It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia Considering Nuclear Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
With the current high price of crude oil in the markets today, the Malaysian Government is starting to consider other alternative sources of energy such as palm biodiesel and now, nuclear energy.

Malaysia may go for nuke energy

KUANTAN: Malaysia may explore the use of nuclear technology for power if the oil price shoots up to US$100 (RM370) a barrel.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis said the country need not venture into nuclear technology at present to generate power.

“However, the world is changing. Who would have thought oil could hit US$70 (RM259) a barrel?,” he told reporters at the 4th Informal Asean Ministerial Meeting on Science and Technology here yesterday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if Malaysia actually goes through with her plans, what will the reaction of world leaders be? It seems like the nuclear club is pretty exclusive, and the powers that be would not let just anyone join.

What do ATS members think the outcome will be?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I heard Bangladesh and Timbuktu are seeking nuclear weapons. Can anybody confirm this rumor?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
As long as malaysia is a member of the nuclear non proliferation treaty, their is no reason why it can not create nuclear power plants. With oil becoming scarce, and coal a pollutant, nuclear power is a clean albeit initially expensive alternative for power. I feel many nations will start to look at this option and the nuclear club will expand whether it likes it or not. Nations are entitled to develop appropriate infrastructure to provide services to its people.

new topics

join