It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan's opium production jumps by nearly 50 percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

AFP

Afghanistan's opium production will increase by nearly 50 percent this year to a record 6,100 tonnes after an "alarming" jump in cultivation in the lawless south, the UN drugs office announced.

The area of land planted with opium -- of which Afghanistan produces more than 90 percent of world supply -- rose 59 percent this year as compared to last year, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) said.

The sharp increase in the number of acres planted would lead to a likely harvest of 6,100 tonnes -- a 49 percent hike over the 4,100 tonnes produced the year before.

"This year's harvest will be around 6,100 tonnes of opium -- a staggering 92 percent of total world supply. It exceeds global consumption by 30 percent," UNODC global executive director Antonio Maria Costa said in Kabul.

WoW!

Great work in the democratization and liberation of this country!

I guess they are doing just Fine!

All Hail Hamid Karzai!

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
But what else can this people do to make ends met, its no much they can grow in that region and for the pictures I have seen of poppy plants they look like right in their best environment.

Beside who else is going to supply the European markets of opium and heroine this is as old to the world as hookers are to society.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Some might say that this was more of a reason to invade than the war on terror. The cia/MI6/Mossad were losing out on the drug trade while the Taliban was in power and had been looking for an excuse to get back in there and get those crops growing again. The timing of the attacks in America were perfect timing for the intelligence networks, as shown by the less than exact intelligence reports they supplied to the govts to justify certain targets.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
FYI, I have an article on ATSNN on this very important and revealing subject -

Afghanistan on Verge of Becoming Narco-State

It truly goes to show what the real motives of the PTB are in Afghanistan (besides the oil pipeline) that opium cultivation is at all time high while hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars are being spent to support the S&B heroin operation, I mean eradication efforts.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
i believe the increase is much more than 50%

The Western media in chorus blame the Taliban and the warlords. The Bush administration is said to be committed to curbing the Afghan drug trade: "The US is the main backer of a huge drive to rid Afghanistan of opium... "

Yet in a bitter irony, US military presence has served to restore rather than eradicate the drug trade.

What the reports fail to acknowledge is that the Taliban government was instrumental in implementing a successful drug eradication program, with the support and collaboration of the UN.

Implemented in 2000-2001, the Taliban's drug eradication program led to a 94 percent decline in opium cultivation. In 2001, according to UN figures, opium production had fallen to 185 tons. Immediately following the October 2001 US led invasion, production increased dramatically, regaining its historical levels.

Table 1

Opium Poppy Cultivation in Afghanistan

Year3800....................Cultivation in hectares..............Production (tons)

1994.................................71,470................................. 3,400

1995.................................53,759................................. 2,300

1996.................................56,824................................. 2,200

1997.................................58,416................................. 2,800

1998.................................63,674................................. 2,700

1999.................................90,983................................. 4,600

2000.................................82,172................................. 3,300

2001.................................7,606 ................................. 185

2002.................................74,000................................. 3400

2003.................................80,000................................. 3600

2004............................... 131,000 ................................. 4200

2006............................... 165,000** ...................... 6100**

Source: United Nations,
www.unodc.org...

[edit on 23-11-2006 by jaamaan]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaamaan
i believe the increase is much more than 50%

Well even Worse then.

But I guess THEY just have to keep the Drugs flowing.

I mean - we all know who are the LORDS of Drug Trafficking, don't we?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
I mean - we all know who are the LORDS of Drug Trafficking, don't we?

Gees this makes two threads in one day that you title one thing and immediately start to blame it on the US or British.

Have you noting better to do with your life then to attack others.:shk:

One can only assume you missed the news reports showing US and AFGAN forces trying to destroy some of the crops and that is a shame.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Gees this makes two threads in one day that you title one thing and immediately start to blame it on the US or British.

Sadly you always take my posts very personal;

As I have stated many times before, I have absolutely Nothing against People of United States or United Kingdom;

But it was proven many times before, that there are elements working within both goverments, which actually DO terrible things in the name of both Nations, just so they can suck up more to the Global Elite, which is actually running the show.

And Intelligence Agencies of both countries are no Saints or Angels at all.

I strongly suggest you read the book ...And The Truth Shall Set You Free and see for your own, how We ALL are manipulated on daily basis.

But I already know you won't do that...

One can only assume you missed the news reports showing US and AFGAN forces trying to destroy some of the crops and that is a shame.

Yep, that report has missed me.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Today is Thanksgiving Day. Soldjah is very Thankful for the USA because being able to disparage the greatest country on earth gives his life meaning. Without us, he'd be left with nothing except to pose for moody-looking photgraphs.

Seriously, Souljah, get a life. Talk about something else once in a while. Like the human trafficking explosion in Slovenia.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Seriously, Souljah, get a life. Talk about something else once in a while. Like the human trafficking explosion in Slovenia.

Oh my I am willing to be he missed that report too:

Good find for that you get a WATs

You have voted jsobecky for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I especially liked the part about drugs

Drug trafficking meanwhile remains the most wide-spread form of organised crime in the EU.
See link above

Apparently Afganistan grows them and Solvernia smuggles them, truly sad

No doubt they must use the Balkan Route

DUSAN KEBER, Minister of Health of Slovenia, said Slovenia lay on the
well-known Balkan heroin route. On that route, heroin traveled to northern Europe and synthetic drugs flowed in the opposite direction. Source

[edit on 11/23/2006 by shots]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It is pretty well known to those who want to that the Alied forces are protecting the opium fields in Afganistan

Do you realise how much heroin that is in these figures.
It represents an enormous amount of the world supply.
And you brush that away with a little argument like, oh look what they are doing to us.

The US and British and other wetern forces are responsible for a 3200% increse of the heroin production in Afganistan.
They contol the country (so they say) and are fully responsible for these figures acording to the UN.

new topics

top topics

join