It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAFTA Super Highway to Mean Mexican Drivers, say Teamsters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The NAFTA super trade highway, which is on the drawing board in Texas already, will allow the flow of truckloads of goods and illegal contraband and drugs to enter the US unchecked. In Mexico, the NAFTA super highway runs right through the Mexican "drug capital" town of Nuevo Laredo. The companies that Mexican truck drivers work for require them to drive 4,500 kilometers (2,796 miles) alone in 5 or 6 days, using drugs such as coc aine or crystal meth to stay awake is very common. Also, thousands of unsafe trucks will be traveling our highways, All of the Mexican truck drivers interviewed for this article say they have killed people in their trucks on the highway and fled the scene of the accident. This will also cost a lot of American truck drivers their jobs. China is investing heavily in Mexican ports right now, knowing once this corridor is opened, it will give China a free pass to get their illegal contraband (manufactured in slave camps and under-work shops) into the US.

www.worldnetdaily.com
WASHINGTON – The NAFTA superhighway, a north-south interstate trade corridor linking Mexico, Canada and the U.S., would mean U.S. truckers replaced by Mexicans, more unsafe rigs on American roads and more drivers relying on drugs for their long hauls, charges the International Brotherhood of Teamsters – the latest group to weigh in against the Bush administration plan.

The August issue of Teamster magazine features a cover story on the plan for an enlarged I-35 that will reach north from the drug capital border town of Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, 1,600 miles to Canada through San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Kansas City, Minneapolis and Duluth, while I-69 originating at the same crossing will shoot north to Michigan and across the Canadian border.

Public proposals for the superhighway calls for each corridor to be 1,200 feet wide with six lanes devoted to cars, four to trucks, with a rail line and utilities in the middle. Most of the goods will come from new Mexican ports being built on the Pacific Coast – ports being run by Chinese state-controlled shipping companies

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really think this NAFTA super highway is a really bad idea for the US and probably Canada too.

Not only because of the above reasons, but this will allow products to enter the US with almost no way to check what is crossing our border. Also, the lack of regulations the Mexican government requires companies in Mexico to follow or abide by makes almost everything manufactured in Mexico cheaper than products made in the US. This will cause many US companies to go out of business.

How can US made goods compete with other countries goods, that don't have all the regulations, rules and laws that protect the environment and workers, pricewise. All these rules, regulations and laws that US companies have to abide by naturally make US goods more expensive. I believe that if all these plans for the NAFTA super highway do happen, it is really going to hurt the economy of the US like it has never been hurt before.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 28/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
In Michigan, I already see a lot of Mexican truck drivers. We have a friend who is an independent trucker and he says it's already an issue. He also said that his attempt to get contracts after hurricane Katrina went down in defeat. Many of the contracts went to Mexicans, although whether legal or illegal he could not say.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If this ever happens, it'll be a long way off. But something like this may eventually be necessary to compete with larger countries and blocs like the EU and China. I think all customs and immigration checks between the U.S. and Canada could be eliminated quickly though, if Canada and the U.S. could agree on a coordinated immigration policy for citizens of other nations coming into both countries.

[edit on 8/28/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't see that happening DJ, because we have different needs then the USA does when it comes to immigration. We've just finished another callous round of deportations of skilled Portuguese construction workers....during a construction boom..........and labor shortage in certain provinces.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Texas has awarded a Spanish company a contract already to build and operate an alternative highway to I-35 that is being called the Trans-Texas Corridor which will eventually become the NAFTA super highway.

Source/ Article

Grupo Ferrovial, Spain’s construction, infrastructure and services giant, had a busy summer acquiring airports in the UK and Peru. Now it has a concession to build and operate a Texas superhighway

Construction of the new toll road project, designed to develop an alternative route to Interstate 35 as part of the planned Trans-Texas Corridor is due to start early next year.

This would be part of the ‘super-highway’ spanning the United States from the Mexican border at Laredo, making its way through Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma and connecting with the Canadian highway system north of Duluth, Minnesota.

Because it would provide a connection all the way between Canada and Mexico, the project is also described as the North American Free Trade Area (NAFTA) super highway.

“The new high capacity road will absorb growth in long-distance truck traffic expected as a result of trade agreements between the United States, Mexico and Canada.”

It may be a while before it's in full swing, but the infra-structure of the NAFTA super highway is already starting.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hopefully, whoever takes office after George Bush will flush this NAFTA load of crap right down the ole proverbial toilet. Otherwise the security of the US in these dangerous times will be even more of a joke.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'd be for this whole idea if we forced Mexico to rehulate its shippings,
but seeing how were not, I don't like it.

I have a better idea, how about we build this superhighway so that it
connects the East and West coats, and in the middle go's North to Canda.
I think that would be a better idea.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Or we could make Mexico into a state, and omg, no more immigrants from the south! Southern border is alot easier to wall up and secure.

Then the ports in Mexico will officially be under US jurisdiction. All we have to do is regularly execute corrupted officials for treason to Democracy when they are uncovered and the mere thought of being bribed will scare the # outta any of the politicians.

Not to mention the wonderful tax revenue we will have from developing the biggest state in the Union and the newly added workforce. How else are we going to compete wit Europe? That union is only getting bigger...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The problem with that is the Mexican economy is shi'ite,
and making them a state when the country ranges from being
second to third world, without a huge amount of effort and money,
it would screw our economy.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
We are capitalists, private investors are what develop capitalist countires, not the government. All those #ty buildings they have will have to be brought up to code, sold, or siezed. If it gets siezed our government makes the money from selling the property to private investors who will destroy it, then create housing or business. Bam, there goes propery tax, business licenses, new employees, more income tax. Absorbing Mexico will not destroy our economy, it will make it #ING BOOOM!!!

We absorb their national database of all the citizens, and simply require English ANd Spanish to be the primary languages taught in all schools, from K-12 here and there. Within ten years most of their coutnry will have become bilingaul.

See I am going to run for President in about 16-24 years, and if someone does not make this happen by then, I will. Support me and our Union will grow. Continue to think backwards, harbor intolerance, and fear change in the world, and our Union will fall.

NAFTA highway? Sure why not. I think that will definetly help Wal-Mart grow into the only retailer in America.

See I am an NWo agent and I come to tell you you need to stop fearing a united Earth. Cuz them damn aliens are comign ya know? And they just want to exploit us for our gold see? We have to unite our planet and kick them out or we will remain slaves forever see?

See I took some strange pills earlier, and I believe it has made me alot more open.

Peace out homies!

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   

We are capitalists, private investors are what develop capitalist countires, not the government. All those #ty buildings they have will have to be brought up to code, sold, or siezed. If it gets siezed our government makes the money from selling the property to private investors who will destroy it, then create housing or business. Bam, there goes propery tax, business licenses, new employees, more income tax. Absorbing Mexico will not destroy our economy, it will make it #ING BOOOM!!!

Such an unfortunate thing that is to, us ebing a capitalist country that is.
Honestly I had'nt thought about that, and your most likely right as well.

We absorb their national database of all the citizens, and simply require English ANd Spanish to be the primary languages taught in all schools, from K-12 here and there. Within ten years most of their coutnry will have become bilingaul.

I disagree with mandatory teaching spanish, I'm a proponent for english as our national language, that and I failed Spanish completely.

See I am going to run for President in about 16-24 years, and if someone does not make this happen by then, I will. Support me and our Union will grow. Continue to think backwards, harbor intolerance, and fear change in the world, and our Union will fall.

Had to the math on that, I'll vote for you on the first election, but I intend to run in the 2032 and beyond elections.
And your right about the rest to.

I think that will definetly help Wal-Mart grow into the only retailer in America.

Now that IS a scary thought.

See I am an NWO agent and I come to tell you you need to stop fearing a united Earth. Cuz them damn aliens are comign ya know? And they just want to exploit us for our gold see? We have to unite our planet and kick them out or we will remain slaves forever see?

Well, I agree that a United Earth/single world government is a good idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with mexican drivers...
and although the worldnutdaily is a top news source of reliability
, I think the statement "everyone of the mexican drivers has killed someone and fled the scene" is farsical, and beyond proving...

BUT...

there IS an issue with mexican drivers being qualified to drive here, and perhaps they should require a US drivers license test, since these are commercial workers.

Also, mexican trucking companies have to be held to the same standards of safety as US companies...

If a mexican truck is judged to be unsafe at a weigh station, then the truck should be impounded immediately...

also, the old rule of meth or coc aine to drive is BS...
I have driven halfway across the US in 24hrs, with only coffee as my friend... and it works fine...
2700 miles in 5-6 days is a cake walk... that breaks down to less than 10hrs a day...

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
There is nothing wrong with mexican drivers...

The part about the Mexican truck drivers is not really why a submitted this article.

It was mainly the fact the the NAFTA super highway is already starting to be contracted out to be built, something I didn't know and I think alot of other people didn't know.

The other reason was to find out how other people feel about this NAFTA super highway and what they think it might mean to US companies and employment in the US. Also there is an interesting part as to how the super highway goes right through a Mexican city that has been called the drug capital of Mexico.

In my personal comments in the submission of this article, that was where I was trying to steer comments about this thread.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
All of the Mexican truck drivers interviewed for this article say they have killed people in their trucks on the highway and fled the scene of the accident.[...]In my personal comments in the submission of this article, that was where I was trying to steer comments about this thread.

Not only farcicial, but intentionally inflammatory? In what is touted as a "news" site?

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by Keyhole
All of the Mexican truck drivers interviewed for this article say they have killed people in their trucks on the highway and fled the scene of the accident.[...]In my personal comments in the submission of this article, that was where I was trying to steer comments about this thread.

Not only farcicial, but intentionally inflammatory? In what is touted as a "news" site?

Why did you put two statements together that had nothing to do with each other.

The first part of an ATSSN thread is describing the article, after the paragraphs copied from the article goes THE AUTHOR OF THE THREADS COMMENTS, these are what I was reffering to.

And I guess you missed this

The part about the Mexican truck drivers is not really why a submitted this article.

[edit on 29/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My apologies. The first time through the article was a scan and I missed the line about "all the Mexican drivers". I assumed you were editorializing. Sorry 'bout that.

It still seems kind of inflammatory. Certainly not provable.

I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ok, now that I have become sane again...

The NAFTA highway is not a bad idea IMO. If anything, it will make the reality of a North American union much closer than previously thought. As we speak, well not at this very moment here and now anyways, but more this point in time, lawmakers are drafting, submitting, redrafting and re-submitting legislation and whatnot in regards to the topic at hand. It is happening, much like most of our laws have happened. In the right places, without the proper publicity or insight.

This is what our congressional delegates and Senators do everyday. The laws will be and are currently being made to make sure all proper measures are taken into consideration with this highway. It just is not plastered across Fox, CNN or our daily local newspapers because it is occuring as the regular work of our everyday representatives. The same way all our traffic laws, tax laws, medical laws, computer laws, and other laws have been done, the legislation for this thing is happening now. It just probably will not be written in a way most of us can understand after reading it right away, like most of our laws anyways.

So yea I hope this will push us to a North American union sooner, or we will not be able to properly compete with our other Western counterparts in the future, the Europeans.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Irrespective of inflammatory issues, I don't agree with the "NAFTA highway being a good idea". The first port of entry will be Kansas City. And we're talking about a massive amount of private land being confiscated by a foreign-controlled consortium for the false proposition of some kind of government endeavor.

It stinks to high-heaven, and does not have the best interest of the American people in mind. It will hurt U.S. port workers, U.S. truckers, and will not have the security of the U.S. citizens at the level it should be.

Shame on all involved in this effort. Including those who can't speak on the facts of the matter without being inflammatory.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I don't agree with the "NAFTA highway being a good idea". The first port of entry will be Kansas City. And we're talking about a massive amount of private land being confiscated by a foreign-controlled consortium for the false proposition of some kind of government endeavor.

Here is a little more info on the "Kansas City Smart Port".

Source

Kansas City SmartPort Inc. is an “investor based organization supported by the public and private sector” to create the key hub on the NAFTA Super Highway. At the Kansas City SmartPort, the containers from the Far East can be transferred to trucks going east and west, dramatically reducing the ground transportation time dropping the containers off in Los Angeles or Long Beach involves for most of the country. A brochure on the SmartPort website describes the plan in glowing terms: “For those who live in Kansas City, the idea of receiving containers nonstop from the Far East by way of Mexico may sound unlikely, but later this month that seemingly far-fetched notion will become a reality.”

I just also don't see how the security they are planning will be good for the security of the US or it can possibly be able to keep out illegal goods or substances.

Bush Administration Quietly Plans NAFTA Super Highway

Once complete, the new road will allow containers from the Far East to enter the United States through the Mexican port of Lazaro Cardenas, bypassing the Longshoreman’s Union in the process. The Mexican trucks, without the involvement of the Teamsters Union, will drive on what will be the nation’s most modern highway straight into the heart of America. The Mexican trucks will cross border in FAST lanes, checked only electronically by the new “SENTRI” system. The first customs stop will be a Mexican customs office in Kansas City, their new Smart Port complex, a facility being built for Mexico at a cost of $3 million to the U.S. taxpayers in Kansas City.

The "Sentri" system mentioned in the above paragraph will let any vehicle into the US from Mexico to "rapidly" enter the US with the proper electronic info. and the right driver in the truck.

Please go to page 2 on the following source and read "What is Sentry"

Rules and Regulations

It does say vehicles may be "randomly inspected" though. But if not, heck, they are in the US now.
I,m sorry I,m quoting so much, but it seems to me, on ATS, news articles or sources are always requested to back your opinion or claims up, and all the sources of info I'm finding are just saying what I would say. No reason to keep repeating things.

Source

The details of the NAFTA Super Highway are hidden in plan view. Still, Bush has not given speeches to bring the NAFTA Super Highway plans to the full attention of the American public. Missing in the move toward creating a North American Union is the robust public debate that preceded the decision to form the European Union. All this may be for calculated political reasons on the part of the Bush Administration.

A good reason Bush does not want to secure the border with Mexico may be that the administration is trying to create express lanes for Mexican trucks to bring containers with cheap Far East goods into the heart of the U.S., all without the involvement of any U.S. union workers on the docks or in the trucks

If you can't tell yet, YES, I don't like what is going on. Why aren't the US people being informed? It's our country and livelyhoods at stake!

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
No Keyhole do not apologize, those quotes and source are exactly what a great poster does to contribute to our community. Keep up the great work. I did actually submit an ATSNN article last year when news of the Kansas City foreign port was first released, but not many paid attention. I guess it only matters once it begins to happen.

Here is my article from November 2005. Mexico To Open Island Port In Kansas City

[edit on 8/29/2006 by DYepes]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join