It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Completed your Military Service? Going Home? Not so fast...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i only have a few other links for this because i'm listening to this now on the local channel 5 news station and decided to visit their site to get the link, but as soon as i can find other ones, i'll be sure to post them. (or if anyone can find a link to this please fell free to give, thanx much). this is the local fox5 news, not the national one. the info they give on the tv and the one on their site are pretty much the same, so if there are any discrepancies, i apologize as i have just heard about this right now...

www.myfoxdc.com...

The Marine Corps will soon begin ordering thousands of its troops back to active duty because of a shortage of volunteers for Iraq and Afghanistan — the first involuntary recall since the early days of the war.

Up to 2,500 Marines will be brought back at a time, and there is no cap on the total number who may be forced back into service as the military helps fight the war on terror. The call-ups will begin in the next several months.

The number of troops in Iraq has climbed back to 138,000 — the prevailing number for much of last year. Troop levels had been declining this year, to a low of about 127,000, amid growing calls from Congress and the public for a phased withdrawal. Escalating violence in Baghdad has led military leaders to increase the U.S. presence there.

This is the first time the Marines have had to use the involuntary recall since the beginning of the Iraq combat. The Army, meanwhile, has issued orders recalling about 10,000 soldiers so far, but many of those may be granted exemptions.

Marine Col. Guy A. Stratton, head of the manpower mobilization section, estimated that there is a current shortfall of about 1,200 Marines needed to fill positions in upcoming deployments.

Some of the military needs, he said, include engineers, intelligence, military police and communications.

As of Tuesday, nearly 22,000 of the 138,000 troops in Iraq were Marines.

The call-up will affect Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve, a segment of the reserves that consists mainly of those who have left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligations.

Generally, Marines enlist for four years, then serve the other four years either in the regular Reserves, where they are paid and train periodically, or in the Individual Ready Reserve. Marines in the IRR are obligated to report only one day a year but can be involuntarily recalled to active duty.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

also:

www.usatoday.com...
The Pentagon also has extended tours of duty from 12 months to 15 months, barred soldiers who are already deployed from leaving even if they reach the end of their enlistment contract or their retirement date, and called up large numbers of reservists and National Guard troops.

"They've used almost every trick in the book to keep people in, to extend them well beyond their expectations," says Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Calif., a member of the House Armed Services Committee who has been critical of postwar planning by the Bush administration. "It's desperation."

Jeremy Broussard, 27, of Bowie, Md., was not allowed to leave the military after he completed four years of active duty. Due to become inactive in May 2003, he had planned to begin law school last fall at Tulane University in New Orleans. Instead, he had to stay in the Army until November 2003.

Broussard begins law school at Howard University in Washington, D.C., this fall. But he remains eligible for the IRR recall because as an officer he can be recalled until he reaches retirement age or resigns his commission. "As a soldier, I would say this is a sign of desperation and a lack of postwar planning," Broussard says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

the military can now order people who have completed their service back in to active duty in iraq. this is because voluntary military recruit numbers are too low.

i think this is highly unfair.
if someone decides to give a portion of his/her lifetime to serve his country, that fine. i think that's a very noble contribution. but since when does one potentially owe his/her entire life to the military body, even after the individual has served his/her given time?

...it's almost seems like a soft draft...but that's just my opinion..

mod edit: gave it a catchy title instead of "i just heard on the news"

[edit on 8/22/2006 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
*Sigh* this administration treats their troops like crap.

Extended stays, multiple tours, and now bringing people who have done their share back into combat.
All proof the administration does not know how to run a war.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thank you for the information

I wonder how many of them will do their duty and go back? I wonder if they're packing their bags and families and leaving this country. :shk:

This is getting worse by the day.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockpuckExtended stays, multiple tours, and now bringing people who have done their share back into combat.

With all my dislike of this war, it's worth pointing out that according to the contract these people signed, they have not done their share. Details are readily available on the web. I feel sorry for these people but what's happening now was a part of their job description.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
No...no...no, you have it wrong.

The government is going to involuntarily call up those who have NOT completed their share of required duty. If you have 8 years to complete you military service, but if you only did 4 years, you got time left to do, so they will call them up and they HAVE to go. The problem here is the ACTIVE DUTY part. Some people may have finished their active duty, but they may have to do more.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by MasterRegal]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
When I enlisted in the Navy in 1982 it was for a six year commitment. I was originally supposed to serve 4 years active duty and 2 years Inactive Ready Reserve.

The commitment now is eight years. Usually 4 active duty and 4 years Inactive Ready Reserve. The change in commitment came right after Desert Storm and was put into place by the Clinton Administration at the request of the military services. The reasoning behind this was that some of the advanced technical schools now take three years to complete. People were just getting trained and then leaving the service.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Once again an extremely misleading title to a thread.....trying looking at the facts of who is being called back up for duty. These individuals had not finished the time stated in their contract (sometimes 4 or 8 years after active duty).

So no one is being forced to go..........they have an obligation to fulfill.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Don't you just love how the media manipulates?

They know what the military is doing is perfectly legal and nothing out of the ordinary.

They usually will talk about the unfairness of the situation, and then they will get a clueless Congressman to comment. Then last but not least, they will finally announce that this is policy.

Unfairness

Broussard begins law school at Howard University in Washington, D.C., this fall. But he remains eligible for the IRR recall because as an officer he can be recalled until he reaches retirement age or resigns his commission. "As a soldier, I would say this is a sign of desperation and a lack of postwar planning," Broussard says.

Clueless Congressman

"They've used almost every trick in the book to keep people in, to extend them well beyond their expectations," says Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Calif., a member of the House Armed Services Committee who has been critical of postwar planning by the Bush administration. "It's desperation."

Announcent of policy

The call-up will affect Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve, a segment of the reserves that consists mainly of those who have left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligations.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I lost a good job, because I was on the call back list for Desert Storm. I had extended my enlistment for 3 years to get an assignment that I wanted and my obligation went until 1992. I knew what it meant when I did it and really had no one to blame but myself. This whole thing is just the Liberal media trying to give the Democrats a leg up in the November elections.

new topics

top topics

join