It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Use the Complain Feature for Complaints.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Agent T's provocative avatars are a good reason to use the complaint button. *cough*

I know you're all that, but i;d rather see you with some clothes on, dude

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
ATS mods are removing posts that are on legit news sites. I posted a link to a FOX news site with a after hanging video of Saddam and a mob trashed it saying

It was necessary to move a thread you created titled, New After Hanging Saddam Video which was originally posted in the Other Current Events forum, to the Trash Bin forum. 12m8keall2c has initiated this action, and included this message about it:

ATS is a family site with No need for that extent of gore. Real or not it's a bit over the top considering we have members 13-14 years of age.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
12m8keall2c
ATS Member and moderator

ATS is changing. I am not complaining I am informing my fellow ATS posters and readers.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
ATS is a family site with No need for that extent of gore. Real or not it's a bit over the top considering we have members 13-14 years of age.

well, that isnt the first or the last time a thread has been trashed due to ats being a 'family site'.

the problem with this is how do you discuss certain subjects at all if you are always going to be worrying about children seeing whats there? i saw a brilliant quote somewhere recently saying something like 'it's like banning steak for everyone just because children can't chew it'.

perhaps there ought to be a new forum created (with an age disclaimer login or something) where adults can discuss 'adult' issues in an adult manner? im not saying there ought to be a gorefest section or anything like that but the majority of people here i assume are adults, some don't even have children and neither should be prevented from discussing sometimes sensitive issues for fear of someone else's children reading what they don't want them to.

now, if we had a dedicated poll forum (cough ... which i've requested twice & still had no reply to hint hint
) then perhaps members could vote on whether they would like a child-safe login and an adult content login if thats possible

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
perhaps there ought to be a new forum created (with an age disclaimer login or something) where adults can discuss 'adult' issues in an adult manner?

While I agree this would be decent, I also would like to point out that such a feature would be only mildly useful. Seriously, do you know how many times I clicked a button that said "Yes, I am over 18" when I was 16 or 17? Unless you're wanting CC verification (which is far from foolproof--any kid who knows where their parent's wallet is can pass that), there's little you can do to keep people out of a particular area based on their age. However, some kind of forum with a blatant disclaimer may be useful.

On the OT though--and sorry for "necroposting" this, just never noticed it until now--I like intrepid's rule of thumb (if it needs a reply from staff, then use the complain button.) In spite of that though, I'm sure there's plenty of times where an issue that a member thinks only staff can resolve can be handled in BB&Q.

Xeven's post is a good example of that--they complain that a post got moved; another member could've explained why, without needing to bother a mod about it.

Another benefit to posting such a complaint in the public forum is that an issue that might normally be blown off by staff based on what they perceive to be the status quo can be discussed by the members. Keeping with the above example, maybe at this point in time, the membership isn't as family oriented, and more people on here think that the graphic violence should've been left in. The staff make their decision based on possibly outdated perceptions, and it's contrary to what the actual membership would want.

Personally, I'd be more apt to say that matters that may single out an individual or issues with the site that are obvious bugs (ie half the smilies don't appear or site text--not thread/post text--is misspelled) should be handled via the complaint procedure; issues with the management of the site--not individual mods or admins, but general procedures--or other suggestions should be handled openly for everyone to give input on.

Just my $0.02.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Isn't it ironic that a thread which was authored to alert members to use the Complain function, is being used to vent complaints? Alerting the members, I would have to disagree, seems drama and complaining. But if it were my thread, and my effort that went into it, I may feel entirely different. Agreeing to disagree.

justy, the quote you are referring to is by Mark Twain. Our Super Mod parrhesia has it as her signature.

"Censorship is like telling a man he can not have a steak, because a baby can not chew it"

I've had plenty of my threads moved, a lot of times I strongly disagreed. I contacted the staff member via u2u and discussed the reasoning behind the decision. Sometimes I could understand from the staff's perspective, while others I could not. In the end, we are a guest in their community. If they deem something is inappropriate, then it is inappropriate. At least we are given ample opportunity to express our displeasure, and assuming it is done with decorum, we are never faulted for it.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I must be having eye problems, cause I looked and I no longer see the complaint or suggestion link/button at the top of the page(s). Maybe someone can tell me where my eyeballs should be looking, or shall it remain only accessible thru the Member Center from now on?

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join