It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bit Torrent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just getting old, what happened to just plain old downloading lol.
I need somebody to give me a 101 on what the hell a bit torrent is, and pretend you're talking to a complete idiot. Clients and Agents, Trackers... Is it file sharing? Do you have to have certain bit torrents to get different material? I've googled it but still don't understand it. I found this site and the curiosity has driven me to sign up but I don't understand how to get into the files.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Hey twitchy i did`nt want to just lurk and wait for a response to your questions about bit torrents as if your the only complete idiot on the subject,tho in my case please dont pretend i`m a complete idiot on the subject,be assured i am.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
All I know of Bit Torrent is it's based peer-to-peer, with seeding.
This is where a file to be download is broken into small pieces, which can then be simultaneously downloaded from various sources.
It is intended for distribution of large files.

If you want to try it, get a client with an interface you are comfortable with. I think I've used BitComet.

Be warned, the chance of ending up on someone's "Take Notice" list is there, and the files can be distributed from anywhere, which could lead to a virus.

[edit on 8/28/2006 by bothered]

Cug

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Basically bittorrent is P2P filesharing.

When you download a .torrent file it tells your bittorent client where to find the file. Then you start downloading the file in little chucks from many diffrent people... As soon as you have a chunk your client will start offering to upload the file to other people. So everybody who is downloading is also uploading.

In a perfect world this allows a big file to be distributed without any one site having to provide the bandwidth. Lets take a Linux install disk for example when a distro puts a new release out normally there would be hundreds or even thousands of people downloading a 700MB file for the same location. That can cost alot of money. Using Bittorrent you would only have to upload it once and the people who download it take the strain off the server.

[edit on 8/28/2006 by Cug]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the explaination and simply put Cug

Cheers Bothered for the heads up warning useing it,i`m having enough problems with "System Doctor" on ATS
at present,i`ll steer clear thanx.

Edn

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bothered

Be warned, the chance of ending up on someone's "Take Notice" list is there, and the files can be distributed from anywhere, which could lead to a virus.

One of the benefits of BitTorrent is the lack of files with viruses, unlike other P2P applications most tracker sites have some sort of comment section for all the torrents so chances are if a files does contain a virus you will know about it very very fast and they are usually deleted shortly after.

One thing to keep in mind is to always seed to at least a 1:1 ratio (upload as much as you download)

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If you like using torrents, i suggest you use bitlord as bitorrent has been blocked by alot of torrent websites, utorrent is good aswell, but if you dont already understand.

trackers are the places you download what ever you want from, the more trackers is usually better and if it has no trackers it means it wont download at that time.

The only bad things about torrents is you need a torrent manager to download, its similar to limewire, kazaa type applications but you find the product on websites not throught the actuall application, i hope this has helped

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It's actually pretty handy. Unlike with other p2ps, large downloads of 2-5 gb come through in a matter of hours rather than days. Through it, I was able to download entire seasons of TV shows in a matter of days. My girlfriend hates me now because I made her sit and watch the last 3 seasons of Stargate SG-1 with me.

If anyone needs specific tutorials just send me a u2u. I'm not sure if discussing p2p file sharing is against the T&C, so maybe it should be kept out of the forums

For that matter, I thnk this would be a better fit for the BTS computer help forum anyway.

new topics

top topics

join