It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Mines to Insecure Iranian Airspace for Enemy Aircrafts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by proprog

Thanks for letting us know...

Sounds like a job for high altitude bombing, stand off munitions, cruise missiles/UAV's and HPM attack.

There's always a workaround...

[edit on 5-26-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
proprog me thinks you would need a hell of a lot of barreage ballons to make iranian airspace insecure for us fighters. the british used them in ww2 and thwey didnt kill that many i dont think so why would they be effective now. also a barrage ballon couldnt be used at high altitude. imagine the weight of the wires nessecery to attach this balloon to the ground. or imagine if there was a strong wind. it just wouldnt work.

The idea of air mines seems retarded to me.

justin

Well, the object here would be to "kill" aircraft. It would be to make an area unsafe for flight -- simply making the intruding a/c fly higher over or divert around the area would be the goal. If it happens to snag an a/c then that would be a bonus.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bothered
Small drones. Small Charge. Accoustic recognition with delay, and command set.

Kind of like WWII sea mines.

Kind of like the invention that the otherwise absolutely brilliant Lord Cherwell spent thousands of totally wasted hours championing.

In fact, I've pretty much stolen that little passage there, but for the life of me can't remember who actually wrote it or in which book.

Aerial mines, if they couldn't get them to work in WW2, when there were thousands of fat, slow targets filling the sky at predictable altitudes and when they could get radar, proximity fuses, rockets, hollow-charge weapons and The Bomb to work, what on earth makes them a viable system now, when a single jet Pig can carry more HE (14.3 tonnes, 2,655 kph) than a four-engined bomber (10 tonnes, 450 kph) and at many times the speed and put it in the front door, instead of flattening the whole town?

Now compare that single jet (14.3 tonnes, 2,655 kph)) with the USAAF's mainstay, (7.9 tonnes, 462 kph).

And THAT jet isn't even stealth. So how are these aerial mines going to work against a Lighting 2 or a Raptor, let alone the already in-service Spirit?

edit: urls

[edit on 26-5-2008 by HowlrunnerIV]

<< 1   >>

join