciences, but I do beleive that there could be ways to cheapen, or lessen the finaiacl burdon on the American taxpayers. But a Budget should be implicated so-that more space exploration and discovery can fruther our intelligence on the cosmos.

Keep in mind I wrote this in 1998, at The University of Northern Colorado. The class was "The Cosmos". dealt mainly with quantum theories, and curved space, etc.
I guess they listend to me.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by RubinLando]

[edit on 4-9-2006 by RubinLando]

EDITS: NEEDED SPELL CHECK

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That is a noble idea indeed. However, this finding must be done by private companies and the missions must be carried out by private comapnies. That way the competition would force them to use less money. The price tags on government-funded programs are way too high, in the billions. If we can bring this cost down to millions or thousands, it would make space exploration much more viable.

Thus we should let private companies do everything instead of the governments.

on a side note, I recently heard about "Project Arbiter" which is a space exploration project funded by private companies and donations that want to eventually launch an orbital shuttle with a capacity of 60 passengers into space using only $1 mil on the mission (excluding development costs and all that)

I don't remeber where i heard that, but they also say that the percentage each person donated for the program will be returned to them with interest from the profits of this thing getting off the ground.

join