It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cape breton nova scotia launch pad / private space exploration company

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
it seems noone really heard about this but it's pretty cool..
recently it was announced that we here in cape breton will be the recipients of a launch pad and space center. www.cbc.ca...
check it out, it's pretty sweet

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Isn't that one of the rainiest parts of Canada? It's like sticking a spacepad here in Vancouver where it will only be useable for three hours per year

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
it is recently.. it's because of global warming.
they chose the spot because of it's position on the earth. something to do with it being cheaper to launch from here.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I heard about this a week or so ago.

something to do with it being cheaper to launch from here.

I think I remember them saying because it could launch things into
multiple orbits easier and quicker, and was one of the spots that
you could launch from to get to the ISS.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So is this a private company that's building this spaceport or NASA? I heard Virgin bought a chunk of the Mojave to launch their birds from.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProveIt
So is this a private company that's building this spaceport or NASA? I heard Virgin bought a chunk of the Mojave to launch their birds from.

Private company.

Here's the Space.com article.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
yeah, theyre a private company. the log/lat here is similar to the space pad in russia. it also has some kind of connection with the moon. they actually tried to get funding from NASA and were denied. if you ask me NASA as a company is a shadow of what it used to and could be. theyre probaly all about weapons and rocket research now. it's all 33rd freemasons and # there. they dont seem to be doing that much. and alot of their funding is back doored to different pockets and into weapon development. all mankind needs to band together and bring ourselves into the waiting arms of our universe.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A deal was signed with NASA in Feb 2007. Try this link to a PlanetSpace PDF News Realease.

The provincial government of Nova Scotia led by Conservative Premier Rodney McDonald worked up a deal with US Republican one time candidate for Lt. Governor of Illinois and Senate Dr. Chirnjeev Kathuria who runs PlanetSpace out of Chicago.

That deal is for 120 hectares courtesy of the Nova Scotia tax payer on Cape Breton Island (an Encarta map link).

According to a current CBC News story the beast they want to fly is orbital and is called the Silver Dart (after Alexander Graham Bell's plane's first Canadian flight in 1909.

Apparently Dr.Kathuria has narrowed the location to two potential sites according to a Cape Breton Post article. The local economy would benefit and a site selection process should be complete by the end of July 2007.

The Silver Dart Orbital Vehicle is apparently being designed a little like the US Air Force FDL-7 or the NASA X-24B. It's 45 feet long and can carry 8 occupants. A PlanetSpace graphic link.

The design and engine manufacture are from Geof Sheerin's Canadian Arrow concern out of London Ontario - I believe but can not confirm that the orbital vehicle airframe will be built in Ohio.

NASA supports the effort but is in no way obligated to use the Silver Dart. I wonder what you could launch instead of the Silver Dart using the NOVA booster cluster?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 2-6-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski

NASA supports the effort but is in no way obligated to use the Silver Dart. I wonder what you could launch instead of the Silver Dart using the NOVA booster cluster

Sure NASA is all for the 'commercialization-of-space' program...

but this sounds to me like a pipe-dream !
if you think it thru, the instigators of this dream will get full use of
that 100+ acres of secluded island territory,
& of course the 1st buildings will be for the staff & 'founders'
with the contractors in work-camp facilities....

so for the +10 year project (with guaranteed funding problems/shortfalls)
the sequestered, idyllic living space will belong/ be controlled by the
supposed 'visionaries' of the space-exploration ~scam~!
enjoying their private island living, probably with a tax-payer funded
seaport and airport..supposedly for the 'project'

why am i so cynical?
well, basically NovaScotia is not a prime launch location....
places like the French site in S.A. do not require the expensive
launch-cost-per-payload-pound (as the equatorial speed of Earth
helps sling the rocket into orbit)
the Russian space-port was created there, because of the limited locations available to Russia, not because some mythical advantageous launch dynamics...the Russians need more power/larger boosters & use more fuel than the USAs launch vehicles from Florida.

to my eye, this is all a ploy, scam, pipe dream
the chance of a cost effective launch pad & commercial space facility
actually operating in NSis next to nil...but it might attract millions of $$
from dreamers and other charlatans

earlier you asked ~What else could you launch... ~

They, (imho), are launching a 'White Elephant' right now !

ride it if you like,
but don't say i didn't tell you so, when you realize you've been had

by the way, nice informative post 'V Kaminski'

[edit on 2-6-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
hell they should put one out here in new mex cannon afb is out here because we have on average 340 flyable days a year it only gets that bad during early summer

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
St. Udio has a valid point about the "White Elephant" factor in relation to this venture.

I can't be sure but I might suspect that they are not neccessarily after property for this specific purpose. If I'm not mistaken (I could be completely wrong) but in times of national emergency such premises would fall under military jurisdiction (same way RadarSat can be commandeered by US/CDN military).

The Cape Breton Highlands (up North on the map) could be used for either polar or equatorial orbits without overflying populated areas (as stated in one article)... the seasonal weather can be something other than what I'd call pleasant - the summer's great, but it's better than Churchill Manitoba weather-wise though.

I suppose one could launch whatever... but I do wonder. The OV design is 45 feet long which seems small - but it is a glider so... no matter - we'll find out. I keep thinking of the "Marines In Space" thread.

The Canadian Arrow people have yet to produce much of any flight hardware and are using a bunch of WW-II V-2 inspired motors lashed together. They could be "for real" but until I see an actual airframe... and successful launches - I'm thinkin' DeLorean or Come By Chance refinery, and most tragically AVRO's "The Arrow". A Conservative killed that - fella named Deifenbaker.

If the project fails completely might NASA not retain some rights to use that secured acreage? In one of the articles it talks about this site being similar to the one in Kodiak Alaska. Might not the contract give American interest "first-dibs" and other unstated privileges of use? It might make an attractive launch site for in-ground silo-launched "stuff".

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski

... the seasonal weather can be something other than what I'd call pleasant - the summer's great, but it's better than Churchill Manitoba weather-wise though.

If the project fails completely might NASA not retain some rights to use that secured acreage?

with the 'global warming' factored in, this presently 'marginal' landscape
could become prime 100+ hectacres...
then again, what about a domed, ala Bio-sphere, on a much grander scale?

as far as NASA & land rights, that will be negotiated (probably in secret)
with the Canadian (and i underscore-> Allies) powers that be....who are
according to the current thinking of CTers, in process of uniting into the
3 member NorthAmericanUnion (NAU)...which in all probability will result
in a re-evaluation of all existing agreements so that the interpetation of
these will be in agreement with NAU.

?? V-2 rocket motors ??
that's another dead giveaway...

but, your thoughts have given me shadowy ideas that this whole project/enterprise might be more of a black-ops undertaking,
instead of a private venture capitalists' scheme to bilk the public,
investors, & governments of US/Canada (for starters)

thanks,

top topics

join