It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 Tropical Storm Season Now Below Normal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   

2006 Tropical Storm Season Now Below Normal

What a difference a year makes. After the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, the 2006 season is now below normal.

As of yesterday (20 August) three tropical storms will have formed in the Atlantic in an "average" year, which is the same number that have formed this year so far. Because of multi-year averaging, that means that today (August 21) slightly more than three storms would have formed, making this year (statistically speaking) just below normal.

In the hurricane category, this year is decidedly below normal, with no hurricanes so far, while by this date 1.5 hurricanes have formed in the average of years 1944 though 2005.

More...

Interesting, to say the least. I wonder how the season will finally end? If the trend continues, then I might be just as worried... Broke is still broke in either direction.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Must be global warming...

Seriously... although I believe that global warning may exist, I think all the people that blamed global warming for last year's hurricane season streched it a bit too far.

Hopefully, all will remain calm.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by ArbitraryGuy]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Or maybe our climate/weather patterns have changed so that we wont get hurricanes untill later in the year. Have you noticed we have been getting alot more thunderstorms/ rainshowers across the U.S. The climate is indeed changing for better of for worse idk but it is strange.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If I remeber correctly, the Hurricane Season did not start until much later than normal last year.

It could be that after last years season, perhaps this year will be dead because the energy has been temporarily depleted......

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am that this year has been quiet so far. Once we get thru Sept and October, I'll be even more happy. Whether this is a sign of dramatic climate changes...super active...vs..below normal...I'm not sure but I am grateful for Mother Nature for allowing all of us who were affected by last year's hurricanes to recuperate, rebuild and strengthen our homes.

I'm in the midst of redoing my patio, but I'm still going to wait till November before redoing the screens..

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
From what I read before the season began, this year's conditions were more inclined to produce late-seasons blows, affecting the NE and the Carolina coast.

Have water temperatures in the spawning beds dropped a lot? I don't think so...

So what does that mean? Wind conditions are nipping the storms in the bud?

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhuss
Or maybe our climate/weather patterns have changed so that we wont get hurricanes untill later in the year.

Or...

Maybe some years just have more hurricanes than others...

-- Boat (Not being warmed by global warming hype!)

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
If I remeber correctly, the Hurricane Season did not start until much later than normal last year.

It could be that after last years season, perhaps this year will be dead because the energy has been temporarily depleted......

You're thinking of 2004. We didn't have our first storm until August (July 31st actually) and the season ended up above normal.
(Last year was the busiest July on record)

And yeah, the waters are a bit cooler this year and that could be because of the season we had last year....

There's a new TD about to be Debby out there btw

new topics

top topics

join