It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Breed of Bear Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
A new hybrid of grizzly bear and polar bear have been found...how was it possible they could come together in the wild? Its always been possible, but how would a grizzly get to the polar regions?

Click here read more

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
well grizly bears and polar bears are basically the same animal with different coloured furr and their territories do ovelap so it doesn't surprise me. Don't know about new breed of bear though, it is only a hybrid.

[edit on 26-8-2006 by ajh91]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Alledgly, this is the first time recorded with out humans forcing it on them, so it i guess it is quite intresting.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure I would call it interesting. It is likely more evidence of the damage we are doing to the environment and the habitat of the planet's species. Normally these two bears fight when they encounter each other in the wild.
www.cbc.ca...

The reduction of sea ice has, in recent years, resulted in polar bears being forced into communities and causing problems with humans. It is also possible that the same melting is causing the two species to be in closer proximity during mating season during which time it is possible that they would mate rather than fight. I suppose that this could be a rare occurance but there is no doubt about the dissapearance of sea ice so it seems quite reasonable to make the connection.

Wig

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Pretty disgusting allowing the killing of a polar bear - an endangered species.

As for the new hybrid, well there was one now there's none. Way to go mankind!

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A pizzly?
What kind of horrible name is that?
If it's a Grizzly and Polar Bear mix, they should just call it "DEATH BEARZ"

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Seems to me that if one is going to force two different species of bears to mate it would be the Kodiak and Polar Bear since they both roam basically the same areas.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the only difference between Grizzly, Brown and Kodiak bears was geography.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garaman Rex
I was under the impression that the only difference between Grizzly, Brown and Kodiak bears was geography.

You're pretty well on target there, GR...here's some info;

www.explorenorth.com...

The scientific name for the brown bear is Ursus arctos. In North America, there is a lot of confusion about the differences between brown bears, grizzlies and Kodiak bears. They are all Ursus arctos, but there are 2 recognized subspecies,

Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis)

Kodiak brown bear (Ursus arctos middendorfi)
In general the coastal bears are brown bears, the interior bears are grizzlies and the Kodiaks live only on Kodiak Island. Coloration varies greatly, from black to the famous blondes of Denali Park.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This stuff makes me sick, how did they find out that there was a new species of bear? By first killing it! There are lot's of ways of finding stuff out about a new species that don't require killing it

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I think hunting animals for anything but food is so wrong, killing should not be a sport, its amazing how some people dont realise that they feel pain too.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by krax
I think hunting animals for anything but food is so wrong, killing should not be a sport, its amazing how some people dont realise that they feel pain too.

What you don't realize is that some animals require population management in order to keep the species healthy and with the square footage they need in order to have enough to eat. If some animals were not hunted such as white tailed deer, they would end up starving to death in mass. Even with hunting a large number of game animals starve or get genetically diseased due to lack of nutrition and then mating and passing bad genes on.

I agree that there are poachers and people that just kill to kill but the vast majority of sportsman are responsible for keeping these animals thriving. I love it when people sit in their warm houses and complain about hunters while the hunters are out planting trees, setting up salt licks and doing many, many other things to help manage the wildlife.

These animals take many days to starve, lying in the snow, too exhausted to even get up. This would have been the natural way 200 years ago but due to the expansion of man it is no longer as natural. I personally have come upon several animals starved and starving deep in the forest. There is not much you can do because at that point they are too weak to eat or drink and if you touch them they go into shock and die quickly. Now that is heart wrenching.

I can also tell you that a good sportsman will never take a shot that he is not sure of.

Get educated before you point fingers and make assumptions.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Fair enough, but i ment more like poachers, and i do not consider killing animals to save them hunting, thats humane, but those who fish, rip there mouth out and throw them back in are wrong, those who catch bears in beartraps are so wrong, imagine been in one of those.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Fair enough! I guess it's a monday and I'm being a bit touchy.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Not really, its good that you let out your views, thats what this sites all about, lol, but to be honest i think we support the same cause, trying to stop animals been mistreated and hoping for whats in there best intrest.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
First of all, I don't think the hunter knew it was a new species when he shot it. From the pictures, it looks like a polar bear to me! Secondly, how is hunting "mistreating" animals? As far as I know, they don't have many legal rights, and if it was legal for the guy to hunt polar bears, I don't see how you can feel bad for it. And I'd also like to know, what exactly is the "best interest" for animals?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well in my opinion "best intrest" is not killing all of them for fun, but not letting them over populate to the point where there starving.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

What you don't realize is that some animals require population management in order to keep the species healthy and with the square footage they need in order to have enough to eat.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought Polar Bears are endangered species, so that makes it never ok to shoot them.

There are many jerks in the world that are still killing animals just to make a coat or rug out of it, but there are also people who realise that all these years mankind have been treating animals in the wrong way, and are now trying to make up for that, by protecting these creatures from becoming extinct, that's our best interest for them if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoSuchAgency

What you don't realize is that some animals require population management in order to keep the species healthy and with the square footage they need in order to have enough to eat.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought Polar Bears are endangered species, so that makes it never ok to shoot them.

There are many jerks in the world that are still killing animals just to make a coat or rug out of it, but there are also people who realise that all these years mankind have been treating animals in the wrong way, and are now trying to make up for that, by protecting these creatures from becoming extinct, that's our best interest for them if you ask me.

I agree with you completely, hunting for anything but food isn't right at all. Population kulling in my country is just an excuse for posh people with stately homes to don red jackets and chase after foxes with dogs so i don't hold with the either.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
heh, cool a new Super BEAR!!! Be cool if it could fly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join