It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are any world currency's backed by gold

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
the topic of the thread is gold back currency.

who cares how rare gold is.
----
i read somewhere that the dinar is backed by gold. this is why the islamic contries have been buying gold.

the world bank has been keeping a tight fist on thier gold (i think this is where all the gold in ft. knox went) keeping prices high.

i also read, that china will be reinstating the gold backed currency, as soon as opec switches to the euro for trading oil. (notice they refuse to unpegg there currency, which was a rule when they entered the wto. they are now, i think, 4 years past the dead-line for unpegging it.)

when this happens, you will see all the countries who hold dollars, quickly dump them. and you had better been holding some gold.

then, china will make its move, and soon there after will be the foriegn reserve currency. then china, assuming USD is done with, will be the worlds super power.

so learn your mandrin everybody!

So we close all the walmart factories and any others, the workers will
crowd the towns and streets and revolt and sell off the gold cheep
and beg the us dollar to come back and make walmart junk again.

It might take 30 years but so what.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Silver seems to be a very good thing to buy nowadays. It is for one rarer than gold, is better at conducting electricity, etc....

When President John Fitzgerald Kennedy - the author of Profiles in Courage -signed this Order, it returned to the federal government, specifically the Treasury Department, the Constitutional power to create and issue currency -money - without going through the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank.

President Kennedy's Executive Order 11110 [the full text is displayed further below] gave the Treasury Department the explicit authority: "to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury."

www.john-f-kennedy.net...

Morgan Silver dollar

Secret Societies » What is a morgan silver dollar worth?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-11-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
Alternatively,

Illicit Drugs, Preserved Alcohol, and Preserved Cigarettes will not devalue, they'll increase in value, during a major depression of the U.S. economy or if the 'crap hits the fan' and we have total social upheavel and anarchy.

So if you cant get your hands on gold, silver, or precious gems lol, stock up on beer, cigarettes, and whatever else you can get your hands on.

Edit: I'd suspect in an anarchic, ruined future, even the seeds that grow illicit substances would be way more valuable than they are currently.

[edit on 11/8/2006 by runetang]

Like the days of Al Capone and the Rum Runners or Wiskey from Canada,
a law that handed money into the hands of law breakers.

Nothing like logic when making laws.

Human Factors are lacking in many a human thought.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Silver seems to be a very good thing to buy nowadays. It is for one rarer than gold, is better at conducting electricity, etc....

When President John Fitzgerald Kennedy - the author of Profiles in Courage -signed this Order, it returned to the federal government, specifically the Treasury Department, the Constitutional power to create and issue currency -money - without going through the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank.

President Kennedy's Executive Order 11110 [the full text is displayed further below] gave the Treasury Department the explicit authority: "to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury."

Morgan Silver dollar

Wasn't that order repealed by LBJ.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Morgan Silver dollar

Wasn't that order repealed by LBJ.

LBJ just ordered the issue of silver certificates to stop. The executive order, giving the president the power, to print silver certificates is still valid.

Again, according to our own research, just five months after Kennedy was assassinated, no more of the Series 1958 "Silver Certificates" were issued either, and they were subsequently removed from circulation. Perhaps the assassination of JFK was a warning to all future presidents not to interfere with the private Federal Reserve's control over the creation of money.

We can now safely conclude that this Executive Order has never been repealed, amended, or superceded by any subsequent Executive Order. In simple terms, it is still valid.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yeah back in the 60s the silver coins went out of circulation.

So the silver backed dollar had to go since the silver quarters

would not be around to demand for change.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I skipped the last page and a half, so forgive me if I'm reiterating someone.

The average joe doesn't need to invest in any valuable metals. When/if the crap hits the fan, most people won't trade you anything for useless heavy, hard material. The currency of choice will be some form of paper currency. Who's currency is to be decided. If conditions deteriorate completely, the currency of choice will be food, water and weapons.

Only those folk who deal with folk who can turn valuable metals into something of value(meaning potential human labor) should concern themselves with hoarding gold, etc.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
nextguyinline wrote just what I was going to. How in the world can one effectively exchange bullion for goods in a major depression? You cant just shave off a hunk and attatch a market value to it. When something hits the fan, food water and contraband are the easiest way to barter. If I need food and I have a case of whiskey and some silver earrings, which do you think the guy on the street will take as more valuable?

I know this is slightly off topic, but the thread did raise that question in me.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Useful materials such as food and water would be the trading materials of choice in the case of a major depression, but the only way one can maintain sizable wealth is with precious metals. One cannot stock up on food and water and store them until the depression is over. That is why gold is such an important and valuable material in times of crisis.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajh91
What did you mean by backed by 15% gold, is the euro actually redeemable with gold? Can you take your euros to a bank and get gold or not?

It's like djohnsto77 said. The Euro isn't back by gold as such, but the European Central Bank does keep gold reserves that it can use to buy Euros to support the currency if needed.

So no, you can't redeem your Euros for gold at a bank.. YOu can of course take your money to a gold dealer who would be happy to oblige. I agree the "backed by 15% gold" term is confusing and I've never seen an reliable source for that info.. I presume it means the ECB aiming to hold enough gold to convert 15% of the outstanding Euro notes into gold, or in other words, holding enough gold to redeem each Euro for 15c worth of gold.

Personally, I'd rather go to the gold dealer and get a whole Euro's worth of gold for my Euro. (well, 95c worth once the costs/spread is taken into account), but maybe that's just me!

As things are, there are no restrictions on anyone owning gold, so really it's up to the individual to decide whether to store their own "value" in cash, gold, bricks'n'mortar, pokemon cards or something else... and IMHO that's how it should be in a free society.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Btw, For those who do want to invest in gold, or are looking for a gold-backed "currency" to convert their dollars into, the best option may be to invest in a gold ETF, or exchange traded fund.

For those that don't know, this is similar to a mutual fund, only it holds gold rather than stocks. the gold ETF is 100% backed by gold, so it's value tracks the gold price exactly. Unlike a mutual fund, there are no management fees, so assuming it's not total societal meltdown you are trying to hedge against, it's the cheapest and most efficient way to invest in gold.. you just need to open an online brokerage account and buy the ticker symbol GLD

The advantage of this is narrow spreads on the buy/sell prices than you would get buying and selling bars or bullion. You can buy or sell at the click of a mouse, and you don't have to worry about storage, theft etc..

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If the world has an oil economy then the dollar is backed by oil for

the countries that have the oil and the countries that buy the oil.

So we are safe for centuries.

Most trade and the products are based on oil, except for third world that
have all the coconuts they need, we most likely force the banana growers
to export.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr_albest
Useful materials such as food and water would be the trading materials of choice in the case of a major depression, but the only way one can maintain sizable wealth is with precious metals. One cannot stock up on food and water and store them until the depression is over. That is why gold is such an important and valuable material in times of crisis.

Interesting, I do have gold, hedge, metals ... investments but the big thing is
food and in light of what I just said we gotta move to a crowded coconut island.

Thinking back to the depression, I think that was do to lack of oil until the
Gulf and Texas oil was found to power WWII and the cars nowadays.

Selling apples in the street, yeah it was food in the soup kitchens everyone
went to.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

If the world has an oil economy then the dollar is backed by oil for

the countries that have the oil and the countries that buy the oil.

So we are safe for centuries.

The Iraq move is a short term fix for the oil backed dollar, unless the oil stays in the ground and we switch to alternative fuels. Then the untapped oil reserves in the middle east will maintain value as an alternative energy source if we ever encounter problems with alternative energy.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thinking back to the depression, I think that was do to lack of oil until the
Gulf and Texas oil was found to power WWII and the cars nowadays.

Selling apples in the street, yeah it was food in the soup kitchens everyone
went to.

Everyone wants a free lunch

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There are no alternative fuels, there are alternative raw materials.

Gold is worthless unless you put it around your neck to look pretty. Oil is third only to water and sulfuric acid in importance, but is less readily available than the other two. Very few nations have gone to war over trade disputes involving gold, but trade disputes involving oil have led to every major conflict in the last 100 years.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aramco
There are no alternative fuels, there are alternative raw materials.

Gold is worthless unless you put it around your neck to look pretty. Oil is third only to water and sulfuric acid in importance, but is less readily available than the other two. Very few nations have gone to war over trade disputes involving gold, but trade disputes involving oil have led to every major conflict in the last 100 years.

Exactly.
No alternative power sources other than oil, a great source of many products.
Even with the loss of major uses, oil will continue as a raw material.

The emergence of anything powerful from Zero Point Radiation effects
means there may not be any. Other than perhaps zpr being involved in
fluorescent lighting operation and isotope decay, the principle has not
even moved into a major factor catagory.

Now if gold became a factor, that would be interesting.
Is gold that inert, its good for electrical contacts.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BennyHill

100% correct .. this world is a big lie and i do realize it and do care ... so i am trying to focus on what all purposes the process of evolution is meant for ... in this regard my most favourite lines are Bhagwan Rajnish's epitaph on his tombstone .." Osho,Never born , Never died,only visited the planet Earth between December 11,1931 and January 19 , 1990 ."

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ArbitraryGuy

Gold has been used for thousand of years and it has value simply because it is limited. People can not make gold- there is only a limited supply of it. (Doesn't mean people haven't tried- remember alchemy)? Fiat currencies, however, NOT backed by gold are completely useless because they can literally be printed as fast as the printing press can go.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join