It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Feelings About 9/11 - American Pride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
As an American, an American who lives about an hour from where the World Trade Center once stood, I have a question about the American perspective. 9/11 is one of those events in life that everyone knows exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
I for one recall exactly. I own a bakery/deli, and I was in the back baking bread getting ready for the lunch rush. Breakfast rush had ended, but usually one of the front workers would come back every couple of minutes to refill either a bagel tray, or anything else that was running low. There was usually alot of noise coming from the front, as we have a great atmosphere, where almost every customer is on a first name basis, and we (yes including me) have been known to break into singing a song for no reason - just alot of fun. Anyway for a little while I noticed that there was no "hub-bub" whatsoever. I walked out to the front. The sitting area has 15 tables, and a little TV for the customers. I'll never ever forget what I saw as I came to the front. Approximately 30 people including all of my employees, were huddled around the TV. By now the second tower had been hit, and reports of people jumping were being aired. A police officer who I nicknamed Big Steve, was a mountain of a man. Well over 6 feet tall, built like Shwartzenegger, and one of the toughest SOB's I've ever known, was standing watching the TV with tears flowing down his cheeks. I stood riveted. I haven't shed so many tears as I did that day since I was 3 years old. I was never so glad to go home and kiss my wife and babies.
I remember that for the next several months, Americans became a galvanized union. Every American, at least all of the ones I know, suddenly became brothers for lack of a better word. We forgot the petty hate. We stopped sweating the small stuff. The Star Spangled Banner became the Rallying Hymn it was meant to be when Francis Scott Key penned the immortal words. Everyone stood with hands on hearts and got misty, they stopped talking and sang along. The American Flag became the beautiful symbol of freedom it was meant to be. I saw people who didn't even acknowledge one another on September 10, helping one another as if they were long lost family after 9/11. People would yield to traffic, and wave one another in where just the day before, the finger would be used in the exact same situation. THERE WAS PRIDE. It was cool to say "GOD BLESS AMERICA". Thanksgiving has never ever had so much meaning. The holiday period was exceptionally beautiful.
It saddens me that that warmth has gone away. Why must a horrific event have to happen for us all to realize just how lucky we are, and what wonderful freedoms we have yet take for granted?

I am VERY PROUD to be an American. My gradparents on both sides came from Italy, and they worked hard and achieved the American dream. My ancestry is Italian, and I am proud of that, but when asked of my nationality, my response is not Italian, it is AMERICAN. I have not forgotten the feelings. My life was changed forever, and if I had 3 wishes - 1 of them would be to make those feelings we all shared come back, and never leave.

How do you all feel?

[edit on 30-8-2006 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I am not sure how the deaths of thousands of people would make us proud to be American. I am neither ashamed nor proud of my nationality. I simply love America for all the things the world fails to see are so right about it.

This is even more reason I feel especially angry about 9/11, as I believe our government played a big part in it, sacrificing a few thousand of our number to give them a public free pass to go around and start wars which are bad for America, which are hurting our nation inside and weakening us. All in the name of greed for a handful.

America is a state of mind, a set of principals that include self sufficency, opportunity, independance and individualism, and a bright future, and I feel these principals are in grave danger, not from foreigners, but from enemies within who wear the guise of fellow Americans and leaders.

When I first watched the attacks, I felt a rage and a desire to totally obliterate every Muslim in the world and bomb the Arabs back into the stone age. However, with research, study, thought, and reason, my rage is turned where it should be: the enemies and traitors within our government who were ultimately responsible for this mess, and I would love nothing more than to see them tried and hanged as the traitors that they are.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I am not sure how the deaths of thousands of people would make us proud to be American. I am neither ashamed nor proud of my nationality. I simply love America for all the things the world fails to see are so right about it.

Hey Skadi. I don't know how or why either, but the fact remains that it did. It did make us proud to be Americans. I have always been proud to be American, and always will be. I don't necessarily agree with, or even like for that matter, the current US Government. Goodness knows that there are MAJOR flaws with the elected people themselves, as well as a great deal of their policies. Israel for one, not to mention a plethora of others.

This is even more reason I feel especially angry about 9/11, as I believe our government played a big part in it, sacrificing a few thousand of our number to give them a public free pass to go around and start wars which are bad for America, which are hurting our nation inside and weakening us. All in the name of greed for a handful.

How can I argue this point? Well said.

new topics

join