It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News:No. 2 al-Qaida leader in Iraq arrested He then Names 20 more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just Breaking now via AP and Reuters. Coalition forces and Iraqi officials say they have captured the number two man in Iraq for al-qaida. Now that alone is good news, however it gets better yet. It would appear he is a good singer and has given up several other key members and several minor players in Iraq.

AP via Yahoo news

Iraqi and coalition forces have arrested the second most senior figure in al-Qaida in Iraq, Iraq's national security adviser announced on Sunday, saying the group now suffered from a "serious leadership crisis."

Hamed Jumaa Farid al-Saeedi, known as Abu Humam or Abu Rana, was captured north of Baghdad a few days ago "along with another group of his aides and followers," Mouwafak al-Rubaie said.

He was the second most important al-Qaida in Iraq leader after Abu Ayyub al-Masri, who took over the group after Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed by a U.S. air strike north of Baghdad on June 7, al-Rubaie said.

"We believe that al-Qaida in Iraq suffers from a serious leadership crisis. Our troops have dealt fatal and painful blows to this organization," the security adviser said.

[.....]

Al-Rubaie said al-Saeedi was arrested "along with another group of his aides and followers," and that after his arrest, he gave information that led to the capture or death of 11 other top al-Qaida in Iraq figures and nine lower-level members.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now the question is will this have a dramatic effect on the war? I say yes but only to a point. Hopefully the others he turned in will also turn into song birds

[edit on 9/3/2006 by shots]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Im being pedantic but I feel there is a slight error in the thread title, The terrorist group in question is called 'Al-Qaeda in Iraq'. When you say '2 al-Qaida leader in Iraq' it changes the meaning somewhat.

Of course, this small point could be put down to pure semantics, but it brings forth the bigger issue of who these people really are, and what their link is to the actual 'Al-Qaeda'. On this point, we see many of these splinter groups with their names, taking hostages and publicly taking responsability for terrorists attacks and kidnappings.

And the big problem in Iraq now is the division of Sunni and Shiites, like in Baghdad the people are relocating to be amongst their own, to feel safe. Thats not solely down to these terrorists groups, its down to lawlessness and that elements of both the Sunni and Shiite communities are taking up arms. Thus, I believe this will have no dramatic effect on whatever is happening in Iraq, you say war.

Thats another thing I think is skewed, people calling whats happening in Iraq, a war on terror, Im sure Iraqi's are really happy its happening in Iraq, I doubt many would say it is a war on terror though.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I say no - of course it won't. Appears to be more of a PR move to give a lift to the PR campaign Bush is running right now.

The situation in Iraq has become a civil war, and the arrest of a few of Al-Qaeda's leadership is going to do nothing to diminish that.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i agree, this sounds like election time palaver. it would be interesting if all of these leaders were actually caut early on in the first months of the war and are just being held aside for times when the administration needs a little boost...it seems every time moral gets low they reel in another top man in. maybe with the close of Abu Ghraib the government needs something to do with a few left over detainees?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You ever notice that the #2 leader of al-Qaida seems to be a revolving door position? Anyway, smells like a PR boost.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
PR boost yes, I'm sure the timing is not accidental.

On the other hand, AQ in Iraq seems have been on the way out for a while anyway.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to bring the Iraq insurgency to an end.
Al Quaeda seems to have been mostly a bit player in the insurgency anyway, albeit one whose spectacularly bloody attacks have been quite effective in driving up sectarian violence.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hey xmotex, weren't you the one who posted a thread about how come the new Al Qaida leader was not much talked about by the U.S. govt. and the Pentagon after Zarqawi's death?

Well it seems they did seem to care about hunting this guy down after all. What do you have to say for yourself?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There are some who believe he is dead, and all these confessions are a bunch of crap.

For fairness, I link to this thread for another angle:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, from my own viewing, this dude looks alive, just ugly, beat up, and inbred. However, i could be wrong, and well, stranger things have happened. Who knows.

new topics

top topics

join