It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

m40 and m24

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
world.guns.ru...
world.guns.ru...

why do the us army use the m24 while the us marine corps use the m40, when as far as i can see they are the same type of gun performing the same job and have more or less the same performance statistics. is there a good reason or is it just inter service rivalry and politics. i would also be intrested in which is better if anybody does actually know.

justin

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The M40 or M 24 designation is merely the designation..or label that the different services put on thier tools.

Remington as well as other manufactures have assembly lines which will build a custom tool to your specification. The Army specification my differ slightly fromt the specifications of the US Marines.

For example..I believe the Marines are not in favor of removable Magazines for their sniper type bolt action rifles. Just one more part to fail or get clogged up. I am not sure about this for the Army. To my knowlege the Marines believe in the KISS principle....religiously. THey have had lots of experience in this and if so.. I agree with them.

I have handled one Remington model 40X in my lifetime and immediately, when I picked it up, I knew I was handling a tool above the others in design and engineering.
I have for years now ..admired a well built bolt action rifle capable of very precision shooting. I am attempting to learn this type of precision reloading too. Very time consuming in preparations required.
I recall seeing a special on the boob tube about the Army competition rifle shooting teams. As I recall they were shooting the 300 Winchester Magnum round. I watched very closely the part of the program where they showed them reloading the ammunition for this shooting team. It was very intresting to me.

Do not be put off by the names or labels by which he various services identify their tools. The essence is ..what exactly does the tool do and who is the manufacturer/designer.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's the exact same thing as with the CH-46 and CH-47. They're identical, except one has four landing gear, one has three, and they use different engines. But one is Army the other is Marine. They carry the same payload, the same number of troops, etc. Just the mission and service requirements were slightly different for the two.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
one of those rifles looks just like my Remington 700. it's a .308, and its a great weapon

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I believe the rifles being discussed are based on the Remington 700 model actions just custom built to the military specifications of whatever branch of the military orders them.

THe other manufacturer which used to build rifles for the military was Winchester with their model 70 bolt actions.

Also today many newer companys are entering the market as this type of very accurate rifle is becoming popular in a host of calibers and to the public.

You have the right caliber in .308 in your model 70. Good choice and you can find ammunition anywhere from coast to coast. A very large cross section of bullet types are available in factory offerings in the .308 caliber.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It seems the question was answered well so I might as well just give my opinion.

The M24 seems to be an excelent rifle, adjustable stock, fairly light weight and not too long for urban operation, the magazine helps with reloading, the tubular magazine is just too slow IMO.

top topics

join